Thread: Looking Ahead- 2020 Election

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    He's the common man.
    True enough, but I wonder if Trump's proposed tax cuts, if enacted, would benefit those in the middle income range. Not trolling here. Just curious. There's an aesthetic disconnect going on for Democrats and they are going to have close that chasm.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2016)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Maybe we should have an 'Impeachment Watch' thread. The 'Prediction professor' agrees with my prediction. Guess that makes me the Prediction pupil. Undoubtedly a lot of folks are skeptical Trump will last the full 4 years, based on the character Trump has already shown us:

"“I'm going to make another prediction,” he said. “This one is not based on a system; it's just my gut. They don't want Trump as president, because they can't control him. He's unpredictable. They'd love to have Pence — an absolutely down-the-line, conservative, controllable Republican. And I'm quite certain Trump will give someone grounds for impeachment, either by doing something that endangers national security or because it helps his pocketbook.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I'm sure the same people who think Trump will get impeached are the same assclowns who spent over a year telling us that Trump couldn't possibly get elected. How'd that work out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    You obviously didn't read the article. And no, I repeatedly warned Trump could win as well. So assclown to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    And I'll add, Trump is a fool if he surrounds himself so much with GOP cronies. He should beware the Ides of March. Figuratively speaking. I think.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Well, you criticized him for considering his talented, liberal son-in-law for a chief advisory role a few hours ago in another thread ... so I'm not really sure what the poor guy can do to win in your book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Bull about his son-in-law being liberal. If he supported Trump's campaign, then he's not liberal. And it's not that Trump can't win me over. He just won't. It's not in him. We'll see who he ends up placing in his cabinet. So far, the names being bandied about give me no hope. But hey, I'd love it if I'm wrong about all of this and he surprises me. I did laugh that he's already kicked Christie to the curb. Hope springs eternal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    When the Republicans re-built after 2008, they went further to the right philosophically and I imagine the Dems will tilt to the left. My guess is that the part of the left spectrum that supported Sanders is doing a reserved "We told you so" after Tuesday. I don't know if it's the brand that needs to be totally rehabilitated. Voters still resonate to parts of the platform that relate to economic fairness and a lot of union households didn't see Hillary as addressing their needs. The question on the Republican side is whether or not they have captured those voters for a generation or more. I would like to see the Dems reach out more to economically liberal/culturally conservative voters. When I got my start in politics, a large portion of the Democratic base was composed of social oconservatives who had seen the positive results of the New Deal. I think the Democrats' purging of social conservatives who support them on economic issues has been a big detriment to them. Hard to find middle ground on a lot of these social issues, so I don't know if it's possible. Of course, if Trump can't deliver economic benefits to a lot of the Union folks who voted for him, they will be up for grabs again.

As for the people that will head up the Dems, I think Warren becomes somewhat of a leading spokesperson. Corey Booker and Julian Castro will also be featured. Al Franken probably does a lot of promotion. Tim Kaine is probably toast. Hard to know about Cuomo. Schumer has hit his ceiling and given his sentiments about Wall Street, I don't see him becoming a universally popular figure in Democratic circles. Chris Von Hollen is probably a rising star. Problem for the Democrats (and every party goes through this) is how to reconcile their establishment element with their progressive element. Von Hollen is a prime example. He defeated Representative Donna Edwards--who is more liberal than Von Hollen--in the primary. I don't think there are hard feelings in Maryland, but the establishment is going to have to let go a bit if it wants to expand its base. I can't remember where I read the article, but there were complaints after Sanders' fell that the Democrats were running to the middle and playing defense and that golden opportunities, especially in Pennsylvania, were being sacrificed as a result. So that's the fight that will be taking place.

Bold font - Amen! But I can't see it happening, the party is too wedded to abortion and has so maligned those holding traditional social views. It'll take a really special politician to pull it off. President Obama could have been that type of special politician but he didn't tact that way.

Can't see Warren or Franken having tremendous traction. Kaine is toast. Booker or Castro might be okay options. I'd think a socially traditional, Roman Catholic, Latino would be a good way to go. But again, can't see a Dem budging on abortion. Someone from a state like Texas or Florida would be a smart move for the Dems as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Depends on how it goes for Trump. If it's going pretty well they'll trot out someone who'll be a bit of a longshot. If it isn't it will almost certainly be Warren or Booker and they should wlak their way into the white house.

That being said, I'm guessing one of 2 things, if it's a longshot it may be a Bernie or heck maybe even Hillary again. Send her out this time as a calm leader rather than the awkward Cheerleader. Maybe for long shot Michelle Obama but I don't think she would want it.

Oh, please no! Please, please, please let this be the end of the Clintons in the spotlight.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Bold font - Amen! But I can't see it happening, the party is too wedded to abortion and has so maligned those holding traditional social views. It'll take a really special politician to pull it off. President Obama could have been that type of special politician but he didn't tact that way.

Can't see Warren or Franken having tremendous traction. Kaine is toast. Booker or Castro might be okay options. I'd think a socially traditional, Roman Catholic, Latino would be a good way to go. But again, can't see a Dem budging on abortion. Someone from a state like Texas or Florida would be a smart move for the Dems as well.
    I think the environmental types are even a bigger challenge than pro-choice voters to the Dems right now. Hillary has to be bemoaning her "we're going to close the coal mines" line, but the new Democratic coalition is rife with folks who tape fallen leaves back onto trees. But the failure to listen to--and protect--guys like Stupak has hurt the Dems.

I think Franken and Warren will be big-time fundraisers and spokespeople, but the road to the nomination will be a long one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    50, I'm not sure my particular demographic is worth aiming for, but I'm ripe for the picking. Just can't envision your party even trying. And if you tried you'd catch too much flack from the left.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Obama sign an Executive Order barring federal funds for abortions as a compromise to folks like Stupak to get them to sign on the bill? I remember there being something like that.
    Forever Fredi

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I'm just sad that Kanye is a Trump supporter and I can't count on him to run against Trump in 2020.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I'm just sad that Kanye is a Trump supporter and I can't count on him to run against Trump in 2020.

I guess he really is a genius

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I thought this is a relevant time to bring this back up.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.