Page 900 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 40080085089089889990090190291095010001400 ... LastLast
Results 17,981 to 18,000 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Actually he went to great lengths to point out the hypocrisy of the media, multiple posters on this board, and the political Left in general.

He did this by citing statistics and multiple news sources, and it was thoroughly and artfully done.

Instead of additional attempts at changing the subject, it would be productive for one of you to explain why, besides political hypocrisy, you all are complaining about this now but did not complain about when "The Standard" (your words) was the guy in charge.

You can let us know if you need to consult your Twitter feed or DailyKos to learn your opinion before answering.
    You really think 57 is going to admit that you’re right or that you have a valid point? **** no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Do you think that anyone other than those attempting to justify Sundays gassing give 2 s hits about "hypocrisy" or Obama ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    ah, "the hypocrisy"
    Have to agree with Julio, these are two very very different situations

" As for the 2013 incident, you can read contemporaneous news accounts of it. About 100 migrants approached a single guard, who fired pepper balls in response. I doubt he called Obama to clear it. After the agent was reinforced, other agents used unspecified “less-than-lethal” methods to disperse the crowd. Considering the context of this recent incident and the presidential rhetoric surrounding it, I don’t think your hypocrisy argument holds a lot of water. "

Our government is teargassing unarmed people at ( across) the Mexican border and you are worried about " the hypocrisy "
    sheeeesh

perhaps the next time you feel the need to share scripture or pontificate on Christian values (New Testament) we can include the nature of hypocrisy
    Whatcha think ?

I saw that on twitter, so it isn't really what I think.
    But I am sure Daily Kos feels the same
    But I don't know
    I am fully aware that I'm a hypocrite. I do try to perform some self examination when specific examples of it come to my attention. I find it humbling and insightful, and recommend it.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ce/2117816002/

Mitch McConnell single handidly blocking the criminal justice reform. Democracy is fun. You might have the votes, but do you have this one specific voter.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quite a brand the left is building...I've said before it is losing its mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Quite a brand the left is building...I've said before it is losing its mind

Can't blame anyone for considering leaving anyone who still supports Trump. The Civil War and the question of slavery tore families apart. At it's heart, this is the same division.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Can't blame anyone for considering leaving anyone who still supports Trump. The Civil War and the question of slavery tore families apart. At it's heart, this is the same division.
    Imagine being so emotionally fragile that you can't handle someone with a differing political view point.

Maybe another march or two is needed.

But if you read the testimonials - the women admit that their husbands actually don't like Trump... but their hatred isn't as deep as they prefer.

Another data point from the same article:

A Reuters/Ipsos poll completed in early 2017 found that in the months following Trump’s election win, 13 percent of 6,426 participants had cut ties with a friend or family member over political differences. This past summer, another survey of 1,000 people found that a third declared the same. More generally, 29 percent of respondents to a May 2017 survey said their romantic relationship had been negatively affected by Trump’s presidency.
    I've seen this in my own friend circle... anecdotally, it's always the tolerant left who cannot handle a differing opinion from their own.

But sure, if you want to say it's healthy for women to end marriages bc their partner isn't anti-Trump enough, go for it. You've long been a victim of TDS yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Couldn't have said this better. Link to thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...102943232.html

------------------------------------------------

Carol Roth

Verified account

@caroljsroth
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    Ok, here we go.
    *Tweetstorm ahead*

To preface my tweetstorm, for those of you who are new or don’t know me as well, a few points of clarification:

-This is not about any person or persons; it is just my general but frequent observations

-This is not meant to cause shame, it is meant to cause self-awareness and self-reflection. I am a problem-solver by nature, but you cannot solve problems without calling them out, and sometimes you just can’t sugar coat it.

My political standing: I consider myself an “individualist”. I support individual rights & limited govt. This means, I pick from both sides. I support the right to marry whomever you want from the left’s menu & not having the govt be a nanny from the right’s menu, for example.

I follow people from both sides & like people on both sides, & despite occasional foolishness on here, try to act in good faith. I have also been in media for nearly a decade on stations & programs that lean to both sides, so I feel like I have a decent sense of each side.

So, I say this with kindness and in the spirit of helping, but many of you- my friends, acquaintances and otherwise- on the left are acting in what may start with good intentions but is ultimately in bad faith and I don’t think you realize it.

There is hypocrisy & challenges on both sides, but whereas those on the right think those on the left have bad ideas, those of you on the left think (or at least act as if you think) the people on the right are bad people. We are never going to find solutions with this mindset.

I have seen this with gun advocacy. While you don’t have to be for the 2nd amendment, instead of understanding or even listening to arguments, you call anyone who supports the Constitution and the rights it protects killers with blood on their hands.

I have seen this with immigration. Instead of understanding the challenges of a broken system, you conflate illegal immigration with actual immigration and say those who don’t support open borders are heartless, racist and/or xenophobic.

I have seen this with women. You support all women—that is, until there are women who don’t think exactly like you do.

I have seen this with race- truly, you are the ones usually focused on race vs. merits of individuals.

I have seen this with taxes. Instead of listening to why people believe government is a poor steward of capital and that people believe there are other solutions to helping others, you make tax “cuts”- literally keeping more of your own money- a referendum on being a good person.

You call the right the party of rich old men when it suits you. When it doesn’t, they are a bunch of uneducated rednecks.

You call out the hate speech of fringe groups not even accepted on the right, while your actual leaders hang out with the likes of Farrakhan, unchallenged.

And on, and on, and on. You’ve completely lost the plot.

Even the media itself covers the same stories differently, depending on if the subject is on the right or the left. I have pointed out many examples of the past year.

I understand that most-if not all of you- don’t like the guy in the White House (disclosure: I didn’t vote for him, either). But, let’s be real. He may today have an R next to his name, but he’s not really a Republican (in fact, he was a lifelong Democrat until recently)...

...- but truthfully, he’s an anomaly & his election has to do with a whole bunch of separate factors that I can explain to you if need be. But this stuff didn’t start with him...

...You did the same thing to Mitt Romney and his supporters, who is basically the most vanilla, benign person in politics. You may remember it differently, but I was in the middle of it, and it was ugly.

I'm not saying that the right doesn’t give it back or have their problems. They do-but my observation is that they are finally speaking up after having the same kinds of rhetoric slammed down their throats-being called bad people instead of people w/ ideas that you don’t agree w

If we are going to move forward as a nation, it is critical for you to recognize this and to have a willingness to hear other people. You do not have to agree with their ideas. You do not have to like the people....

...But you must realize that by and large- with some exceptions, obviously- people are coming from a good place with good intentions and see the world differently.

That’s the only way we will remain the United States of America. And frankly, those of us in the middle, which I believe to be a large part of the country, are sick of this bickering and generally exhausted.

It doesn’t matter who is living in the White House- what moves us forward or backwards is up to us as individuals, together.

Again, this is not meant to offend but inform and I hope you will give me the courtesy of believing it comes from a good and worthwhile place. I am always happy to engage in constructive discussion if you engage the same way.

Thanks for reading.
    Remember that whole... "The right says the left has bad ideas, while the left says the right are bad people" ???

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    way to go Mississippi

proving that you are who you say you are

continue to put racist garbage in charge and continue to leave the state in the trash situation it is and take all the welfare money from the so called liberal states it says it hates

what an awful state
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would draw a distinction between people who voted for Trump and those who enthusiastically support him today

I know someone who is well educated and personable and who I once had a high opinion of...but he has talked to me repeatedly about what a great man Trump is...apparently he has made it a project to inculcate this in his children....needless to say I dont think so highly of him anymore...but I still interact cordially with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    It doesnt bother me when stupid friends or family support Trump. It really pisses me off when people I know are smart buy into it. This **** is a powderkeg set to explode in 2020. What happens if Trump wins. What happens if its super close again? A situation that energizes both sides to heavily protest is going to get ugly. Especially with law enforcement heavily supporting the side most likely to lose and raise a big stink about it. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-t...rce=reddit.com

Trump admin waived background checks for employees at largest child migrant prison. I have such low faith in people when it comes to defenseless children in their custody.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Imagine being so emotionally fragile that you can't handle someone with a differing political view point.
    You say "a differing political view point" like it's a matter of degrees. Trump is clearly off the scale and doesn't believe in democracy. It's not about politics; he's incompatible with American values. He's the kind of leader America has repeatedly gone to war against.

To stand in support for Trump today is to stand against Humanity, compassion, Christian values, decency, benevolence and brotherly love. If that's where you want to hang your hat, go for it.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    You say "a differing political view point" like it's a matter of degrees. Trump is clearly off the scale and doesn't believe in democracy. It's not about politics; he's incompatible with American values. He's the kind of leader America has repeatedly gone to war against.

To stand in support for Trump today is to stand against Humanity, compassion, Christian values, decency, benevolence and brotherly love. If that's where you want to hang your hat, go for it.
    More than any president or major American political leader he demonizes and marginalizes certain minorities and people he disagrees with. I think anyone who has complaints about Americans not treating each other with respect and then turns around and blames "the left" rather than Trump for that is more than a little off in their perception of who is poisoning our politics. Disingenuous is the word.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I try my best to separate rhetoric from actions.

It's why I hated Obama despite how good of a salesman he was. His actions were deplorable.

Meanwhile, Trump doesn't believe in democracy? Didn't we just have an election with a massive peaceful transfer of power?

I just can't fathom the idea of a person ending a marriage over a politician. That is truly someone letting Trump ruin their lives for no reason other than emotions.

To each their own I guess. TDS is a very real thing, and man is it sad. Tough to respect someone who is so emotionally fragile that they can't separate it from their personal daily lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smoltzie29 View Post
    I try my best to separate rhetoric from actions.
    Within the context of the argument you are trying to advance, this distinction doesn't hold water at a number of levels.

First, speech or rhetoric is surely a type of action. And one that can be very consequential.

Second, we have a president who has backed up his rhetoric with very specific actions and policies. The Muslim travel ban. Seperating children from their parents.

Third, I'm not so sure one party to a relationship splitting from the other over Trump (an action) is much different from that party continually haranguing the other instead (which technically I suppose is rhetoric). It seems to me if anything that the former is a more mature and reasonable reaction.

Finally, while not saying that Trump is as bad as Hitler, it does seem to me at some point it is worth ending relationships over politics. And people of principle did do that during such times. Nazi Germany and the Civil War come to mind. One of the union generals in the Civil War was George Henry Thomas. From Virginia. His family never talked to him again after his choice to stay loyal to the union. They didn't even attend his funeral. I'm sure he was aware of the breach that was likely to occur when he made his choice.

ymmv
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-28-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I do find it fascinating that sturg's obsession with the left "losing its mind" was one of the things that drove him away from here on his sabbatical. And now that he's back, he's picked up right where he's left off. It's almost as if that obsession has cultivated into he himself losing his own mind over what he perceives to be people on the left losing their mind.

People still break up from relationships in this day and age due to racist in-laws. So it's not really surprising that a yugely divisive figure such as Trump would cause strain on ordinary everyday relationships. But like the Mueller investigation, sturg probably thinks what Trump has done culturally to our country with his rhetoric and actions is just a big nothing burger that the left is overreacting about.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Super (11-28-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    maybe he thinks saying the left has lost its mind is the best way to move political discourse to a higher ground

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yall have lost your minds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smoltzie29 View Post
    Yall have lost your minds