Page 561 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 614615115515595605615625635716116611061 ... LastLast
Results 11,201 to 11,220 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Good thing you removed that jobs post 57...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    You are talking about the Ford plant promised for Michigan but will in reality be in Mexico ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    You are talking about the Ford plant promised for Michigan but will in reality be in Mexico ?
    Considering we got another sparkling jobs report today and that ford is still investing in new plants and jobs in America then yeah.. that post.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Considering we got another sparkling jobs report today and that ford is still investing in new plants and jobs in America then yeah.. that post.
    Not trying to be overtly partisan or get another wave of that stuff started, but what actual "substance" has Trump done, or the Repubs in Congress for that matter, to back up this "wave of business optimism" you guys are always referring to that has fueled these increased numbers? I know he talks about it a lot, and so on, but hasn't the overwhelming majority of all that's changed since Trump became president been much more about talks and promises (smoke and mirrors if you will) than anything you can actually see, touch, feel, "take to the bank" and so on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Not trying to be overtly partisan or get another wave of that stuff started, but what actual "substance" has Trump done, or the Repubs in Congress for that matter, to back up this "wave of business optimism" you guys are always referring to that has fueled these increased numbers? I know he talks about it a lot, and so on, but hasn't the overwhelming majority of all that's changed since Trump became president been much more about talks and promises (smoke and mirrors if you will) than anything you can actually see, touch, feel, "take to the bank" and so on?
    It's all about slashing regulation. Obama handcuffed the economy with his liberal ideology.
    Also, businesses have been anticipating this corporate tax rare being reduced since trump took office. Business is all about forecasting. If additional inveStent is planned to expand into new markets jobs are created before that time.

This is what we are seeing. It will be interesting to see how fed policy changes in 2018.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    job growth (non-farm payrolls) over the past five years:

2013 2.302 million
    2014 2.998 million
    2015 2.713 million
    2016 2.240 million
    2017 1.916 million with 1 month left
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Saw somewhere that jobs report is a mixed bag
    Wages have gone down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and yes, that Ford plant will be in Mexico.

Hey thethe, want to buy a bridge ?
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Heather Long‏Verified account @byHeatherLong

Disappointing news: Despite strong job gains in past year, wage growth remains at sluggish 2.5%

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's all about slashing regulation. Obama handcuffed the economy with his liberal ideology.

Can you name a few specifics on the "regulations" thing? I know people talk about these all the time, but not all regulations are bad, some are bad, some are good, some are stupid and nobody knows why they're even there, and so on. Which ones has Trump and the Repubs slashed that will help business "grow the economy"

Also, businesses have been anticipating this corporate tax rare being reduced since trump took office. Business is all about forecasting. If additional inveStent is planned to expand into new markets jobs are created before that time.

These would actually seem to agree with me in that the overwhelming majority of why things seem "more lively" from a business standpoint are based on those "smoke and mirrors" I mentioned earlier. It isn't that I'm necessarily saying these have to be bad things, but if they aren't backed up by something tangible fairly soon isn't the confidence level in them going to start dropping? also, wouldn't it be fair to say that this Congress isn't only slightly more agreeable to working with the current president than they were with the previous one? And as for the corporate tax rate, as I've said many times before, that might mean something if any of them actually paid it. They just use it to justify their out of control greed. Remember, ambition and drive are good and necessary things, but anything that's so out of control that it becomes an obsession is bad, at least IMO it is. One more thing, what guarantee, or something even akin to a guarantee to you see or have that all this investment will create more jobs here in the US as opposed to being sent to other countries like it has been in the past?

This is what we are seeing. It will be interesting to see how fed policy changes in 2018.

sturg and I don't agree on a whole lot these days (to say the least) but this is one area we absolutely do agree on. The Fed has been out of control so badly for so long I don't even know if there's any way to fix it. There's no telling how many billions have been flat out stolen by the aholes who run this "organization". What hope do you see of draining this particular swamp?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Uhh slashed the corporate tax rate by almost half

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Uhh slashed the corporate tax rate by almost half
    OK two things. First is that the only one worth noting and second how does half of the old rate compare with what many/most of them are actually paying right now?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    “And as for the corporate tax rate, as I've said many times before, that might mean something if any of them actually paid it. They just use it to justify their out of control greed. Remember, ambition and drive are good and necessary things, but anything that's so out of control that it becomes an obsession is bad, at least IMO it is.”

