Page 258 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 1582082482562572582592602683083587581258 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'd love to set some golf cart video against all the times he said HRC lacked the STA-MIN-A to be President.
    I'd love to see a Mario Kart 64 redressing of the video, as well. (Trump is obviously Bowser.)
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    There's a difference between resisting and attacking; Gianforte didn't resist, he attacked—he committed battery without any physical prompting to justify that sort of aggressive response.
    There's also a difference between simple assault and aggravated assault, as well as between battery and assault, in general. I also would quibble with the notion that 'physical prompting' might be the only variety of prompting to draw a forceful response.

More on that in a bit.
    Last edited by Hawk; 05-27-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There's also a difference between simple assault and aggravated assault, as well as between battery and assault, in general. I also would quibble with the notion that 'physical prompting' might be the only variety of prompting to draw a forceful response.

More on that in a bit.
    Dude, am I smelling a "bitch had it coming" in the near future?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    thethe, what jpx is saying about a) colonialism and b) western military intervention creating fertile ground is neither ideologically driven nor particularly controversial. It's really only disputed in the morass of the Islamophobic internet where, IMO, the denizens have more in common with what they rail against than with the rest of the world.

Blaming those things for the fertile ground from which extremism springs doesn't absolve horrific actions nor obviate the individuals' agency in committing them, but to discount them is to embrace a sort of anesthetizing ignorance.
    I've never said we were innocent nor do I believe that we caused extremism. The teachings do that for themselves.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

More on that in a bit.
    Tee hee.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    There's also a difference between simple assault and aggravated assault, as well as between battery and assault, in general.
    I'm well aware, which is why I used the term I did.

I also would quibble with the notion that 'physical prompting' might be the only variety of prompting to draw a forceful response.
    I'd quibble that, quite often, even "physical prompting" is not sufficient cause to draw a forceful response, depending on the context. So a question from a reporter, even if it's badgering, is leagues away from the threshold I consider necessary to merit a physical, forceful response such as that exercised by Gianforte.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It's not a ridiculous proposition. Dude violently snapped when asked a question he didn't want to answer. There are GB of footage of reporters chasing reps through the halls and swarming them in doorways, "aggressively" asking questions...hell, just during the ACHA kerfuffle. It goes with the territory. It's also odd that you choose to call the reporter, who did not transgress at all, "aggressive" when it was Gianforte who crossed every personal, professional, and criminal line in the interaction. I don't necessarily disagree with you about the electoral spin, but you seem to be somewhat callously normalizing some pretty ****ty and thuggish behavior.
    I was actually just kind of musing on how the 'attack' was initially spun, not making any kind of personal characterization.

That being said, if you want to talk about professionalism, the reporter was first denied comment and then referred to a spokesperson. At that point, he should have put down his recorder and stepped aside. There was no scrum - and the question was not so indisputably newsworthy that it required cornering and repeatedly badgering Gianforte. There is no defending what the (now) Congressman did in response, which, make no bones about it, was a gross overreaction, but let's not pretend that the reporter's behavior was entirely above board either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I was actually just kind of musing on how the 'attack' was initially spun, not making any kind of personal characterization.

That being said, if you want to talk about professionalism, the reporter was first denied comment and then referred to a spokesperson. At that point, he should have put down his recorder and stepped aside. There was no scrum - and the question was not so indisputably newsworthy that it required cornering and repeatedly badgering Gianforte. There is no defending what the (now) Congressman did in response, which, make no bones about it, was a gross overreaction, but let's not pretend that the reporter's behavior was entirely above board either.
    Seriously? You're talking about a matter scant seconds between being referred to the aide and the reporter being attacked (and punched while on the ground, according to the eyewitnesses). You are reaching so hard here that it hurts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Actually, it's not seconds. It's virtually instantaneous with "Speak to Shane, please."

It's not as if he was given notice, was warned, and nevertheless persisted, as it were.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Actually, it's not seconds. It's virtually instantaneous with "Speak to Shane, please."

It's not as if he was given notice, was warned, and nevertheless persisted, as it were.
    He came into the office without permission, which apparently wasn't the first time the Guardian tried the same tactic.

I'd call that persistence.

But you know, facts ... **** em. Let's go with the drama.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I'd love to set some golf cart video against all the times he said HRC lacked the STA-MIN-A to be President.
    i would love to see the news and the orange ones disciples and what they would say if Obama or Hillary ever did this

what a fat lazy con man
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Meanwhile, the hateful, morally lapsed, ultimately self-defeating anti-Muslim mindset [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION] et al are espousing, on behalf of the United States, is not just endangering US citizens abroad, it's already getting non-Muslims killed here at home. I'd like to hope I'd have the fortitude to act as the two murdered victims did in defending their brethren from a deranged and senselessly-hate-fueled attacker like the inaptly-named Mr Christian.
    true american heros died defending the ideals of this country from radical right wingers

and not a word from the so called leader of this country
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Report under the facade of news. Everything is an opinion show. Left or right.
    Who's paying you to post this drivel?
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Who's paying you to post this drivel?
    Whoever is paying needs to be refunded.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-28-2017), jpx7 (05-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Whoever is paying needs to be refunded.
    Majority if Americans basically think the same thing. No way to trust the news media is giving real unbiased information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Majority [of] Americans basically think the same thing. No way to trust the news media is giving real unbiased information.
    Show your work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Majority if Americans basically think the same thing. No way to trust the news media is giving real unbiased information.
    always impressed by the thought that goes behind your posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    always impressed by the thought that goes behind your posts
    Forgive me for not having the same skills as you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Show your work.
    https://www.google.de/amp/s/fivethir...s-anymore/amp/

When Gallup first asked Americans about their trust of newspapers in 1973, 39 percent said they had a great deal of trust in them and by 1979, that number reached a high of 51 percent. In 2000, trust was at 37 percent, but by 2005, in the midst of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and following revelations that Saddam Hussein had had no weapons of mass destruction, trust was at 28 percent. The numbers have mostly slid since then, and in 2016, only 20 percent of Americans said they trust newspapers. Trust in television news has charted much the same course, and it fares only slightly better in 2016, with 21 percent trust.