Page 999 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 49989994998999799899910001001100910491099 ... LastLast
Results 19,961 to 19,980 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...d-proffer.html

The prosecutors case against Smollett. He deserves to go to prison. Something stinks here.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post

The prosecutors case against Smollett. He deserves to go to prison. Something stinks here.
    Reading that report, holy ****, that sounds like a coverup. I mean one would have to assume Smollett is that dumb but the largess of information gathered in under a month?It smells off. Not saying that it is, but it sets the hair on my neck up that they have that amount of information. Seems more and more likely than ever that they could have just roughed up a confession from the brothers.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    That argument might work on me if we werent 10 trillion dollars in debt.
    FWIW, the Military Spending is the entirety of that. People like to point to "welfare services" but most mandatory spending should be at a net 0. We the people pay payroll taxes which fund Social Security, Medicare, etc. If we reduce our Military Spending from 600 billion a year to 400 billion a year, we would be able to whittle that dept down a whole lot faster than cutting funding to the special Olympics. Republicans like to look at these small services costing us a hundred million or a billion and don't look at the stuff costing us have a Trillion Dollars.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    FWIW, the Military Spending is the entirety of that. People like to point to "welfare services" but most mandatory spending should be at a net 0. We the people pay payroll taxes which fund Social Security, Medicare, etc. If we reduce our Military Spending from 600 billion a year to 400 billion a year, we would be able to whittle that dept down a whole lot faster than cutting funding to the special Olympics. Republicans like to look at these small services costing us a hundred million or a billion and don't look at the stuff costing us have a Trillion Dollars.
    So reducing the defense budget by 200B will get rid of our $1.2T deficit?

That's some AOC level math.

Our budget problems are defense, SS, Medicare, and interest.

But the moment we try to address, you get the sob stories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Serious question sturg? Can you read?

"If we reduce our Military Spending from 600 billion a year to 400 billion a year, we would be able to whittle that dept down a whole lot faster than cutting funding to the special Olympics"

How does that equate to

"So reducing the defense budget by 200B will get rid of our $1.2T deficit?"

FWIW no one is willing to do the work to wipe out the deficit. You know why? Because we have to raise taxes to do that reasonably, and no one wants that. Even if you cut all our discretionary spending, that doesn't wipe out the funding. THe issue is that we have a deficiency in our mandatory spending because of failures of previous governments, who robbed that to pay for other projects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Serious question sturg? Can you read?

"If we reduce our Military Spending from 600 billion a year to 400 billion a year, we would be able to whittle that dept down a whole lot faster than cutting funding to the special Olympics"

How does that equate to

"So reducing the defense budget by 200B will get rid of our $1.2T deficit?"
    Yes. I can read. Perhaps you should look at what you said again:

FWIW, the Military Spending is the entirety of that.
    This was a response about how much debt we are in.

so, first of all... you are extremely wrong. The military spending is not, in fact, the entirety of that.

You then go on to say we can cut $200B to whittle that down.

To your earlier wrong comment, you're gonna need to go much further than that, which is why I brought up medicare, SS, and interest.

---------------------------------------------

FWIW no one is willing to do the work to wipe out the deficit. You know why? Because we have to raise taxes to do that reasonably, and no one wants that.
    Wrong again. The problem is the spending. No reasonable amount of taxation can fix this. For example, if we doubled everyone's tax rates, that would come up short in closing our deficit (not debt - deficit)

We have to cut spending. Nobody is willing to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    so, first of all... you are extremely wrong. The military spending is not, in fact, the entirety of that.

