Thread: Possible work stoppage

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Possible work stoppage

While I DON'T think it ultimately happens, there is word that the owners may choose to lock the players out if a new CBA isn't reached. At a minimum it could have an effect on FA signings and the winter meetings.

But, let's say the worst happens and it stretches into ST or even a week or two into the regular season.

What happens with the opening of the new park? What happens to the timetable of the rebuild?

I suspect that there are some tight A holes in Atlanta right now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    I think there's almost no way a work stoppage stretches even to spring training. But we could see the Winter Meetings get torpedoed by it. The current CBA expires on December 1st and the Winter Meetings start on the 4th. If there's no CBA then you can't have any FA signings or event trades. The Winter Meetings would be extremely dull.

The smartest course of action for both sides would be to extend the current CBA for a month or two to allow the offseason to proceed while the negotiations continue.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think there's almost no way a work stoppage stretches even to spring training. But we could see the Winter Meetings get torpedoed by it. The current CBA expires on December 1st and the Winter Meetings start on the 4th. If there's no CBA then you can't have any FA signings or event trades. The Winter Meetings would be extremely dull.

The smartest course of action for both sides would be to extend the current CBA for a month or two to allow the offseason to proceed while the negotiations continue.
    Would expiration of the CBA cancel the Rule 5 draft?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Would expiration of the CBA cancel the Rule 5 draft?
    I'm not sure but I would think it would delay it. If you've locked the players out I don't think you could put the player you've selected onto a major league roster. I'd think the draft would be postponed until the new CBA was in place.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not sure but I would think it would delay it. If you've locked the players out I don't think you could put the player you've selected onto a major league roster. I'd think the draft would be postponed until the new CBA was in place.
    My thought as well. As I recall, the CBA only directly affects what happens at the major league level (but I could be wrong on that). Last time there was a strike, I believe the minor league teams continued their seasons, which I find a bit odd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My thought as well. As I recall, the CBA only directly affects what happens at the major league level (but I could be wrong on that). Last time there was a strike, I believe the minor league teams continued their seasons, which I find a bit odd.
    Yeah, the players union only represents major league players. It's why baseball is able to do stuff like unilaterally change the PED policies in the minors.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The owners and players might agree to allow the current agreement to remain in place temporarily if they feel they're close. Even though there was little said in public, the last two agreements went down to the wire as well in many ways.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    All media hype.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe