Page 319 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 2192693093173183193203213293694198191319 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,380 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Neither of you read the post to which you're responding, obviously.

(I do have to say I like that sturg went from saying he "respect[s] the heck" out of me to calling me a "loser" in the space of a couple hours, though.)
    I got triggered. Need a safe space with some playdough

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-20-2017), thethe (07-20-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Isn't the desire to want to take care of yourself without the assistance of others a good thing? Is that what you would expect a character trait of a "winner" be?
    Some of us don't have the same opportunities due to circumstances beyond our control. Such as being a triplegic from birth.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 07-20-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think someone who demands entitlements on the backs of others is a loser.
    Before you call someone a loser, you should be careful that you don't know of who you speak or their circumstances.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Some of us don't have the same opportunities due to circumstances beyond our control. Such as being a triplegic.
    I'm more than happy to help anyone who is not able bodied or mind.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    oh look at that

an i'm rubber you're glue defense. lol

again, i have said it's a coincide that of course you echo what's posted there etc
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I'm more than happy to help anyone who is not able bodied or mind.
    Glad to hear it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    The White House is a sinking ship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Glad to hear it.
    But what I do not have sympathy for are those that can provide for themselves and do not. I don't expect everyone to make themselves upper middle class but it really is not that hard to get to a 50-70k threshold with a good work ethic after 5-10 years. People just make reapply bad choices in this world and it's not my responsibility to try and rectify that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    But what I do not have sympathy for are those that can provide for themselves and do not. I don't expect everyone to make themselves upper middle class but it really is not that hard to get to a 50-70k threshold with a good work ethic after 5-10 years. People just make reapply bad choices in this world and it's not my responsibility to try and rectify that.
    I think all of us, or nearly all of us, believe in a safety net. I can't imagine any moral person who can make an argument for the wealthiest country in the world NOT having one. The dispute is over how big of a net, how high off the ground it should go, and where it should be implemented.

My personal belief is that the net is too big, too high off the ground, and should be implemented no higher than the state level. I don't mind helping someone pay for heating in the winter if they need the help. But I shouldn't need to help them if they have a cable bill, a big cell phone bill, or a late model car.

Do national poverty guidelines make sense to anyone? Do we really believe that someone in San Francisco, LA, or NYC can survive on the same amount of income as someone in Wyoming, the Arctic Circle of Alaska, or south Georgia? That is absurd. This is an example of why I think the nation is too big for the federal government to implement a program like this. I also think the cultural differences between San Francisco and Calhoun, Georgia are great enough that they shouldn't be ruled by the same set of social laws. Most of governing should be done on the local level, and was intended by the Constitution to be done on the local level. Attempting to micromanage such a huge area guarantees the type of civil unrest we see today.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think saying that we "are in the midst of a Holy war to save the west" is rhetoric that promotes violence—especially anti-Muslim violence.

Meanwhile: I ****ing love the West. I've spent the better part of my life studying western culture—from the Great Books core curriculum at university, where I was a Classics minor and, as an English major, spent a great of my time specializing in authors (the so-called High Modernists) whose work largely concerned celebrating the Occidental Inheritance. But even one of its most skilled and ardent acolytes, T. S. Eliot, tellingly ends his masterwork (The Waste Land) with a Sanskrit invocation (Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata. / Shantih shantih shantih). Indeed, one of the things that makes what we denote "Western Culture" so great is the it is agglutinative, that it incorporates (if too often by violent or economic force) alterity into its greater whole, that it allows itself to be beneficially added to and modified by the other.

To think of "The West", and western culture, as a pure and unchanged/unchanging entity is to not only embrace a fiction, but to deny that culture its real power and appeal, to rob it of its greatest strength. The West's better nature, such as it is, will prevail how it has always prevailed: by a lot of adsorption and a little absorption.
    JPX, I know you and I will almost always vote for different people, but man I enjoy your posts. Posts like the one above make me sure that if we could get media and politics out of government, we could get most people to agree to most things with a lot less of the current team competition mentality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think all of us, or nearly all of us, believe in a safety net. I can't imagine any moral person who can make an argument for the wealthiest country in the world NOT having one. The dispute is over how big of a net, how high off the ground it should go, and where it should be implemented.

