Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Second Bench" in AAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

The "Second Bench" in AAA

The season is long and the players who start the year in AAA often spend a lot of time in the majors. Pitching depth will sometimes allow a team to remain competitive in the second half when others are collapsing under the weight of injuries. There is always uncertainty about which positions will need reinforcement at the major league level. So lets take a look at what the situation is at each position.

Catcher: If we sign a catcher for the major league team, Anthony Vito Recker makes sense as our main catcher in AAA. The problem is he is out of options and we will risk losing him when he gets sent down. We have also signed Blake Lalli to a minor league deal. In light of the uncertainty about our ability to hold on to Recker, I think it makes sense to sign another AAAA quality catcher to a minor league deal.

Infield: I'm guessing we will sign KJ (or someone similar) for the major league bench and will start the season with Peterson (possibly platooning with someone like D'Arnaud) as our second baseman. This means we start the year in AAA with Kubitza, Albies, Camargo and Ruiz. Daniel Castro and Brandon Snyder selected free agency after we outrighted them, but I think there is a chance we bring one of them back on a minor league deal. Albies and Ruiz are obviously the guys who will likely come up to the big league team as they show they are ready and/or the need presents itself.

Outfield: Dustin Peterson will man a corner spot. This is obviously an area where we will be signing some players. Probably a couple guys who can play center and one who can play the other corner spot.

Starting pitching: Assuming a major league rotation of Teheran, Dickey, Folty, Colon and Wisler, we would choose from a pretty big group for the AAA rotation: Newcomb, Sims, Gant, Baby Harang, Blair, Ellis, Whalen and Jenkins. It is possible that Newcomb and/or Sims start the year in AA. If not a couple of the others on the list will be in the AAA bullpen. I like our starting pitching depth. Given the attrition you typically see over the course of the season, a couple of them will be called on to make a significant number of major league starts.

Bullpen: At the major league level I'm assuming Krol and Paco Rodriguez will be the lefties. The lefties in the AAA pen would include Kent, Minter and Marksberry. Maybe Biddle if his arm is healthy. I think we need a little bit more depth from the left side when it comes to relievers. Our depth is much better from the right side. For the major league team we will be choosing from: Vizcaino, Johnson, Cabrera, Simmons, Winkler, Ramirez, Withrow and Walden. Not all of them have options remaining, so we might lose a couple at the end of spring training. In AAA we will likely have Roney, Janas and Dirks in addition to some of the guys who don't make the major league team and some of the guys who have mostly been starting pitchers. So right-handed pen depth is good and we should be looking for one or two lefties to sign.

Overall: Our weakest position will probably be third. In the scenario I have in mind, we will try to make up for lack of quality with quantity (Garcia, KJ, Ruiz and Peterson could all end up with significant playing time at third). We have a clear need to pick up some AAAA caliber outfielders. We also have a need to pick up a AAAA caliber catcher and one or two AAAA caliber lefty relievers. Those kinds of moves can make a difference at the major league level. You never know which area your depth will get tested so part of the task in the off-season is to take steps to mitigate these sorts of organizational weaknesses.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-13-2016 at 01:06 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BornaBrave (11-14-2016), Bravehog (11-13-2016), cajunrevenge (11-15-2016), JohnAdcox (11-13-2016), thethe (11-13-2016), UNCBlue012 (11-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Love the assessment. I could see Recker going elsewhere and for that reason unless the upgrade is clear and a short term commitment I'd go with him as the MLB backup catcher.

I think 3B will primarily be Garcia's position this year for the sheer purpose of building up trade value. I don't think the organization believes he is the long term answer so it would make the most sense to start full-time. As you have said they will sign enough major league players that have some 3B experience to cover a lack of MLB ready depth at the position.

