Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves acquire Alex Jackson from SEA for Whalen and Povse

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,872 Posts
    The fact is that guys his age, at that level, and striking out at that rate rarely amount to much.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-30-2016), jpx7 (11-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The fact is that guys his age, at that level, and striking out at that rate rarely amount to much.
    Someone in the Braves FO still jerks off to Jackson's scouting dossier before bed at night, and saw an opportunity to acquire him and clear a spot on the 40 man roster at the same time. Now that the last few teams like the Twins and DBacks have emerged from the stone age, the Braves are probably one of the most "old school" teams remaining.

There is a reason he is no longer a top prospect, and it isn't because 20 year olds in Low-A who strike out a third of the time make much of an impact at the MLB level.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Enscheff...I'm still trying to figure out your true identity. You talk about things like weightlifting, becoming a dad, and anything else that signifies being a man. (which is very weird for a real man to do on the internet) Yet you want to argue all of the time and need constant attention.

I just can't figure out if you're a kid or a woman.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-29-2016), zbhargrove (11-29-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    POSIBRAVES ASSSSEEEMMMBBLLEEE!
    Rumor has it, if you exclude his strikeouts and count them as hits, he had a good year.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Really fits both teams. Seattle was probably happy to get anything from for him while the Braves were happy to free up a spot and get a guy with potential upside.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Those guys are clearly not fans. But they keep saying a lot of it may be attitude. This could be the kid's wake up call.

They seem to gloss over the "value" of Whalen and Povse. The mets thought Whalen was worth a couple of months of KJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    But we love Demerritte? Isn't he a level up and a couple of years older?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not all of us do.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,872 Posts
    Do we? TD likely has a future as a bench player due to his good defense. There is a reason we got him for what we gave up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    I like TD just fine. Definitely more than Jackson since he can play great defense that will give him a MLB-level floor as a bench player.

I'm also able to understand he isn't Baez v2.0 like some posters here have deluded themselves into thinking.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Someone in the Braves FO still jerks off to Jackson's scouting dossier before bed at night, and saw an opportunity to acquire him and clear a spot on the 40 man roster at the same time. Now that the last few teams like the Twins and DBacks have emerged from the stone age, the Braves are probably one of the most "old school" teams remaining.

There is a reason he is no longer a top prospect, and it isn't because 20 year olds in Low-A who strike out a third of the time make much of an impact at the MLB level.
    You are bizarre.

I have no idea how this move would signify that the Braves are not looking at this from an 'advanced scouting/metrics' position or why you seem so upset by it.

The Braves have done plenty that would suggest they're one of the more advanced front offices in baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,909 Posts
    Optimistic we can move him to C and get some productivity. From his HS accolades, this kid was no bum whatsoever. Was a mediocre Whalen fan, but Povse is the real loss here. That said, we could end up with a solid backup C on this if he can transition back. At this point, i'll take some lotto tickets there.

Wonder who we could see at PTBNL
    Ivermectin Man

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You are bizarre.

I have no idea how this move would signify that the Braves are not looking at this from an 'advanced scouting/metrics' position or why you seem so upset by it.

The Braves have done plenty that would suggest they're one of the more advanced front offices in baseball.
    Not upset at all. Ultimately, the Braves traded a couple non-contributers for a guy that will bust out of pro ball within 3 more years, so it is a rather meaningless transaction.

We are discussing the trade, and folks are giving their opinions. Some think it was a steal. Some think it wasn't. I think it was an odd use of pitching talent assets. That's all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Not upset at all. Ultimately, the Braves traded a couple non-contributers for a guy that will bust out of pro ball within 3 more years, so it is a rather meaningless transaction.

We are discussing the trade, and folks are giving their opinions. Some think it was a steal. Some think it wasn't. I think it was an odd use of pitching talent assets. That's all.
    Fair enough. But we all know it is difficult to obtain big bats, and the Braves got someone who could become one out of its mostly useless pitching surplus. Most likely, it's a mostly meaningless deal, as you suggested. Worst-case, we gave up two guys who will pitch decently in the majors for several years in some capacity and got nothing in return. Best-case, we gave up useless pitchers for a big-time bat. I'll take that all day.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Povse and Whalen are solid but i dont see how anyone could be upset with this trade.

Braves have tons of guys like Povse, Whalen in the system.

Good buy low move from Coppy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts

The odds are against most prospects to begin with.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Fair enough. But we all know it is difficult to obtain big bats, and the Braves got someone who could become one out of its mostly useless pitching surplus. Most likely, it's a mostly meaningless deal, as you suggested. Worst-case, we gave up two guys who will pitch decently in the majors for several years in some capacity and got nothing in return. Best-case, we gave up useless pitchers for a big-time bat. I'll take that all day.
    The Braves definitely got the player with the highest ceiling. That much is certainly indisputable. They traded floor for ceiling.

Guys like Whalen and Povse are typically traded for bench players at the deadline (which is exactly how the Braves got Whalen), or as filler in bigger trades. I would have preferred them to be used like that than traded for a lottery ticket, but it probably won't matter. The Braves have several more Whalen's and Povse's to trade if needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Do we? TD likely has a future as a bench player due to his good defense. There is a reason we got him for what we gave up.
    It's good defense but likely at 2B.

By all accounts this kid is an athlete with an attitude problem. He should have the tools to be a solid defender. If he just wants to spend his 4 million dollars then he flames out and we move on to the new man crush.

IF, big IF, he can catch then he's maybe really valuable. We know he has the arm.

I just don't get how 21 in high A is all of a sudden a death sentence. I know it's a super high K rate. He's a flawed prospect. If he wasn't he would not be on the market.

At some point the Braves have to get it right with a bat, right? Bring in the volume and see if one hits (pun intended).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    The Braves definitely got the player with the highest ceiling. That much is certainly indisputable. They traded floor for ceiling.

Guys like Whalen and Povse are typically traded for bench players at the deadline (which is exactly how the Braves got Whalen), or as filler in bigger trades. I would have preferred them to be used like that than traded for a lottery ticket, but it probably won't matter. The Braves have several more Whalen's and Povse's to trade if needed.
    I'd disagree with this, simply due to the fact that I think we're still a year away from having any reason to attempt to fill out our bench mid-season. I feel like we're still at a point where we need to be looking at the future and going after upside. It's the same reason why trading for Sale isn't likely a good option for us right now.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2016)