You then go on to say we can cut $200B to whittle that down.
    it mainly is. I'm not talking about one year of military spending. Since 2001, we've spent about 10 trillion dollars on military spending. The current deficit is 779B 1.25 Trillion if you will is a number factoring in expected need to borrow. Again what I'm talking about is chipping away at a huge chunk of that. The rest needs to come from increased revenue and other strategic cuts. reality is that we have money coming in to cover the things that "need to be cut" like you say medicare and SS. They just need a few things between better running of the programs and an increase in revenue to cover the Reagan era borrowing against those systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    it mainly is. I'm not talking about one year of military spending. Since 2001, we've spent about 10 trillion dollars on military spending. The current deficit is 779B 1.25 Trillion if you will is a number factoring in expected need to borrow. Again what I'm talking about is chipping away at a huge chunk of that. The rest needs to come from increased revenue and other strategic cuts. reality is that we have money coming in to cover the things that "need to be cut" like you say medicare and SS. They just need a few things between better running of the programs and an increase in revenue to cover the Reagan era borrowing against those systems.
    I'd be happy to cut military spending.

I'd cut 25% indiscriminately across the board. This will never happen though because 57 will tell us about some grandma that Trump is shooting in the head

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'd be happy to cut military spending.

I'd cut 25% indiscriminately across the board. This will never happen though because 57 will tell us about some grandma that Trump is shooting in the head
    25% is pretty hard to pull off indiscriminately. You have to do any spending cuts as stepping stones. Mainly do things like give departments time to find ways to cut costs and incentivize them to do so. Maybe say we're going to cut your spending by 15% next year unless you find a way to cut your spending by 10% before hand. Some services are 100% necessary to keep the economy running and need to be treated as such. Even the military spending is important for the economy. But it can be done much better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    25% is pretty hard to pull off indiscriminately. You have to do any spending cuts as stepping stones. Mainly do things like give departments time to find ways to cut costs and incentivize them to do so. Maybe say we're going to cut your spending by 15% next year unless you find a way to cut your spending by 10% before hand. Some services are 100% necessary to keep the economy running and need to be treated as such. Even the military spending is important for the economy. But it can be done much better.
    I would support this approach.

This is much better, and more effective, than raising taxes, which won't do the trick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Weird you'd post something from the Free Beacon, considering they're the ones who first funded the Dossier.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Weird you'd post something from the Free Beacon, considering they're the ones who first funded the Dossier.
    I dont care about sources. I care about news and what they are reporting is obviously truth.

And opposition research is standard. Funnelling through the fbi and starting a coup is whats been the buggest scandal in our nations history.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

To be fair, people file false police reports on a daily basis and literally nothing happens to probably 90+ percent of these individuals. This one is obviously more high profile, money was exchanged, and more police resources were involved, but still my point remains. People seem to be way over-reacting here. The biggest offense seems to be felony filing of a false police report, which is a misdemeanor in most jurisdictions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I dont care about sources. I care about news and what they are reporting is obviously truth.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahha ha

I hate when something is so depressing that it's actually funny.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Cool, so there’s no problem with anything being discussed in your article, since the only concern they’re bringing up is the source of the hate crime data. Glad we had this talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Cool, so there’s no problem with anything being discussed in your article, since the only concern they’re bringing up is the source of the hate crime data. Glad we had this talk.
    The argument has been "look at the increase in hate crimes during Trump. This must be because of him"

The only reason this happening is because fake reports and a purposeful movement to get more reporting. So in reality there is no increase.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    The argument has been "look at the increase in hate crimes during Trump. This must be because of him"

The only reason this happening is because fake reports and a purposeful movement to get more reporting. So in reality there is no increase.
    Your article does not prove nor even actually claim this. While it briefly mentions a rise in hate crime hoaxes, it doesn’t provide any specifics on the actual project it’s discussing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Wooo yet another logical fallacy.

If some instances of reporting are false, then all instances of reporting must be false.

It's like people forget that Unite the Right even existed as a large scale protest. Before Trump gave power to the alt-Right the racisty types if they wanted to be in public had to do it via Tea Party as a guise of hating taxes. Now they can just be out in the open. Racism hasn't increased under Trump, it's just become more mainstream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Your article does not prove nor even actually claim this. While it briefly mentions a rise in hate crime hoaxes, it doesn’t provide any specifics on the actual project it’s discussing.
    Theyve spent millions of dollars to increase reporting after trump got elected. Thats what the 'rise' is about.