Page 438 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 338388428436437438439440448488538938 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Might've been ****ty and vote-pandering, but its legality hasn't been fully judged.

And I blame a purposefully intractable Republican Congress for the EO as much as the former President; it reeks of something most mainstream Republicans were fine implementing, but—due to pressure from more extreme elements of their constituency—didn't want to be seen officially voting "for" it. (The half-assed healthcare overhaul under Obama falls in this category, as well.)
    This is pretty much my view on this mess, and I'm not only talking about DACA.
    It's silly political games where each party tries to manipulate the system to a point where they can tell some voters "Look what we did for you!" while maintaining the possibility of reasonable denial. Then they stack the courts with people who will agree with them in the hopes the courts will do more than is politically reasonable, and they can say, "We didn't do it, it was the courts!"

The 2nd Amendment is a great example. I love my 2nd Amendment rights. I love that everyone here has 2nd Amendment rights. But it is beyond silly that we can have a debate about exactly what rights the 2nd Amendment guarantees.

Take the line, "shall not be infringed". I think we can all agree that we don't anyone running around with a bazooka in their trunk or a SAM launcher in their garage. So why can't we amend the amendment to say that explosive or rocket propelled ordinance is not allowed?

It's all because we usually elect politicians, and rarely elect public servants.
    It sickens me.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-05-2017), jpx7 (09-05-2017), Tapate50 (09-05-2017), The Chosen One (09-05-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I am, as a rule, against means-testing for social support (I don't care, or think it's worth any progressive's worry, if a few rich kids receive paid-for public university education, or one of every ten $500k+ earner opts for government healthcare). However, I don't think it's trivial to note that most six-year-olds brought to the US illegally likely arrived from a place of, and in a state of, much greater economic hardship than those arriving legally. That may not change your mind or heart on this matter, but it is a material and emotional difference in circumstance.
    Yes, this is also part of the equation. Leaving aside for a second that it need not be a zero-sum game.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    As a basic adherent to the hackneyed but reasonable "work hard and play by the rules" formulation, I don't disagree with you. I also don't see how, for example, Sessions''s profoundly dishonest rationale for rescinding DACA has anything to do with what you're talking about. I get it, you're stating a personal opinion, but you're also, by extension, continuing to carry water for some policy decisions that are even worse than the ones that you're making good-faith objections to. If you really think this is a good first step to justice and fairness for all involved, I'm interested to hear how you come about that position.
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, Sessions and Trump telegraphed two different positions in their statements earlier today. Given that Sessions is AG, his comments aren't surprising or particularly galling. The law is the law.

But this is all political theater.

No, I don't think ripping away DACA is fair. Especially when these people have put their names and addresses into a database in good faith. At the same time, I do think tossing it back to Congress is ultimately better than allowing it to stand in isolation without appropriate oversight, funding, or accompanying legislative backbone. Or legality.

It's a crucial piece of the pie, but we're still cutting the turkey.

I can say all of this withstanding the accompanying reality that I don't have faith in Congress to do diddly-squat. Loose Lindsey says we're going to get it done by the end of the month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I am, as a rule, against means-testing for social support (I don't care, or think it's worth any progressive's worry, if a few rich kids receive paid-for public university education, or one of every ten $500k+ earner opts for government healthcare). However, I don't think it's trivial to note that most six-year-olds brought to the US illegally likely arrived from a place of, and in a state of, much greater economic hardship than those arriving legally. That may not change your mind or heart on this matter, but it is a material and emotional difference in circumstance.
    Yep. I have no problem with punishing those who break the law. But these kids didn't have a choice. I didn't like the EO, I don't think a President should be allowed to grab that much power. But it's beyond ridiculous that this law has not been changed to have some mercy on these kids. Either party making it contingent on any other law or package of laws is unconscionable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, Sessions and Trump telegraphed two different positions in their statements earlier today. Given that Sessions is AG, his comments aren't surprising or particularly galling. The law is the law.