I worked Big 4 accounting for a few years. I promise you there wasn’t a year that any of the big boys didn’t get audited by the IRS. These companies pay their taxes.

Hawk, I really like your posts, but I think you are going out if your way to play coy so as to not give Trump any credit for the one thing he’s done reasonably well during his presidency.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    OK two things. First is that the only one worth noting and second how does half of the old rate compare with what many/most of them are actually paying right now?
    (1) Trump’s PR team thethe can get more into the weeds with the other stuff.
    (2) Cutting only the tax rate is like saying the 2003 SF Giants only had Barry Bonds.
    (3) Not sure what how much are they paying now even means. If you mean in general, I believe a good tax director would be happy with anything between 25-30 percent, but that also accounts for international as well as domestic. On US recognized income every company ever still pays its full 38 percent share. I don’t understand the implication that they are allowed to just not pay it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    “And as for the corporate tax rate, as I've said many times before, that might mean something if any of them actually paid it. They just use it to justify their out of control greed. Remember, ambition and drive are good and necessary things, but anything that's so out of control that it becomes an obsession is bad, at least IMO it is.”

I worked Big 4 accounting for a few years. I promise you there wasn’t a year that any of the big boys didn’t get audited by the IRS. These companies pay their taxes.

Hawk, I really like your posts, but I think you are going out if your way to play coy so as to not give Trump any credit for the one thing he’s done reasonably well during his presidency.
    Well they pay taxes on what they don't hide, outsource, or what's that other term for when they just move their HQ to another country? I can never remember that one. My point was, for those who now have ways of getting out of or around paying whatever the government says is their tax rate now, why would they start playing within the rules if the rate was a bit lower but still more than what they're paying now overall? It really wasn't meant to be instigating anything, I just see this as one of those things people tell themselves and then never really look into it any deeper because they have judged the case closed, as it were.

I promise I wasn't trying to be coy, I really don't have the time or energy to do that anymore but my point was while I agree with you that he has obviously given business reasons (and optimism) to think there's a better atmosphere for them to make more money, what he has done of actual substance to not only get this going but keep it going? My point was that most of it has been promises and "smoke and mirrors" and at some point businesses are going to figure that out and this little bubble can burst, just like all the others previously have. Whatever else Trump is, he is a really good salesman or maybe "pitch man" might be better. I'm just trying to actually see some substance to these pitches or is it all just promises that might never actually be followed up on. Seriously, I"m just asking, not trying to goad anything out of anyone.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    (1) Trump’s PR team thethe can get more into the weeds with the other stuff. ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (2) Cutting only the tax rate is like saying the 2003 SF Giants only had Barry Bonds. let's leave the roids out of this discussion. ;)
    (3) Not sure what how much are they paying now even means. If you mean in general, I believe a good tax director would be happy with anything between 25-30 percent, but that also accounts for international as well as domestic. On US recognized income every company ever still pays its full 38 percent share. I don’t understand the implication that they are allowed to just not pay it. Again if they can find it on the books they can force them to pay it, but can't we all agree that LOTS of wealth doesn't find its way onto the books, especially if it comes from outsourced related transactions, etc.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    As chop said...the big 4 firms prepare the tax returns for almost every 'big' business as well as the audit of their financials from a financial accounting perspective. I assure you there are bot large sums of unreported income. And lately there has been a big transfer pricing movement whereby shifting of revenues and expenses to different tax jurisdictions are heavily scrutinized.

This perception that companies hide money is not correct. They may shift to different locations but again it's heavily audited.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    same-sex marriage is more reprehensible to roy moore than slavery.
    and the republican party, and trump, back him.
    this is so many kinds of ****ed up, and it's all out in the open. they don't even bother to hide it anymore. how the **** can anybody support this?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    same-sex marriage is more reprehensible to roy moore than slavery.
    and the republican party, and trump, back him.
    this is so many kinds of ****ed up, and it's all out in the open. they don't even bother to hide it anymore. how the **** can anybody support this?
    It truly is astounding that the only brief bit of hesitance on (some) of their parts is that he's been accused of creeping on teenage girls. All the rest of this doesn't matter one bit. The same people that always say, "Well Robert Byrd was in the KKK." After he wins on Tuesday, he will lead the complete takeover of Republican leadership by the lunatic far right.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    With Trump's approval dropping even further it seems like a good time to throw Evangelicals some read meat with the Jerusalem move. Hope it doesn't start WWIII.

Just following through on Clinton, Bush, and Obama's broken promises. I'm sure you were complaining then