Page 467 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467468469477517567967 ... LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,340 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The amount of people who care about the anthem thing is staggering.

If they wanna stand, let em stand. If they don't, let em kneel.

There are bigger issues at hand here
    Yeah, Puerto Rico. We know.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm eagerly anticipating your postfascist manifesto, Hawk, so I can see how you acknowledge your obvious understanding of structural problems of race in America ("instances of social injustice ... [that] critically threaten our national ethos") with an explaination of why the subject of those injustices should feel compelled to participate in "entirely innocuous celebrations of community and country." I really want you to square that circle for me, because I think it would be fascinating reading.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    They enjoy a close relationship, sure, but I would stop short of labeling it an obligatorily symbiotic one. There’s a conduit between the two but it doesn’t necessarily have to be bi-directional. Of course, in case it wasn’t abundantly clear from my initial post on the topic, I’m viewing this through a kind of metaphysical lens.

I guess it does if you have designs to aggressively extrapolate beyond authorial intent.

Agitation of the mind seems markedly different than persuasively enlightening it. That’s the distinction I’m trying to make here. The instances of social injustice you highlighted are real and critically threaten our national ethos, but the cultural process I’m referring to is the simple, entirely innocuous act of acknowledging some pretty basic principles of community and country. These aren’t values designed to hurt anyone.
    The massive outbreak of flag-****ing post 9/11 would seem to me to have led to a number of people being hurt.

Which is why, I guess, I'm careful about giving a blanket exclusion for that type of thing being necessarily benign.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    They enjoy a close relationship, sure, but I would stop short of labeling it an obligatorily symbiotic one. There’s a conduit between the two but it doesn’t necessarily have to be bi-directional. Of course, in case it wasn’t abundantly clear from my initial post on the topic, I’m viewing this through a kind of metaphysical lens.

I guess it does if you have designs to aggressively extrapolate beyond authorial intent.

Agitation of the mind seems markedly different than persuasively enlightening it. That’s the distinction I’m trying to make here. The instances of social injustice you highlighted are real and critically threaten our national ethos, but the cultural process I’m referring to is the simple, entirely innocuous act of acknowledging some pretty basic principles of community and country. These aren’t values designed to hurt anyone.
    Plenty of folks have said that the US flag symbolizes, for them, not only or not even "community and country", but also/mostly/entirely a culture of domestic and/or international oppression. You're either willfully erasing their feelings in favor of your (self-admittedly sketchy) universalist metaphysics of the state; or else you're being disingenuous to serve some ouroborous flag-waving critique of dissent.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 18h18 hours ago

Trump tweets this weekend about NFL/NBA/NHL: 10

Trump tweets this weekend about Puerto Rico: 0
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    LOLGOP‏ @LOLGOP 3m3 minutes ago

I like to pretend that somewhere there is a Trump voter who's crushed because he thought Trump actually deeply cared about email security.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm eagerly anticipating your postfascist manifesto, Hawk, so I can see how you acknowledge your obvious understanding of structural problems of race in America ("instances of social injustice ... [that] critically threaten our national ethos") with an explaination of why the subject of those injustices should feel compelled to participate in "entirely innocuous celebrations of community and country." I really want you to square that circle for me, because I think it would be fascinating reading.
    I've never said that we should 'compel' these individuals to participate.

Anyways. Fascinating? I'm flattered - although my squaring here is best expressed idiomatically; don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Certain subsets of the system might be broken, but that doesn't mean that the model itself is. In fact, I'd say that we're pretty far from irreparable on any front.

I supported violent protest in Charlotte, St. Louis, Baltimore, and elsewhere, because those demonstrations were in acute response to palpable instances of injustice (or, at least, in the presence of an overwhelming sense of malpratice). I might not have agreed with all of the methods the protesters employed (attacking innocent citizens, looting), and I might not have agreed with the Presidential response to those specific tactics, but I understood exactly why those communities felt that their voices were not being heard and why they felt the need to respond aggressively and en masse.

These antics? Not so much.
    Last edited by Hawk; 09-25-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

"A few other entertainers began to pick up on that too and they hollar'd. But I guess I was the loud the biggest mouth in town.""

Man I would have loved to have seen what the diehards would say about Sinatra then if that happened today. NVM I already know.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The massive outbreak of flag-****ing post 9/11 would seem to me to have led to a number of people being hurt.