Good call on the lefty reliever depth. Thats something to look at this offseason and specifically after spring training when players are made available.
    Natural Immunity Croc

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-13-2016), UNCBlue012 (11-13-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Blair??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Blair??
    Fixed. I knew I forgot someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Catcher: If we sign a catcher for the major league team, Anthony Vito Recker makes sense as our main catcher in AAA. The problem is he is out of options and we will risk losing him when he gets sent down. We have also signed Blake Lalli to a minor league deal. In light of the uncertainty about our ability to hold on to Recker, I think it makes sense to sign another AAAA quality catcher to a minor league deal.
    I'd love to stash Recker at AAA, and there is a strategy that could work. We should sign him to a healthy arb contract of $1.5m (more then the $1m estimated by MLBTR) as an act of good faith. Assuming our top two catchers are healthy, we could then DFA him on the Sunday before the season starts. Assuming he passes through waivers (I think he will with that contract), then he can be outrighted to AAA. He'll have the option of electing free agency and voiding his $1.5m contract. With $1.5m being life-changing money for Recker and his family, I think he'll accept the assignment. The same scenario unfolded last year between the Orioles and Brian Matusz.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think they signed Matt Tuiasosopo for AAA.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Braves just signed David Freitas to a minor league contract too.. he is a career minor league catcher with ok numbers. could be just part of a bigger audition in spring training.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (11-13-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Great breakdown! We also have Minter, McKirahan, Kinman, Phiffer, and possibly Mader as possible left-handed bullpen options if needed. Now McKirahan and Kinman are coming off injury so they may not be ready right away.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Great breakdown! We also have Minter, McKirahan, Kinman, Phiffer, and possibly Mader as possible left-handed bullpen options if needed. Now McKirahan and Kinman are coming off injury so they may not be ready right away.
    Added Minter to the list of lefty pen options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Braves just signed David Freitas to a minor league contract too.. he is a career minor league catcher with ok numbers. could be just part of a bigger audition in spring training.
    Thanks. That checks off one of the boxes.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Thanks. That checks off one of the boxes.
    I personally think this means no big name catcher and they will go with an open tryout to back up flowers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I personally think this means no big name catcher and they will go with an open tryout to back up flowers.
    I'm ok with that if we can't land any of Castro, Wieters and McCann at a reasonable cost. I don't think it should be Plan A.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-13-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Good write up.

On the starting pitching I think we still acquire a lefty for the rotation. Having a AAA rotation headed by Wisler, Blair, and Newcombe would provide some depth with whomever else we keep. I think we keep those 3 because none of them have increased their trade value from this time last year.

I think we acquire another lefty for the pen and flip Kroll. His value is at peak. He's out of options. He's arbitration eligible. I think we flip Jose Ramirez as well for similar reasons. The Johns keep saying they want options and I see the out of option guys not being kept, so we can layer our "2nd bench" to our liking.

We could have a stellar AAA pen with guys like Minter, Dirks, and Morris graduating and whomever we keep that has options left out of the rest.

We definitely need another close to ready corner OF prospect.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The season is long and the players who start the year in AAA often spend a lot of time in the majors. Pitching depth will sometimes allow a team to remain competitive in the second half when others are collapsing under the weight of injuries. There is always uncertainty about which positions will need reinforcement at the major league level. So lets take a look at what the situation is at each position.

Catcher: If we sign a catcher for the major league team, Anthony Vito Recker makes sense as our main catcher in AAA. The problem is he is out of options and we will risk losing him when he gets sent down. We have also signed Blake Lalli to a minor league deal. In light of the uncertainty about our ability to hold on to Recker, I think it makes sense to sign another AAAA quality catcher to a minor league deal.Agreed. I am beginning to believe that the Braves go with Flowers/Recker to start the season.

Infield: I'm guessing we will sign KJ (or someone similar) for the major league bench and will start the season with Peterson (possibly platooning with someone like D'Arnaud) as our second baseman. This means we start the year in AAA with Kubitza, Albies, Camargo and Ruiz. Daniel Castro and Brandon Snyder selected free agency after we outrighted them, but I think there is a chance we bring one of them back on a minor league deal. Albies and Ruiz are obviously the guys who will likely come up to the big league team as they show they are ready and/or the need presents itself.Agreed again. But, I would expect Albies to be brought along slowly on his injury return, that they would want to be sure he's 100%, so maybe a Util Inf type.

