I'm thinking the plan is to create some options come July by layering positions. We know we're not there yet, but we have to sell some tickets with the new park, and we cannot hamstring ourselves for the future. We showed last July that we're not abiding by the old school ways of only buying or only selling. Yes Kemp was a salary exchange, but we were also going after Mac to set up 2017. I think we can do the same thing this year with some more moves this offseason. We can trade some guys and promote others if we're trying to win. Yes, stranger things have happened and competitive ball late season sells tickets. We could aslo go full fire sale and trade all the vets and spin it that it actually made the Yankees better and more interesting to watch while adding to their farm system.

OF- Kemp/Markakis- Depending on the needs of the market come July we can peddle a RH power hitter or an OBP minded LH OF. Inciarte could slide to RF with Mallex playing CF if we trade Nick. DPete/Mallex could platoon in LF if we trade Kemp. To trade Kemp we would have to have another middle of the order RH power hitter. I'm personally in favor of Longoria. I could see us acquiring another OF prospect close to the majors to help with this as well.

RP- We're going to have a lot of depth in the pen. Johnson/Arodys/Kroll/Withrow/Paco could be flipped and replaced with pre-arb guys like Mauricio/Simmons/Winkler/Ramirez/Minter/Dirks To do this we should probably sign another veteran lefty in the pen . I'm in favor of Mike Dunn as he is an ex Brave and worked under our new pitching coach in Miami. Cecil or Logan would be good adds as well. I could even see a righty like Neftali added at the right price. It's a deep market for relievers we should take advantage and create some trade chips.

SP- Julio is safe and Folty probably is as well. The vets we pick up on 1 to 2 year deals like Dickey could be flipped and replaced with guys like Newcombe/Wisler/Blair/Weigel/Whalen. I could see us getting a guy like Odorizzi or Santana so we only have two revolving doors in the rotation. Then we'd only need 2 kids to step up and show they're ready to go to be in the rotation. That would depend on the cost of course. We could also go with 3 guys on short term contracts and play the odds. We really just need them to have a good first half and for some kids to step up.

IF- Swanson and Freddie are safe. Garcia doesn't have much trade value, but I cannot see him as a Brave in 2018. We could sign a guy like Valbuena who could either stick around for a year or two or be flipped if/when Rio shows he can be a left handed part of the solution at the corner. TD could also play a part at some point next year if he can cut down on the K's. As many have stated Jace's value lies in the fact he is pre-arb. He could be flipped and replaced with a guys like Moore or Camargo.

C- Flowers is in the last year of his 2 year deal. If we can get some depth this offseason he could be an option to be flipped as well.

So, if we load up on vets it doesn't mean we're not giving the kids options, we're giving the front office options.