Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to the Demise of the GOP?

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts

What Happened to the Demise of the GOP?

I remember reading all over the place that the GOP was finished - they couldn't win the WH because the demographics were trending away from them, the electoral map predicted Democratic inevitability on a regular basis, and the GOP was doomed to irrelevancy.

Well here we are on November 9th, 2016. The Reps control the WH. They control the Senate. They control the House. They will shortly tip the balance their way in the SCOTUS.

What happened?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Hillary Clinton and DWS happened.
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-09-2016), zitothebrave (11-09-2016)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    [QUOTE=Forever Fredi;350010]Hillary Clinton and DWS happened.[/QUOTE

Obamacare happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    [QUOTE=Krgrecw;350013]
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Hillary Clinton and DWS happened.[/QUOTE

Obamacare happened.
    Prospects of allowing terrorists to enter this country legally also happened.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think it might be worth noting that while the GOP did well last night overall, the election of Donald Trump as president will likely wind up as a "mixed blessing" for the Republican party. Sure, right now everybody's thrilled, not at winning, but also at beating Hilldog. If your memory were a bit longer, or if you just paid attention during the campaign season, the Donald was busy much of the time either saying or doing things that many Republicans found not only against their usually method of operation, but fairly often WAY different from their usual agendas.

If he does the things he said he would do we'll see how long this honeymoon lasts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I remember reading all over the place that the GOP was finished - they couldn't win the WH because the demographics were trending away from them, the electoral map predicted Democratic inevitability on a regular basis, and the GOP was doomed to irrelevancy.

Well here we are on November 9th, 2016. The Reps control the WH. They control the Senate. They control the House. They will shortly tip the balance their way in the SCOTUS.

What happened?
    It's still to be seen whether or not Trump is a true in for the GOP.
    thank you weso1!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-09-2016)

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    It's still to be seen whether or not Trump is a true in for the GOP.
    I don't disagree with that, but the narrative had been that (R) simply was no longer a viable national party. It was said many times by serveral posters here. The inevitable didn't last a single election cycle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't disagree with that, but the narrative had been that (R) simply was no longer a viable national party. It was said many times by serveral posters here. The inevitable didn't last a single election cycle.
    Another amazing thing out of this election is that when African Americans and Hispanics are in a better position in 4 years they will no longer be a shoe in voting block for liberal democrats.
    Natural Immunity Croc

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts

Now people really have to think if Obamas policies and hillarys failure to get elected have really pushed back the democrats. If somehow the economy turns around and Hispanics get behind the GOP within the next four years, the democrats may be in trouble

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Another amazing thing out of this election is that when African Americans and Hispanics are in a better position in 4 years they will no longer be a shoe in voting block for liberal democrats.
    I would change that "when" to an "if."

There's going to be a lot of change in both parties as a result of this election. The non-college educated segment of the public has been suffering hard times and they saw their opportunity here to assert themselves against the elites in both parties. Curious to see what the shake-out will be.

kr, 8 years ago they were writing post-mortems on the Republicans after Obama defeated McCain and the House and Senate were firmly under Democratic control. Given the shifting sands of the sentiments of the voting populace, I think we'll continue to see some back-and-forth. I think the House (and now likely the Supreme Court) will be conservative for the remainder of my life, but the Senate could shift back and forth a couple of times.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-09-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Now people really have to think if Obamas policies and hillarys failure to get elected have really pushed back the democrats. If somehow the economy turns around and Hispanics get behind the GOP within the next four years, the democrats may be in trouble
    Even with all of trumps rhetoric he got more Hispanic votes than Romney. Media poisoning did not work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I would change that "when" to an "if."

There's going to be a lot of change in both parties as a result of this election. The non-college educated segment of the public has been suffering hard times and they saw their opportunity here to assert themselves against the elites in both parties. Curious to see what the shake-out will be.
    Agreed but I'm confident that if we stop selling out America to the global elites that will happen.

It's not just white uneducated voters even though that was the predominant voter block. He outperformed projections with blacks/Hispanics /women/college educated as well. This was a big rejection of the globalist agenda and I could not be more proud of this country for sending the message.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The R candidates that were trotted out at the primaries for the most part weren't nationally viable. If Ted Cruz, who has the charisma of wet sock, ran against Hillary he can't carry the rust belt states and Florida. He lacks that large appeal.

That being said if the dems trot out another Hillary the reps have a shot. If this election was Trump/Booker or Trump/Bernie, or Trump/Warren, then he's cooked because the same people who rallied for Obama would back them and the new young group would back them. Which is a group Trump was able to poach some folks from Hillary because she has the charisma of a shaved hamster.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Even with all of trumps rhetoric he got more Hispanic votes than Romney. Media poisoning did not work.

I'd like to see the black vote. I imagine that trump did just as well as Romney with blacks while hillary did a lot worse than obama.

I wonder if Hispanics are not a more diverse voting group than blacks are?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Agreed but I'm confident that if we stop selling out America to the global elites that will happen.

It's not just white uneducated voters even though that was the predominant voter block. He outperformed projections with blacks/Hispanics /women/college educated as well. This was a big rejection of the globalist agenda and I could not be more proud of this country for sending the message.
    But they were clearly the difference. We'll have to see how going it alone will work for us. With interest rates as low as they are ever going to get, there's not a lot of tools in the toolbox if the economy takes a downturn.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I'd like to see the black vote. I imagine that trump did just as well as Romney with blacks while hillary did a lot worse than obama.

I wonder if Hispanics are not a more diverse voting group than blacks are?
    Hispanics are much more diverse economically than African-Americans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Hispanics are much more diverse economically than African-Americans.
    And that will be key for conservatives moving forward. How can we ensure that blacks and Hispanics become more prosperous and therfore not need the Ds welfare.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    What happened was that the media failed in their apart to get Hillary elected. Now the right has house, Senate, Supreme Court, and the presidency in its back pocket. The fall of the GOP was greatly exaggerated by the media and like usual they were way off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Democrats just nominated a historically bad candidate. Republicans had been running a smear campaign against Hillary for almost 25 years. Some of it I am sure she deserved and some I am sure she didn't.

I wonder what's going to happen when Trump starts back peddling on his campaign promises. I doubt he has Hillary brought up on charges. I doubt he departs anyone or build a wall. He isn't going to bring jobs back. Best case he gets lucky and the rides the coattails of Obama. Presidents can't affect an economy on day 1. It takes time to implement policies and have them take effect. If the economy improves in his first 2 years he will take all the credit but really it should be Obama.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (11-11-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    When the pendulum swings too much one way, voters come out on the other side.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-09-2016)