Which is why, I guess, I'm careful about giving a blanket exclusion for that type of thing being necessarily benign.
    I would suggest those (unspecific) events probably had more to do with nature of 9/11 and less to do with blindly dying on the flag (or ****ing, as it were).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Plenty of folks have said that the US flag symbolizes, for them, not only or not even "community and country", but also/mostly/entirely a culture of domestic and/or international oppression. You're either willfully erasing their feelings in favor of your (self-admittedly sketchy) universalist metaphysics of the state; or else you're being disingenuous to serve some ouroborous flag-waving critique of dissent.
    I'm not erasing their feelings, I'm just categorizing them somewhere between sorta unreasonable and entirely misplaced.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

"A few other entertainers began to pick up on that too and they hollar'd. But I guess I was the loud the biggest mouth in town.""

Man I would have loved to have seen what the diehards would say about Sinatra then if that happened today. NVM I already know.
    Because it was legitimate back then.

What kind of injustice, outside of prison sentences, are we having? We can even be president today? Police brutality is toward all races, blacks don't have a commodity on it. Is it Hispanics that breaks the laws coming here? It would be the same in Europe if they tried it over there. I am trying to find out what the kneeling down is all about. If you don't like how the company is treating you, after all you are making more money than I would make it in a lifetime, go to another country or better yet, take your riches and give it to the community to those you think are being slighted.

And because a lot of you are like up in arms about it, I laugh. They make millions and try to make a point but you ask them for some money to help, they would leave you a cold tip, especially blacks.

My past and family past went through the riggers of what life is about and we won't celebrating this kneeling down because it is frankly stupid. You make what you want about life yourself, no one is holding you down except yourself. you break the rules, there is a chance you might get a beat down but who made that decision to break the rules....you did. Why should I get upset when you do something stupid and show that kneeling down it is okay for you to be a clown.

This victimism from the Left is getting way out of control. I mean, they bitch about anything and everything and more so as sore losers. Show respect for the flag or get the f ck out of the country if you don't like what is going on....it is that simple, spoiled rich ass bastards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm not erasing their feelings, I'm just categorizing them somewhere between sorta unreasonable and entirely misplaced.
    And they're categorically different from the Charlotte/Baltimore/StL protests that you say you supported how, exactly.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    And they're categorically different from the Charlotte/Baltimore/StL protests that you say you supported how, exactly.
    Who/what was/were the target(s) of the protests in Charlotte?

Who/what are the target(s) in this instance of ... erm ... civil disobedience?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I would suggest those (unspecific) events probably had more to do with nature of 9/11 and less to do with blindly dying on the flag (or ****ing, as it were).
    But, er, are you denying that there was--regardless of perceived correlation--a massive outbreak of flag-****ing that was roughly contemporaneous with, say, the Iraq war? And your contention would be that there was no connection at all between that and American foreign policy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Who/what was/were the target(s) of the protests in Charlotte?

Who/what are the target(s) in this instance of ... erm ... civil disobedience?
    Uh, racial inequality, particularly as expressed in law enforcement and the judicial system. And, uh, racial inequality, particularly as expressed in law enforcement and the judicial system?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm glad you're so concerned with the timing and delivery mechanism for the message, though. Leads me to wonder why you were so scoldy about respecting the carriers of the "free speech" message in Charlottesville and Boston.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    What do you attribute falling NFL ratings to if it's not some combination of domestic violence, brain damage, and political activism?
    My point was thethe said they should be focusing on those issues other than activism. A lot of the same people who are bitching about the flag thing are the same who say the players made the choice themselves as far as the brain damage thing goes. And those New England fans can boo til the cows come home but they stayed and cheered for their team once the game kicked off. And they'll celebrate those same guys if they win another Super Bowl.

Yes, I think the ratings are declining. I think it's partly the brain damage and political thing, but I'm sure it's also the younger generations not having cable, more and more people flocking to soccer, etc.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    But, er, are you denying that there was--regardless of perceived correlation--a massive outbreak of flag-****ing that was roughly contemporaneous with, say, the Iraq war? And your contention would be that there was no connection at all between that and American foreign policy?
    Well ... I guess in order to properly answer this question I need to know exactly what you mean by flag-****ing. Because if you mean jingoistic flag-****ing, then yes, that existed, perhaps dominated the flag-****ing that was going on (but there was also another breed of ****ty Detroit-made car loving, Lee Greenwood crooning, all-American flag-****ing that existed simultaneous to that practiced by the Jingos.)

I understand you want to play cause and effect with the Iraq War and the Bush doctrine and unchained patriotism, and I agree that there's a thoughtful debate to be had in this realm, but how it relates to anything that I've said about the topic at hand is tenuous, at best.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Uh, racial inequality, particularly as expressed in law enforcement and the judicial system. And, uh, racial inequality, particularly as expressed in law enforcement and the judicial system?
    So there wasn't any sort of, I don't know . . . incident in Charlotte that sparked that protesting?

Just spontaneous combustion?