Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flag Burning. Where do you stand?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

Flag Burning. Where do you stand?

Since Trump tweeted this, it's all the rage on social media.

Here's my personal thought out, and long opinion.

-------

I personally would NEVER burn, stomp, or desecrate the flag. Not because I'm all up in arms about it, but because I find there's better ways to get your point across if you want to make one. However just because I would never do it, I would still afford a dissenter the right to do it as it's their constitutional right under the First Amendment. I would be the first person to fight for the KKK's rights to protest and burn a flag. It's as much of their right as it is mine.

The Flag doesn't need you to stick up for it. It doesn't need you to defend it. To me, the Flag symbolizes enduring freedom. Old Glory ALLOWS you the freedom to burn it, that's why penalizing it goes against the point of Old Glory + Free Speech. That's why Old Glory is so special. No matter how many times you burn the flag, the ideals and values are still there and not going away. You can burn 10 flags for all I care, but 10 more flags will go up and wave proudly.

Anecdotal I know, but I have veteran friends that tell me they have no problem with the flag burning. It's not that they WANT to see it, but they understand as long as it's not physically hurting anyone then it's a go. And I'm sure there's stories of other veterans whom will assault people. That's what's troubling me about this. This settled in the Supreme Court already. They said it better than I: [As the Supreme Court said in a 1990 decision finding a federal law against flag-burning unconstitutional, “Punishing desecration of the flag dilutes the very freedom that makes this emblem so revered, and worth revering.”]. On top of that, Scalia voted for allowing the flag to be burned. Never thought I'd agree with Scalia of all people on this issue.

It's troubling to me, because you start tossing out these basic freedoms, and it's only going to keep on happening.

-------

Finally something I might agree with sturg on.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-01-2016), Hawk (11-30-2016), jpx7 (11-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Hate seeing it but in the end its another expression of free speech.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-30-2016), FreemanFan (11-30-2016), Garmel (11-30-2016), jpx7 (11-30-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Hate seeing it but in the end its another expression of free speech.
    Agreed. SCOTUS says it's protected free speech so the only thing that can stop it is a constitutional amendment but given the DUMAS-ness of our the government they'd probably mess that up as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-30-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Agreed. SCOTUS says it's protected free speech so the only thing that can stop it is a constitutional amendment but given the DUMAS-ness of our the government they'd probably mess that up as well.

Saw yesterday morning that in 2005 or 2006 it was 1 vote in the Senate away from going to the White House.

I think Trump's advisors told him to bring this up as it's most likely a sure fire thing to pass with both Houses.

Definitely a rallying call.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    To me it's a worse version of kneeling at the national anthem. You can do it as it is your right in this country. However I do find it disrespectful and feel there are better ways to get your point across.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-30-2016), Runnin (11-30-2016), The Chosen One (11-30-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Saw yesterday morning that in 2005 or 2006 it was 1 vote in the Senate away from going to the White House.

I think Trump's advisors told him to bring this up as it's most likely a sure fire thing to pass with both Houses.

Definitely a rallying call.
    I hate when people burn the flag in protest, but I think it's because they don't really know what they're really protesting or why and the flag is the recipient of their rage. Remember back in the 19th century people made and burned effigies of people they didn't like (like Lincoln in the South). As distasteful as it is IMO it's a symptom of an underlying problem more than it's a "stand alone crime".

This subject is actually a teaching tool I use in my American Government class. I'll tell you guys more if you're interested (later today). Right now I have to get ready and go and get blood drawn for my 6 month PSA checkup. Wish me luck. :)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To me it's a worse version of kneeling at the national anthem. You can do it as it is your right in this country. However I do find it disrespectful and feel there are better ways to get your point across.
    I feel the same way.

Nobody should be arrested or put in jail for a year as the President-Elect wanted.

Supreme Court also ruled the government cannot revoke citizenship status to Americans at will.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think it's become a banal spectacle used by the unimaginative to make a point that could be made more effectively and respectfully in a different manner. People have a right to do it, but I frankly don't understand why they do it. Of course, I don't understand why grown men paint their faces when they go to football games either.

PS--I also question the other end of the spectrum with the wearing of facsimiles of the flag on clothing, hats, etc. Just cheapens the flag's meaning. It's not as objectionable as flag-burning, but I believe it's as pointless.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-30-2016 at 08:18 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-30-2016), Julio3000 (11-30-2016), mqt (12-01-2016), Runnin (11-30-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    PS--I also question the other end of the spectrum with the wearing of facsimiles of the flag on clothing, hats, etc. Just cheapens the flag's meaning. It's not as objectionable as flag-burning, but I believe it's as pointless.
    Then you're not gonna like me! I love my flag/USA apparel. Have hats, socks, shirts, shorts, and even a tennis racquet with Old Glory on it. Some of it is just the Nike stuff that the Olympic team wore. But I love wearing it, since I do love this wonderful country.

Did I mention I have flag bumper sticker and one hanging outside of my front door?

Oh and did I also mention I've sang the Star Spangled Banner at pubilc events before and knocked it out of the park? I also used to sing that and America the Beautiful at Tea Party Events. Don't think they knew I was a liberal, but I got to meet Gingrich, and I was good friends with the organizers so whatever. Bipartisanship.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-01-2016), Hawk (11-30-2016), Julio3000 (11-30-2016), Runnin (11-30-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Then you're not gonna like me! I love my flag/USA apparel. Have hats, socks, shirts, shorts, and even a tennis racquet with Old Glory on it. Some of it is just the Nike stuff that the Olympic team wore. But I love wearing it, since I do love this wonderful country.

Did I mention I have flag bumper sticker and one hanging outside of my front door?

Oh and did I also mention I've sang the Star Spangled Banner at pubilc events before and knocked it out of the park? I also used to sing that and America the Beautiful at Tea Party Events. Don't think they knew I was a liberal, but I got to meet Gingrich, and I was good friends with the organizers so whatever. Bipartisanship.
    I still like you. Don't worry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    As protests go, burning a flag, by itself, is a toothless, meaningless expression. The right of expression is far more valuable than any symbol.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-30-2016)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I don't agree with it or like it but as long as people understand there are consequences to thier actions (sinead O'Connor) I'm okay with it. Also needs to be a two way street.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I stand with the first amendment. Burning a flag physically hurts nobody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    So mid 60's

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-30-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i go against what the fascist orange man feels about taking away my citizenship cause of my rights

**** him and **** anyone that sides with that ****
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Attention grab by ignorant people that think people care about their worthless opinions.

I wouldn't give them the time of day.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think it's become a banal spectacle used by the unimaginative to make a point that could be made more effectively and respectfully in a different manner. People have a right to do it, but I frankly don't understand why they do it. Of course, I don't understand why grown men paint their faces when they go to football games either.

Same and same.

---

My only personal objection to flag-burning is that, these days, they're usually composed of a lot of artificial fibers that release harmful chemicals when set aflame.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Maybe we should just officially change to the Confederate Flag since there are more slaves now than at anytime before the civil war.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I personally don't think it should fall under the category of free speech, but I also wouldn't make it illegal.

I think this was a troll by Trump. That's right, our president is a twitter troll.
    thank you weso1!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think this was a troll by Trump. That's right, our president is a twitter troll.
    Yep. It's like having Niners as president.