Outfield: Dustin Peterson will man a corner spot. This is obviously an area where we will be signing some players. Probably a couple guys who can play center and one who can play the other corner spot.With Kemp and Markakis on the corners, it would be a miracle if both made it through the season without DL time due to age. I think a lot of work should be done here.

Starting pitching: Assuming a major league rotation of Teheran, Dickey, Folty, Colon and Wisler, we would choose from a pretty big group for the AAA rotation: Newcomb, Sims, Gant, Baby Harang, Blair, Ellis, Whalen and Jenkins. It is possible that Newcomb and/or Sims start the year in AA. If not a couple of the others on the list will be in the AAA bullpen. I like our starting pitching depth. Given the attrition you typically see over the course of the season, a couple of them will be called on to make a significant number of major league starts.Assuming Dickey, Colon and Collmenter all make it through ST healthy, I think Wisler starts at AAA. I think Gant, Whalen and Jenkins start in LR. I think BH gets cut early. I think the rotation to start AAA will be Wisler, Blair, Newcomb, Sims, Ellis unless Wisler starts in the ML, then Whalen takes his spot.

Bullpen: At the major league level I'm assuming Krol and Paco Rodriguez will be the lefties. The lefties in the AAA pen would include Kent, Minter and Marksberry. Maybe Biddle if his arm is healthy. I think we need a little bit more depth from the left side when it comes to relievers. Our depth is much better from the right side. For the major league team we will be choosing from: Vizcaino, Johnson, Cabrera, Simmons, Winkler, Ramirez, Withrow and Walden. Not all of them have options remaining, so we might lose a couple at the end of spring training. In AAA we will likely have Roney, Janas and Dirks in addition to some of the guys who don't make the major league team and some of the guys who have mostly been starting pitchers. So right-handed pen depth is good and we should be looking for one or two lefties to sign.I think the Braves sign a FA lefty or acquire one for the ML and Paco starts in AAA where they can bring him along slowly.

Overall: Our weakest position will probably be third. In the scenario I have in mind, we will try to make up for lack of quality with quantity (Garcia, KJ, Ruiz and Peterson could all end up with significant playing time at third). We have a clear need to pick up some AAAA caliber outfielders. We also have a need to pick up a AAAA caliber catcher and one or two AAAA caliber lefty relievers. Those kinds of moves can make a difference at the major league level. You never know which area your depth will get tested so part of the task in the off-season is to take steps to mitigate these sorts of organizational weaknesses.
    Tis could all change if the FO veers suddenly and makes a big trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This looks like a nice addition. One of the best hitters in the Texas League in 2015, and a solid showing in the PCL last year. Switch-hitter with plus on base skills and plays multiple positions.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-14-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    So these are all minor league signings so far this winter. Braves have been pretty darn busy.

C Braeden Schehuber (re-signed)
    RHP Danny Reynolds (Laredo)
    RHP Jordy Lara (re-signed)
    1b Matt Tuiasosopo (re-signed0
    RHP Joel de la Cruz (re-signed)
    RHP Enderson Franco (re-signed)
    LHP Sam Freeman (Brewers)
    OF Ronnier Mustalier (re-sign)
    C Blake Lalli (re-sign)
    2B Colin Walsh (Brewers/Athletics)
    C David Freitas (Cubs)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (11-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Sam Freeman provides some of that lefty depth in the pen I was talking about.

I wonder if they will go with Lipka as the main guy in center or add someone else.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    So wisler hasn't pitched since late oct after dominating his two starts in mexico. Braves super busy with minor moves. Is there something bigger in the works here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    So wisler hasn't pitched since late oct after dominating his two starts in mexico. Braves super busy with minor moves. Is there something bigger in the works here.
    The plan was to get Wisler up to 200 innings for the year. He had 183 between AAA and the majors.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    The plan was to get Wisler up to 200 innings for the year. He had 183 between AAA and the majors.
    Then he is still 8 innings short. I was really hoping to see him continue his success. Hopefully nothing is wrong that hasn't been reported.