Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Sean Rodriguez

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I think that the Braves might be getting a cautious report on Albies' return, and are not currently projecting him into the big league mix at all, or at least pre all-star break.

Or maybe they're trading the boy.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Someone has to be on the bench. This guy had defensive versatility and can hit a little.

5 million will have no impact on our ability to do anything this year or next.

You know the fo wants some vets around.

Potentially a guy you flip.

With albies injury and us not being good albies has no business in mlb until after allstar break at the earliest.

It keeps frenchy off the team.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-24-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Definitely an outlier but there was a lot of talk around Pitt that he had made some significant adjustments. Who knows if that's all lip service. He had a higher BABIP but it wasn't absurd. His power numbers were crazy. Worth a $5 million gamble to be a super until guy or platoon mate if there was any truth to the adjustment narrative
    I don't disagree that he is a good piece for a team.

I'm saying it was an odd move. Odd in the fact that they would spend for a premium bench piece ($5m qualifies as a premium bench player), but couldn't/wouldn't go 3/25 on a starting caliber catcher that would provide a 1-2 win improvement as well as 10-15 framing runs. They haven't improved 3b or C, where they are projected to be awful. They haven't added a RHed bench piece to use as a 4th OFer. Wouldn't you expect them to fill those holes before filling a hole that didn't really exist?

Signing a premium bench piece isn't something a team does after they failed to acquire an MLB average solution at C and 3b. It isn't a move that is going to hurt or help the team in any appreciable way, but it certainly is an odd move for a non-contender to make.

At the end of the day I don't think it matters one way or the other.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-24-2016 at 09:15 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I'm saying it was an odd move. Odd in the fact that they would spend for a premium bench piece ($5m qualifies as a premium bench player), but couldn't/wouldn't go 3/25 on a starting caliber catcher that would provide a 1-2 win improvement as well as 10-15 framing runs. They haven't improved 3b or C, where they are projected to be awful. They haven't added a RHed bench piece to use as a 4th OFer. Wouldn't you expect them to fill those holes before filling a hole that didn't really exist?

Signing a premium bench piece isn't something a team does after they failed to acquire an MLB average solution at C and 3b. It isn't a move that is going to hurt or help the team in any appreciable way, but it certainly is an odd move for a non-contender to make.
    That's quite a bit of a reach IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    With this move clarifying our bench situation a bit, it'll be interesting to see where we go from here on that front. I have a strong preference to start Mallex at AAA given all the time he missed last year (service time considerations and getting him regular ABs also factors in). That would make an RH CF an obvious spot. Another good add could be a LHH option at 3B to compete with Ruiz for a spot. It'll be interesting to see what Rule 5 options are out there that would fit these areas. MiLB deals could also be an approach for these spots.

Speaking of which, we'll need to remove someone from the 40-man in order to officially add SRod.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-24-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

At the end of the day I don't think it matters one way or the other.
    It certainly does seem to be a move that would indicate future further moves. We need to clear a 40 man spot and strengthened a weakness that is much less glaring than our others weaknesses. I'd be surprised if we don't do something else by the time this becomes official.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Rodriguez/Peterson platoon at second.

Leaves room for a 4 man bench: KJ, Francoeur, Mallex, 2nd catcher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Rodriguez/Peterson platoon at second.

Leaves room for a 4 man bench: KJ, Francoeur, Mallex, 2nd catcher
    KJ still fits well (LHH 3B, 1B, LHH pinch hitter, LF in a pinch), and we know he's interested, so this is a very good possibility. Hoping SRod signing spells the end of Francoeur era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Very positive review of the signing from beyond the box score. And they are a saber slanted blog so that should make a lot of people on this board happy:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...-agent-bargain
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If the new mechanics at hte plate yield anything close to the results that Bautista and Donaldson discovered then this is an absolute steal. I see him getting over 400 PA's this year by giving Garcia off some days against right handers, all of the left handed starts at second and the first man off the bench in double switching scenarios.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    For real. Castro was so much of a starting caliber catcher that the Astros moved Gattis and his bad defense back behind the dish.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Like the signing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Very positive review of the signing from beyond the box score. And they are a saber slanted blog so that should make a lot of people on this board happy:

Interesting read. You can see those parallels with Jose Bautista. I'm still expecting some pretty major regression from Rodriguez's 2016 numbers, but something like 240 / 310 / 425 is well within reach. That would make him the 3rd or 4th best hitter on the team, and he's of course no slouch defensively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    The point is why add a $5m per year bench player to a 75 win team? What is he insurance against? Losing 100 games?

It's like adding a new winch to a truck that will probably break down before it needs to pull anything with that winch.

Maybe they use a different projection system than you. Most of the ones I have seen are trash at projecting prospects to the majors. That's why we are only projected to win 75 games. If Dansby hadn't come up to the majors and showed he belonged he would be projected to be **** next year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Really happy with this signing. S Rod needs almost everyday at bats moving around 2B, 3B, and the corners.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Actually, it's anything but Saber in this blog/analysis. It discusses the adjustments Rodriguez made with his lower body then demonstrates it with a couple of before-and-after .gifs. Then it measures the impact with a review of his stats. Some of the stats are advanced, but that's about as Saber as it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Maybe they use a different projection system than you. Most of the ones I have seen are trash at projecting prospects to the majors. That's why we are only projected to win 75 games. If Dansby hadn't come up to the majors and showed he belonged he would be projected to be **** next year.
    Pretty sure they do. They're not behaving like a 75-win club this offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The Saber guys love Castro. Real world FO, not so much. I think they value framing, but not as much as Saber guys seem to. I just don't see how a catch-and-throw catcher hitting .210 is worth $25m, and I guess the front office agrees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Actually, it's anything but Saber in this blog/analysis. It discusses the adjustments Rodriguez made with his lower body then demonstrates it with a couple of before-and-after .gifs. Then it measures the impact with a review of his stats. Some of the stats are advanced, but that's about as Saber as it goes.
    Agreed but it seems many on this board don't take anything seriously unless it comes from the saber community.

Past is not always prologue and that is what sabermetric projection systems muss in my opinion.
    Natural Immunity Croc

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-25-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Pretty sure they do. They're not behaving like a 75-win club this offseason.
    And that is the most troubling part of it all, in my opinion. An expensive super utility guy is the move an 85+ win team makes. Then again, sticking with a Flowers/Recker catching tandem and Adonis Garcia at 3b is not a move an 85+ win team makes. It is all so inconsistent, and has been throughout the entire rebuild.

It's almost like Coppy is out there thinking he is building a 90 win team, and trying to get an Ace like Sale and a super utility guy like Sean. Then Hart steps in to bring things back to reality and pump the brakes a bit before they do something stupid. Since this signing didn't hurt the team's future, he let it happen even though it's not a move a 75 win team typically makes.

So far all moves made this offseason have been extremely low risk and low reward moves. I admit that navigating the transition period between rebuilding and contending is tricky, especially while trying to build hype for opening a new stadium, so I suppose they need to be cut some slack when analyzing their moves.