Page 1219 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 21971911191169120912171218121912201221122912691319 ... LastLast
Results 24,361 to 24,380 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I hope that people on all sides now realize the need for a truly independent justice department. I'm not totally sure how that would work but there are methods that have been employed with other departments. Right now the Presidency has too much influence over investigations and prosecutions. It's a dangerous power for him to wield.
    Is there any way to move the Department of Justice to the Judicial branch? Or do you think that would make the branch more partisan.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I hope everyone on all sides will now realize the importance of electing a president with integrity and respect for rule of law.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (02-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    You would have to back to Jimmy Carter to find a president with integrity and respect for the rule of law. We wouldnt have this problem if it was a Democrat doing this **** because Republicans know how to fight back. If Democrats acted liked Republicans during Obama years we would on the verge of an all out civil war.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Is there any way to move the Department of Justice to the Judicial branch? Or do you think that would make the branch more partisan.
    Huge conflict of interest. We have an adversarial justice system. You have opposing parties (here prosecution and defense) engage in proceedings against each other overseen by a neutral party (judge). The judicial branch is overseen by judges. The DOJ is responsible for prosecuting federal crimes. It would be a problem to have the neutral party be involved in the oversight of one of the parties.

Even if you split the DOJ off into it's own wing of the Judiciary and made it answerable only to the SCOTUS, you still have the problem of appeals where DOJ has an interest in the outcome of the case. This would give the SCOTUS a stake in the outcome.

Ultimately I think the best we might be able to do are measures to insulate the DOJ from undue influence. There are other agencies like that (most notably the IRS).

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    LONDON—A lawyer for Julian Assange has claimed in court that President Trump offered to pardon Assange if the WikiLeaks founder agreed to help cover up Russia’s involvement in hacking emails from the Democratic National Committee
    Assange’s lawyers said on Wednesday that former Republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher offered Assange the deal in 2017, a year after emails that damaged Hillary Clinton in the presidential race had been published. WikiLeaks posted the stolen DNC emails after they were hacked by Russian operatives.

The claim that Rohrabacher acted as an emissary for the White House came during a pre-extradition hearing in London.

Assange has argued that he should not be extradited to the U.S. because the American case against him is politically motivated. He spent almost seven years hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy in Central London claiming that he would be jailed in the U.S. if he wasn’t granted asylum. He was kicked out of the embassy last year.

His lawyers told the court that Trump’s alleged offer to pardon Assange proved that this was no ordinary criminal investigation.

Edward Fitzgerald, who was representing Assange in court, said he had evidence that a quid pro quo was put to Assange by Rohrabacher, who was known as Putin’s favorite congressman.

Fitzgerald said a statement produced by Assange’s personal lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, included a description of “Mr Rohrabacher going to see Mr Assange and saying, on instructions from the president, he was offering a pardon or some other way out, if Mr Assange... said Russia had nothing to do with the DNC leaks.”

District Judge Vanessa Baraitser, who is presiding over the pre-trial hearing in Westminster Magistrates’ Court, said the allegation would be admissible during the extradition hearing, which is due to begin next week.

If Assange appears in court in the U.S., he will face 18 charges including conspiracy to commit computer intrusion, which could total a prison sentence of 175 years.

Two months after Rohrabaher’s trip to visit Assange, the Wall Street Journal reported that he was trying to arrange a deal for Trump to pardon Assange.

The White House confirmed at the time that Rohrabacher had spoken to Trump’s chief of staff John Kelly about the plan to free Assange, but it was not clear if Trump had personally spoken to Rohrabacher either before or after his mission to London.

In 2018, Rohrabacher told The Intercept that he had been blocked from discussing the plan with the president because Kelly and other White House staffers were scared it would look like collusion.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...ck-court-hears
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-19-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

It’s over."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Runnin (02-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e8c_story.html

"Theres two people I think Putin pays, Rohrbacher and Trump"

Kevin McCarthy

I dont even know why they ask Trump or his regime for a response anymore. Seems like they could just make an alogrithim to randomly generate their response. Let me see if I can predict Trumps response.....

- Says he has never spoken to him or met him before.