But this is all political theater.

No, I don't think ripping away DACA is fair. Especially when these people have put their names and addresses into a database in good faith. At the same time, I do think tossing it back to Congress is ultimately better than allowing it to stand in isolation without appropriate oversight, funding, or accompanying legislative backbone. Or legality.

It's a crucial piece of the pie, but we're still cutting the turkey.

I can say all of this withstanding the accompanying reality that I don't have faith in Congress to do diddly-squat. Loose Lindsey says we're going to get it done by the end of the month.
    Eh, well, I think your assessment of the legislative side is right on. I'd pick a bone about Sessions, though. Since it hasn't been adjudicated, it's hard to play a "the law is the law" card. Also, DACA has ****-all to do with MS-13 and unaccompanied minors. So I'm content to stick with "profoundly dishonest."

Tangentially, the administration that just pardoned Joe Arpaio hardly seem like the folks to become the standard-bearers for the rule of law.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-05-2017), jpx7 (09-05-2017), Runnin (09-06-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Eh, well, I think your assessment of the legislative side is right on. I'd pick a bone about Sessions, though. Since it hasn't been adjudicated, it's hard to play a "the law is the law" card. Also, DACA has ****-all to do with MS-13 and unaccompanied minors. So I'm content to stick with "profoundly dishonest."

Tangentially, the administration that just pardoned Joe Arpaio hardly seem like the folks to become the standard-bearers for the rule of law.
    As a point of clarification, I meant that he's reading the law as it is written in (potential) absence of DACA.

Besides, and this is being heavily skirted, do you believe that DACA would have withstood judicial review? I've not seen supportive case law.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I take your point, although I believe that it inadvertently denigrates - or, at least, miscategorizes - the economic hardships legal aliens and their families almost universally face.

But hella slippery slope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    As a point of clarification, I meant that he's reading the law as it is written in (potential) absence of DACA.

Besides, and this is being heavily skirted, do you believe that DACA would have withstood judicial review? I've not seen supportive case law.
    I'd start by citing the Trump administration's own arguments for the latitude of the executive over immigration policy.

Courts have held that, in the absence of providing funding for removing all illegal aliens from the US, that the executive branch has been delegated the authority to prioritize said removal, and, explicitly, to defer action upon its discretion. It's hardly as clear-cut as you suggest.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    gold posted this earlier
    once more wouldn't hurt

Last edited by 57Brave; 09-05-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I take your point, although I believe that it inadvertently denigrates - or, at least, miscategorizes - the economic hardships legal aliens and their families almost universally face.

But hella slippery slope.
    Hence my disdain for means-testing social welfare programs.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'd start by citing the Trump administration's own arguments for the latitude of the executive over immigration policy.

Courts have held that, in the absence of providing funding for removing all illegal aliens from the US, that the executive branch has been delegated the authority to prioritize said removal, and, explicitly, to defer action upon its discretion. It's hardly as clear-cut as you suggest.
    On the basis of an imminent danger to national security, as I understand it. It's possible the law might allow for some interpolation there as far as DACA is concerned. Seems tenuous though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Brookings‏Verified account @BrookingsInst

Today, half of Americans under 18 are racial minorities and a quarter are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants http://brook.gs/2keshRB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Runnin (09-05-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Oh for **** sake.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7931481.html

Donald Trump 'wasn't aware what scrapping DACA would mean' before deciding fate of 800,000 people
    Officials expressed the concern as late as an hour before the policy was announce
    d
    Forever Fredi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (09-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Can someone tell me why/how using the DACA data base to round up dreamers is not in violation of 5th Amendment ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Because laws don't apply to the government. Who is going to stop them? Other government employees?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-06-2017), sturg33 (09-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    If DACA is so popular why can't it pass Congress? If it's because Congress does what they want regardless of popular opinion of the people they are supposed to represent then isn't it time to revolt like our founding fathers?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.