Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead- 2020 Election

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Looking Ahead- 2020 Election

Yes it's early, but who are some possible dems that will go up against Trump? I don't see a lot of great choices for the dems right now.

Also, how do they go about fixing their heavily damaged brand? A candidate like Trump doesn't win unless there's some serious problems in the Democrat party.

So what's next? Sit back and pray that Trump messes things up, or offer real solutions and change to help fix the party?

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Booker, Warren, maybe Cuomo?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawking4life View Post
    Yes it's early, but who are some possible dems that will go up against Trump? I don't see a lot of great choices for the dems right now.

Also, how do they go about fixing their heavily damaged brand? A candidate like Trump doesn't win unless there's some serious problems in the Democrat party.

So what's next? Sit back and pray that Trump messes things up, or offer real solutions and change to help fix the party?
    I honestly can't even think of one possible good choice from over there, but remember that's how Obama came up and through the system in warp speed. The Dems have been waiting in a holding pattern for "Hilldog's turn" but at least 8 years. I think it's pretty much back to square one for them, which may be good for the Repubs, but it may not be so good as the Dems may come up with a real threat next time around.

To be fair though, I don't really see anyone on the Repub side (waiting in the wings) who's that awesome either. I know you guys probably like Rubio, or Cruz, or "insert other here", but if there's a really sparkling successor for Trump I don't know who it is. Of course you don't to worry about that for at least 4 years, maybe 8, who knows?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Perhaps a more interesting discussion, if Trump struggles the next four years, can/will the RNC choose someone else as their nominee?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how that process works.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Booker, Warren, maybe Cuomo?
    I could see Warren as a potentially good VP pick next time, to be honest Hilldog should have picked her this time around. I may be wrong, but I just don't see her as a top of the ticket person. I don't know who Booker is, I guess I'm showing my disconnect with the American voting base.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I could see Warren as a potentially good VP pick next time, to be honest Hilldog should have picked her this time around. I may be wrong, but I just don't see her as a top of the ticket person. I don't know who Booker is, I guess I'm showing my disconnect with the American voting base.
    Corey Booker from NJ. He's an African American who was quite the starlet at the DNC convention IIRC.

IMO, I think we are going to see the DNC focus on minority candidates moving forward. They really need someone to stimulate the black/latino vote.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I honestly can't even think of one possible good choice from over there, but remember that's how Obama came up and through the system in warp speed. The Dems have been waiting in a holding pattern for "Hilldog's turn" but at least 8 years. I think it's pretty much back to square one for them, which may be good for the Repubs, but it may not be so good as the Dems may come up with a real threat next time around.

To be fair though, I don't really see anyone on the Repub side (waiting in the wings) who's that awesome either. I know you guys probably like Rubio, or Cruz, or "insert other here", but if there's a really sparkling successor for Trump I don't know who it is. Of course you don't to worry about that for at least 4 years, maybe 8, who knows?
    Good question.

I'd love to see Tim Scott put his name in at some point. African American Senator from SC that just got reelected to his first full term.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawking4life View Post
    Good question.

I'd love to see Tim Scott put his name in at some point. African American Senator from SC that just got reelected to his first full term.
    So if the Repubs run Tim Scott vs. the Dems Cory Booker, two African Americans candidate at one time. Would the world simply implode into nothingness? I'm not sure the nation could take that to be honest.

EDIT: And both parties and their followers would probably still try to play the race card against each other.
    Last edited by Oklahomahawk; 11-10-2016 at 02:55 PM.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    Someone like Warren will take this opportunity to say the far left should now be in control of the party. Booker is probably a solid bet to be in the running. Perhaps Tim Kaine could be a player? McAuliffe in Virginia might have been a possibility, but uh, not so much anymore. The party doesn't have that central leader at the moment. Kind of what they get for putting all their eggs in the Clinton basket the last couple of years.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a primary challenge for Trump if the Republicans get squashed in the midterms. Ryan could be a possibility. Rubio has a lot to learn, but I don't think he's done yet. I'm certain Cruz will jump at the chance. He comes off as someone who won't stop until he's president.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Someone like Warren will take this opportunity to say the far left should now be in control of the party. Booker is probably a solid bet to be in the running. Perhaps Tim Kaine could be a player? McAuliffe in Virginia might have been a possibility, but uh, not so much anymore. The party doesn't have that central leader at the moment. Kind of what they get for putting all their eggs in the Clinton basket the last couple of years.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a primary challenge for Trump if the Republicans get squashed in the midterms. Ryan could be a possibility. Rubio has a lot to learn, but I don't think he's done yet. I'm certain Cruz will jump at the chance. He comes off as someone who won't stop until he's president.
    And if Trump fulfills his promises he will have to go against several of their usual stances/practices. If his popularity numbers are strong in 3+ years then it shouldn't be a problem, if not the usual suspects you mentioned will come out of the woodwork after him.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Must we?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-10-2016), Metaphysicist (11-12-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    2028 book me
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    When the Republicans re-built after 2008, they went further to the right philosophically and I imagine the Dems will tilt to the left. My guess is that the part of the left spectrum that supported Sanders is doing a reserved "We told you so" after Tuesday. I don't know if it's the brand that needs to be totally rehabilitated. Voters still resonate to parts of the platform that relate to economic fairness and a lot of union households didn't see Hillary as addressing their needs. The question on the Republican side is whether or not they have captured those voters for a generation or more. I would like to see the Dems reach out more to economically liberal/culturally conservative voters. When I got my start in politics, a large portion of the Democratic base was composed of social oconservatives who had seen the positive results of the New Deal. I think the Democrats' purging of social conservatives who support them on economic issues has been a big detriment to them. Hard to find middle ground on a lot of these social issues, so I don't know if it's possible. Of course, if Trump can't deliver economic benefits to a lot of the Union folks who voted for him, they will be up for grabs again.