- Mispronounces his name seemingly on purpose

- Says he doesnt know much about this Rohrbacher person then says he has heard good things about him and he was treated very badly by some people

- calls this another hoax specifically blaming "the DNC and their partners the media"

- rehases all the other claims against him and loops about hoaxes, Comey, pardons, and all his usual BS for a few minutes

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    - calls this another hoax specifically blaming "the DNC and their partners the media"
    Giuliani has some info on this that he has turned over to Barr.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Interesting old interview with Rohrabacher.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Putin's sometimes witting sometimes not entirely witting accomplices. It's quite a list: chosen one, Giuliani, Manafartov, Rohrabacher, Stone, Misha Flynn, and more recently most of the congressional GOP.

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I must say that this is probably a case of Rohrabacher freelancing, but nothing would surprise me at this point. DR visited Assange at the embassy in 2017. He straight-up told the media he was working on a pardon in exchange for exonerating Russia of the DNC hacks. That doesn’t put Trump in it, of course, but his denial of knowing who DR is silly. Conway said on Fox News that he was being considered for Secretary of State.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I must say that this is probably a case of Rohrabacher freelancing, but nothing would surprise me at this point. DR visited Assange at the embassy in 2017. He straight-up told the media he was working on a pardon in exchange for exonerating Russia of the DNC hacks. That doesn’t put Trump in it, of course, but his denial of knowing who DR is silly. Conway said on Fox News that he was being considered for Secretary of State.
    Seems there are three possibilities:

1) Assange's lawyer is lying

2) Rohrabacher lied to Assange when he said he was acting on behalf of chosen one

3) This was yet another quid pro quo or attempted quid pro quo

each about equally plausible
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-19-2020 at 03:37 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Rohrabacher invoking #SethRich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e8c_story.html

"Theres two people I think Putin pays, Rohrbacher and Trump"

Kevin McCarthy

I dont even know why they ask Trump or his regime for a response anymore. Seems like they could just make an alogrithim to randomly generate their response. Let me see if I can predict Trumps response.....

- Says he has never spoken to him or met him before.

- Mispronounces his name seemingly on purpose

- Says he doesnt know much about this Rohrbacher person then says he has heard good things about him and he was treated very badly by some people

- rehases all the other claims against him and loops about hoaxes, Comey, pardons, and all his usual BS for a few minutes
    - says even if it were true, there's no crime because the President has the power to do whatever he wants

- eventually admits to it
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.theroot.com/we-calculate...-tu-1841793634

Trumps apparently the 10th highest paid athlete in America based on how much of the governments money he spends at his golf courses.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I was thinking about it today and in theory if Trump loses and refuse to leave is it legal to kill him? On inauguration day 2021 if he refuses to hand over power it in my opinion becomes a coup which is treason. By extension then wouldn't be legal to murder law enforcement or secret service officer attempting to protect him?

To me this is on the secret service. They need to tell him he is attending the inauguration and handing over power or he will attend in handcuffs and leave in a paddywagon instead of a helicopter. And if any secret service agent or cop attempts to aid Trump not handing over power in any way they need to be treated as enemy combatants. Send their ass to Guantanimo.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I was thinking about it today and in theory if Trump loses and refuse to leave is it legal to kill him? On inauguration day 2021 if he refuses to hand over power it in my opinion becomes a coup which is treason. By extension then wouldn't be legal to murder law enforcement or secret service officer attempting to protect him?

To me this is on the secret service. They need to tell him he is attending the inauguration and handing over power or he will attend in handcuffs and leave in a paddywagon instead of a helicopter. And if any secret service agent or cop attempts to aid Trump not handing over power in any way they need to be treated as enemy combatants. Send their ass to Guantanimo.
    He'll be the Pres until a new one is inaugurated. Maybe they'll have to finagle a secret inauguration.

They should have indictments and arrest warrants ready for him the second he exits the WH gates.
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-20-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I know the scenario is far fetched but I have no confidence in Republicans to tell him its over. I saw someone say it somewhere else but I think that person was right. Russia flipping the election for Trump is the worst terrorist attack in our history surpassing 9/11.

It’s over."