Thread: Current (and future) catching situations..

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Current (and future) catching situations..

Hey guys, first and foremost I hope everyone has had a wonderful Thanksgiving and didn't eat too much!

I know I'm not alone in this but I am extremely thankful for all of you and this board as it gives us somewhere to come together and talk Braves baseball, which is something we all love. I know there are times when we butt heads and disagree but at the end of the day it all comes down to a love of this game and passionate opinions that ultimately will always vary. I know I'm partial, but after scrolling around other forums, different team sites/forums and the comment section of articles, it's become apparent we as a group understand the game and while we disagree on almost everything we respect the other person and their point of view, therefore making this the best place to talk baseball in general but especially Braves baseball and I thank all of you for that! A special thanks to all the mods, admins and the "President of Chop Country operations" aka Forever Fredi or also know as Jeffrey!

Now, (sorry for the long post haha) for the reason of the thread...

With Jason Castro -who was our apparent #1 target- signing with Minnesota, what do we do at catcher?

1. Sign a free agent

2. Trade for someone

3. Stay with what we have in Flowers, Recker, and Gosewisch

Who are possible (please make realistic) targets if you think they go with #1 or #2 and if #1/#2 what would it cost? Who do you think would make the most sense and offer us the most production and again a realistic option, so NO Gary Shanchez, Sal Perez, Buster Posey's, .etc? Would love to see some opinions..

My personal opinion:Make 1 of these 3 trades..

1. Trade Luke Dykstra / Williams Perez / Stephen Janas to San Diego for Derek Norris

2. Trade Rio Ruiz / Chris Ellis / John Gant to Cleveland for Yan Gomes (probably my preferable target)

3. Trade Mallex Smith / John Gant / Tuffy Gosewisch to St. Louis for Carson Kelly

Couple more targets I like are:(along with my opinion of player/prospect(s) it would take to acquire)

1. Luis Torrens (NYY)- John Gant and Phillip Pheifer

2. Elias Diaz (PIT)- Johan Camargo, Chris Withrow and Williams Perez

3. Tom Murphy (COL)- Chris Ellis and Chris Withrow

4. Blake Swihart and Mike Zunino are two guys who might could use a change of scenery. Swihart would probably cost a bit more than Zunino, and while neither are considered defensive minded backstops, they both are pretty solid offensively (Zunino's power is his calling card) and wouldn't kill you defensively. Although some say Swihart fits best in the OF, we could benefit by giving him a chance behind the plate as his bat would be above average.

Again, just my opinion on cost, what do you guys think??
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (11-24-2016), Freshmaker (11-25-2016)