My personal belief is that the net is too big, too high off the ground, and should be implemented no higher than the state level. I don't mind helping someone pay for heating in the winter if they need the help. But I shouldn't need to help them if they have a cable bill, a big cell phone bill, or a late model car.

Do national poverty guidelines make sense to anyone? Do we really believe that someone in San Francisco, LA, or NYC can survive on the same amount of income as someone in Wyoming, the Arctic Circle of Alaska, or south Georgia? That is absurd. This is an example of why I think the nation is too big for the federal government to implement a program like this. I also think the cultural differences between San Francisco and Calhoun, Georgia are great enough that they shouldn't be ruled by the same set of social laws. Most of governing should be done on the local level, and was intended by the Constitution to be done on the local level. Attempting to micromanage such a huge area guarantees the type of civil unrest we see today.
    Well said. What we have now acts as an incentive not to work and that is harmful to everyone.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think saying that we "are in the midst of a Holy war to save the west" is rhetoric that promotes violence—especially anti-Muslim violence.

Meanwhile: I ****ing love the West. I've spent the better part of my life studying western culture—from the Great Books core curriculum at university, where I was a Classics minor and, as an English major, spent a great of my time specializing in authors (the so-called High Modernists) whose work largely concerned celebrating the Occidental Inheritance. But even one of its most skilled and ardent acolytes, T. S. Eliot, tellingly ends his masterwork (The Waste Land) with a Sanskrit invocation (Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata. / Shantih shantih shantih). Indeed, one of the things that makes what we denote "Western Culture" so great is the it is agglutinative, that it incorporates (if too often by violent or economic force) alterity into its greater whole, that it allows itself to be beneficially added to and modified by the other.

To think of "The West", and western culture, as a pure and unchanged/unchanging entity is to not only embrace a fiction, but to deny that culture its real power and appeal, to rob it of its greatest strength. The West's better nature, such as it is, will prevail how it has always prevailed: by a lot of adsorption and a little absorption.
    Maybe the most substantive and useful thing I've ever read here.

Nothing irritates me more than someone masquerading as if wealth accrued by the holders of capital isn't done so on the backs of, and at the expense of, the workers who disproportionately don't see the benefits of their labor. That's why it's fair to redistribute.

But thanks for invoking the classic "loser" canard to discredit calls for stronger social supports. I simply cannot understand wanting to live in a world where everybody is reduced to "winners" and "losers", and winners are simply the rich (or rich-aspirant) amongst us. That's why I think capitalism is not only immoral, but suffocatingly short-sighted—to view human success as the capacity to produce fiat or commodity wealth, and accrue more to oneself than others can accrue to their selves, is about the most depressing worldview I can imagine.
    Though this is right up there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I thought this might be a good place to share an inside scoop.

I have a friend in Germany who is extremely well connected to financial, political and intelligence circles there. Her father was a very high ranking official with their equivalent of the CIA and earlier in his career was a spy who operated on the eastern side of the iron curtain during the cold war.

The Germans are in possession of extremely derogatory information about the Donald that will bring him down. Most of it is financial in nature. But not all.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Germans are in possession of extremely derogatory information about the Donald that will bring him down. Most of it is financial in nature. But not all.
    If it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-21-2017), Julio3000 (07-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    If it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer.
    It will good. That much I can assure you. The Germans have some ambivalence about being perceived as the party that brings him down. But really it just so happens that they are the ones best positioned to sift through the relevant information.

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Please be the Golden Shower Tape.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Please be the Golden Shower Tape.
    sorry...dry financial stuff only accountants would love...but financial forensics has a little-known sometimes glamorous side

"I am your retribution."