As for the people that will head up the Dems, I think Warren becomes somewhat of a leading spokesperson. Corey Booker and Julian Castro will also be featured. Al Franken probably does a lot of promotion. Tim Kaine is probably toast. Hard to know about Cuomo. Schumer has hit his ceiling and given his sentiments about Wall Street, I don't see him becoming a universally popular figure in Democratic circles. Chris Von Hollen is probably a rising star. Problem for the Democrats (and every party goes through this) is how to reconcile their establishment element with their progressive element. Von Hollen is a prime example. He defeated Representative Donna Edwards--who is more liberal than Von Hollen--in the primary. I don't think there are hard feelings in Maryland, but the establishment is going to have to let go a bit if it wants to expand its base. I can't remember where I read the article, but there were complaints after Sanders' fell that the Democrats were running to the middle and playing defense and that golden opportunities, especially in Pennsylvania, were being sacrificed as a result. So that's the fight that will be taking place.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2016), Oklahomahawk (11-10-2016)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    So if the Repubs run Tim Scott vs. the Dems Cory Booker, two African Americans candidate at one time. Would the world simply implode into nothingness? I'm not sure the nation could take that to be honest.

EDIT: And both parties and their followers would probably still try to play the race card against each other.
    Well one would be African-American and the other would be considered an Uncle Tom....

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Well one would be African-American and the other would be considered an Uncle Tom....
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. :)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    If

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    2028 book me
    BUt, isn't Trump going to deport you?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Wouldn't Bernie make sense for the Dems in 2020, or is that whole phenomenon one and done? He and Warren seem to be the primary movers and shakers for the Dems now, even though Bern is technically independent I guess. However, after Hillary's debacle, I can't see the Dems allowing another woman candidate for many elections to come, sadly. Warren will likely be VP. Booker is smart and charismatic, but I think he will be viewed as too green or young in 2020. Good VP material though. Maybe 2028 for him.

Pence will run for the Reps in 2020. Odds are high that Trump is impeached during the next 4 years, so by the time 2020 comes around, it will be President Pence defending his turf after serving for a year or two. Pence made a very solid impression on the GOP during the VP debate, so I think they will be more than happy to have him lead the way. He'll have VP Giuliani by his side.... (I'm barfing while writing all this.)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Good grief....people still sticking with the Trump will get impeached thing? After the Trump may not accept nomination thing. Which came after he will withdraw at any minute thing?

If Bill didn't get impeached, how will Trump?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Wouldn't Bernie make sense for the Dems in 2020, or is that whole phenomenon one and done? He and Warren seem to be the primary movers and shakers for the Dems now, even though Bern is technically independent I guess. However, after Hillary's debacle, I can't see the Dems allowing another woman candidate for many elections to come, sadly. Warren will likely be VP. Booker is smart and charismatic, but I think he will be viewed as too green or young in 2020. Good VP material though. Maybe 2028 for him.

Pence will run for the Reps in 2020. Odds are high that Trump is impeached during the next 4 years, so by the time 2020 comes around, it will be President Pence defending his turf after serving for a year or two. Pence made a very solid impression on the GOP during the VP debate, so I think they will be more than happy to have him lead the way. He'll have VP Giuliani by his side.... (I'm barfing while writing all this.)
    I think Bernie is a spent resource. If Warren had challenged Hillary, there would have been no Bernie.