Thread: The problem with Clvclv's new blog

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

The problem with Clvclv's new blog

For those who haven't read it, clvclv has a new blog up, arguing that the Braves can be competitive without giving up core pieces.

If you haven't read it, hie thee hence: https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress...p-core-pieces/

The problem is ... it's almost, almost convincing. So much so that, when we inevitably settle for less, it's going to be just all kinds of disappointing.

::sigh::

John

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-09-2016), Runnin (11-09-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    For those who haven't read it, clvclv has a new blog up, arguing that the Braves can be competitive without giving up core pieces.

If you haven't read it, hie thee hence: https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress...p-core-pieces/

The problem is ... it's almost, almost convincing. So much so that, when we inevitably settle for less, it's going to be just all kinds of disappointing.

::sigh::

John
    Truly, I found the proposals therein to be reasonable and attainable, as well as a fine use of scarce resources. Bravo, clvclv.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-10-2016), JohnAdcox (11-10-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Problem is that it doesn't resolve our biggest problem. Which is the 29M we'll be paying Kemp and Markakis over the next 2 years.

IMO the solution is building a Kemp/Markakis for Mac trade as the start of our offseason. NOt sure the other pieces but that would be the way to approach it for my money. In this scenario we have 3 high paid not great vets. Hammel is about a league average pitcher. Which is valuable, but hardly the solution to our problems.

Reality is we're a wild card (think Charlie Kelly, not playoff spot) team waiting for our pitching to develop.

For me there are 2 options for the Braves, trade Freeman and Julio and go full rebuild. Or move our existing deadweight players like Kemp and markakis and get young now and hope for the best.

I'd also look heavily at another Arroyo/Touki type of deal. JJ Hardy is one player who comes to mind given his inability ot stay healthy. and just not really being worth it.

Infact I think we could really make a Hardy deal work for us. Markakis and Albies for Hardy, Sisco, Mountcastle and Reyes plus 3M cash.

Where we lose is obviously the best prospect, we gain a huge amount of cash next year when we have a legendary Free Agent class, we also divest a prospect who may never really be worth it to us. Swanson is a SS and Ozzie is a SS. One of them would move to 2B and massively diminish their value. Instead we move Ozzie for Sisco a really highly regarded catching prosepct, something our system is 100% devoid of and he could probably catch for us now but for sure by 2018. Mountcastle is a SS prospect who likely won't be able to stay at SS but has an intriguing bat that could play out to be a better player for us than Ozzie. Reyes is another 3B prospect with some potential though is sketchy.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Problem is that it doesn't resolve our biggest problem. Which is the 29M we'll be paying Kemp and Markakis over the next 2 years.

IMO the solution is building a Kemp/Markakis for Mac trade as the start of our offseason. NOt sure the other pieces but that would be the way to approach it for my money. In this scenario we have 3 high paid not great vets. Hammel is about a league average pitcher. Which is valuable, but hardly the solution to our problems.

Reality is we're a wild card (think Charlie Kelly, not playoff spot) team waiting for our pitching to develop.

For me there are 2 options for the Braves, trade Freeman and Julio and go full rebuild. Or move our existing deadweight players like Kemp and markakis and get young now and hope for the best.

I'd also look heavily at another Arroyo/Touki type of deal. JJ Hardy is one player who comes to mind given his inability ot stay healthy. and just not really being worth it.

Infact I think we could really make a Hardy deal work for us. Markakis and Albies for Hardy, Sisco, Mountcastle and Reyes plus 3M cash.

Where we lose is obviously the best prospect, we gain a huge amount of cash next year when we have a legendary Free Agent class, we also divest a prospect who may never really be worth it to us. Swanson is a SS and Ozzie is a SS. One of them would move to 2B and massively diminish their value. Instead we move Ozzie for Sisco a really highly regarded catching prosepct, something our system is 100% devoid of and he could probably catch for us now but for sure by 2018. Mountcastle is a SS prospect who likely won't be able to stay at SS but has an intriguing bat that could play out to be a better player for us than Ozzie. Reyes is another 3B prospect with some potential though is sketchy.
    I like the idea of what you are proposing, I just don't like giving up a top 20-30 prospect to accomplish it. I think we should ditch Markakis too, I just think we can do it in a more pragmatic way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I like the idea of what you are proposing, I just don't like giving up a top 20-30 prospect to accomplish it. I think we should ditch Markakis too, I just think we can do it in a more pragmatic way.
    This is my belief as well. I know you have to give to get. But Markakis hasn't been abysmal. We can get rid of him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-10-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I think Markakis for Hardy in a bubble is possible if Baltimore has another SS lined up. This proposal had more to do with us getting a really good catching prospect.I don't want to get rid of Ozzie, but it's a move that I think would make more sense. If we wanted to get back another prospect I wouldn't be opposed at all
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Sisco, Mountcastle, and Reyes is not a good enough package to give up Albies for. The fixation on Albies 'massively diminishing' his value by playing 2B for us is off base, IMO. A player's value to a team is not just in what he could bring back in a trade. If Albies is playing for us, hitting well, and playing good defense, then it doesn't really matter if it's at SS or 2B. He's a potential 4 WAR player at either spot.

And some scouts have argued that 2B is his best position anyway.

I just don't understand the desire to trade him for a collection of mediocre prospects just because we feel like we have to trade him to get back his true value as a SS.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-10-2016), JohnAdcox (11-11-2016), mfree80 (11-10-2016)