User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134

Thread: Braves sign Sean Rodriguez

  1. #1
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,485
    Thanks
    4,337
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Braves sign Sean Rodriguez

    2 years / $11 million per Rosenthal

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (11-24-2016),jpx7 (11-27-2016),thethe (11-24-2016)

  3. #2
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. Super versatile with some pop. Fiery attitude too. Gatorade coolers in ATL are officially ****ed.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

    Hawk (11-24-2016),JohnAdcox (11-24-2016),Knucksie (11-25-2016)

  5. #3
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,195
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 878 Times in 518 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thankful for this signing.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

    Hawk (11-24-2016),thethe (11-24-2016)

  7. #4
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31,506
    Thanks
    3,643
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great signing. Love how Coppy seems to strike when nobody is expecting it.

    The offense just got a lot better.
    Warm feelings guy!

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

    Hawk (11-24-2016),JohnAdcox (11-24-2016)

  9. #5
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 438 Times in 292 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good value signing. He gives us options.

    He can play anywhere and will garner a decent prospect in return if we wanted to flip him.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

    Hawk (11-24-2016)

  11. #6
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31,506
    Thanks
    3,643
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We just got 350-400 plate appearances of above average offensive production for a cheap price. Thats a pretty sizable upgrade IMO.
    Warm feelings guy!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (11-24-2016)

  13. #7
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,109
    Thanks
    1,159
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 871 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good signing.

  14. #8
    Fredi Gonzalez Supporter Dalyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your mom
    Posts
    11,683
    Thanks
    5,201
    Thanked 5,045 Times in 2,894 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice one!

  15. #9
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.5 Signing bonus and 5 million each year. For those more familiar with patrol structure, does the 1.5 count immediately against the 2016 payroll or is it spread out? If it's an immediate pay out I like the deal better.

  16. #10
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,177
    Thanks
    3,611
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    1.5 Signing bonus and 5 million each year. For those more familiar with patrol structure, does the 1.5 count immediately against the 2016 payroll or is it spread out? If it's an immediate pay out I like the deal better.
    It will be an immediate payout.

    Sure didn't see this one coming - guess that means the end of d'Arnaud.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though. (2017 Draft Thread)

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team. (What's the best we could hope for in 2018?)


    The Blackjack Dealer

  17. #11
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,195
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 878 Times in 518 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing he will be our 2B against LHP to start the year.

  18. #12
    NL Rookie of the Year dak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great fit. I've been really nervous about Coppy's decision-making since that Kemp acquisition, so I'm pleasantly surprised that I've liked all the FA signings so far this offseason. Sean Rodriguez was my favorite utility option as a FA, though I was thinking he might sign somewhere that could give him more ABs.

  19. #13
    NL Rookie of the Year dak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 695 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean Rodriguez last 3 years . . .

    versus LHP: 243 / 326 / 438
    versus RHP: 245 / 286 / 450

    Career UZR / 150 numbers below average at SS, but above average everywhere else . . . and he's played everywhere but catcher.

  20. #14
    Spring Training Invitee
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 358 Times in 122 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good value signing. He's no world beater but if he accumulates 300-400 ABs, he should be worth well north of a $5M annual salary. It's hard to find actual value upside in the FA market, so kudos to Coppy for doing so on a reasonable short-term contract.

    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

    clvclv (11-24-2016)

  22. #15
    Clique Leader weso1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    [Omitted]
    Posts
    5,828
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no clue who this guy is.
    From your favorite message board poster (me).

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

    Freshmaker (11-24-2016),Knucksie (11-25-2016),NinersSBChamps (11-26-2016)

  24. #16
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,685
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 4,117 Times in 2,503 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very odd signing in my opinion. Teams projected to win 75 games don't typically give $5m per year to bench guys, and there isn't a clear place to platoon him for the next 2 years.

    A LHed hitting guy like Valbuena to platoon with Garcia at 3b makes sense.

    A RHed hitting CFer like Ruggiano to take some ABs against LHers and be a defensive replacement for Kemp makes sense.

    A RHed hitting infielder to platoon with Jace doesn't make as much sense with Albies ready in a couple months.

    This signing seems like a precursor to a trade involving Albies, and the Braves going with a Jace/Sean platoon at 2b for the next couple years.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    50PoundHead (11-24-2016),jpx7 (11-27-2016)

  26. #17
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,658
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 963 Times in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is a very odd signing in my opinion. Teams projected to win 75 games don't typically give $5m per year to bench guys, and there isn't a clear place to platoon him for the next 2 years.

    A LHed hitting guy like Valbuena to platoon with Garcia at 3b makes sense.

    A RHed hitting CFer like Ruggiano to take some ABs against LHers and be a defensive replacement for Kemp makes sense.

    A RHed hitting infielder to platoon with Jace doesn't make as much sense with Albies ready in a couple months.

    This signing seems like a precursor to a trade involving Albies, and the Braves going with a Jace/Sean platoon at 2b for the next couple years.
    Didn't really think about that but you may be right. This makes Albies quite a bit more expendable now. I'm not the biggest fan of platoons but a Jace/Rodriguez platoon could be pretty potent at second.

  27. #18
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31,506
    Thanks
    3,643
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is a very odd signing in my opinion. Teams projected to win 75 games don't typically give $5m per year to bench guys, and there isn't a clear place to platoon him for the next 2 years.

    A LHed hitting guy like Valbuena to platoon with Garcia at 3b makes sense.

    A RHed hitting CFer like Ruggiano to take some ABs against LHers and be a defensive replacement for Kemp makes sense.

    A RHed hitting infielder to platoon with Jace doesn't make as much sense with Albies ready in a couple months.

    This signing seems like a precursor to a trade involving Albies, and the Braves going with a Jace/Sean platoon at 2b for the next couple years.
    If not that then it seems likely that Albies will be in AAA all year.
    Warm feelings guy!

  28. #19
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,685
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 4,117 Times in 2,503 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Didn't really think about that but you may be right. This makes Albies quite a bit more expendable now. I'm not the biggest fan of platoons but a Jace/Rodriguez platoon could be pretty potent at second.
    I just don't get the thought process behind the signing. He isn't much better (if he is at all) than current options on the IF like Jace, Garcia and Ruiz, so why was he given $5m per year? Where is the path to enough ABs to warrant that contract? The only potential platoon partner is Jace, who should be replaced full time well before this 2 year deal expires (even if Albies spends all of 2017 in AAA), so why 2 years?

    The logical path to enough ABs for this guy is to trade Albies, but that is a massive downgrade at 2b.

    Or did the Braves just pay $11m for a 0.5 win improvement to the bench for some unknown reason? I really wish I was the one asking questions at these press conferences.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-24-2016 at 05:06 PM.

  29. #20
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,658
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 963 Times in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I just don't get the thought process behind the signing. He isn't much better (if he is at all) than current options on the IF like Jace, Garcia and Ruiz, so why was he given $5m per year? Where is the path to enough ABs to warrant that contract? The only potential platoon partner is Jace, who should be replaced full time well before this 2 year deal expires (even if Albies spends all of 2017 in AAA), so why 2 years?

    The logical path to enough ABs for this guy is to trade Albies, but that is a massive downgrade at 2b.

    Or did the Braves just pay $11m for a 0.5 win improvement to the bench for some unknown reason? I really wish I was the one asking questions at these press conferences.
    I don't see it as a massive downgrade. We don't even know what Albies can do at the MLB level. Jace is pretty good against righties and Rodriguez was fantastic last year in 300+ at bats with an ISO well above .200. High BABIP but not absurd

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •