Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New CBA reached

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    seems this is also included in the agreement

All-Star Game no longer determines Series start!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/apnewsbrea...tart/471954631
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Also saw DL changes from 15 day to 10 day.

That will be really interesting for the season.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    These changes definitely help teams like the Braves. Not nearly the same kind of penalty for signing guys with QO, no chance for teams to blow through their international pool (not as helpful to Braves specifically if they were willing to do that every 3 years), and pretty severe luxury tax.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    These changes definitely help teams like the Braves. Not nearly the same kind of penalty for signing guys with QO, no chance for teams to blow through their international pool (not as helpful to Braves specifically if they were willing to do that every 3 years), and pretty severe luxury tax.
    The International FA changes could help us if you trust our scouts, because even when we went all in, it wasn't at a level that the Dodgers or Yankees could. I'm no fan of the new rules in that market, but I do think it favors us.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    The International FA changes could help us if you trust our scouts, because even when we went all in, it wasn't at a level that the Dodgers or Yankees could. I'm no fan of the new rules in that market, but I do think it favors us.
    When I buy the Braves in 20 years and move them back to downtown, we won't have to worry about the budget.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Yeah, the hard cap on international amateurs is the part of this CBA that surprises me most. The two biggest outcomes I see from this: (1) success in this market will now be much more related to scouting than deep pockets, and (2) there is slightly less incentive for teams to tank since W / L record has no impact on a team's bonus pool. The first outcome definitely helps the Braves since they've recently reinvested in their international scouting infrastructure. The second outcome helps the Braves in the short-run at least since they're coming out of their rebuild phase and have no designs on tanking any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    I keep going back and forth on whether the international stuff benefits us.

Back in 2015, we signed Cruz and Pache for $3.4 million combined. That would've left $1.6 million to spend under the new system, which mostly sounds fine to me, but it's the lower level signings that our scouts have gotten a lot of value out of. Weren't Albies and Acuna signed for a few hundred thousand dollars? This hard cap seems less than ideal if we get later into the process and a late guy pops up but we're already close to the cap.

The thing I'm most interested in seeing is what the cap does to the elite prospects. Moncada signed for like $31 million. Does he go play somewhere in Asia until he can come over, or does he just sign for $5 million? Do the prospects in the Cruz/Pache range become more expensive or less expensive? It's an interesting system that sounds like it kind of sucks for the prospects themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I keep going back and forth on whether the international stuff benefits us.

Back in 2015, we signed Cruz and Pache for $3.4 million combined. That would've left $1.6 million to spend under the new system, which mostly sounds fine to me, but it's the lower level signings that our scouts have gotten a lot of value out of. Weren't Albies and Acuna signed for a few hundred thousand dollars? This hard cap seems less than ideal if we get later into the process and a late guy pops up but we're already close to the cap.

The thing I'm most interested in seeing is what the cap does to the elite prospects. Moncada signed for like $31 million. Does he go play somewhere in Asia until he can come over, or does he just sign for $5 million? Do the prospects in the Cruz/Pache range become more expensive or less expensive? It's an interesting system that sounds like it kind of sucks for the prospects themselves.
    My guess is that prospects like Maitan end up signing for a little bit less, the Cuban bubble bursts and mid-tier guys take an absolute beating.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Yeah, this will be interesting. Jon Morosi reported last night though that they've raised the exemption age from 23 to 25. So if you're someone like Moncada and 19 years old (as he was at the time of his signing), you'd need to play in Japan (or wherever) for 6 years in order to beat the cap system. In some cases, the player will be better off signing with an MLB team cheaply in hopes of quickly getting to arbitration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Sounds like the players bent the owners over to me.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Sounds like the players bent the owners over to me.
    Not really surprising. Actual MLBers get it better while the international amateurs get it worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Here's a second change that reduces the incentive to tank. This one could be even more impactful than removing the slotting system for international amateurs. Getting one of those first 3-4 picks right now is a huge advantage. You can almost always sign a top player under slot and then go over slot with one or more later picks. This advantage will be reduced.

In the draft, there’ll be some changes in the spread of slot values; details remain unknown, but it seems there’ll be a more gradual decline than the currently steep fall after the first few picks.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...agreement.html

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yeah, this will be interesting. Jon Morosi reported last night though that they've raised the exemption age from 23 to 25. So if you're someone like Moncada and 19 years old (as he was at the time of his signing), you'd need to play in Japan (or wherever) for 6 years in order to beat the cap system. In some cases, the player will be better off signing with an MLB team cheaply in hopes of quickly getting to arbitration.
    Maybe they waited for Fidel to die to do this. Or it could be part of Trump's crackdown on Cuba. Just kidding everyone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-01-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    It all seems fine to me, except the change to a mid-week start of the season. That is weird, and especially weird for weekly-based fantasy. They did this for a couple years, about 5 years ago, and I hated it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    It all seems fine to me, except the change to a mid-week start of the season. That is weird, and especially weird for weekly-based fantasy. They did this for a couple years, about 5 years ago, and I hated it.
    You mean they didn't take fantasy baseball players into account while negotiating this agreement that involves billions of dollars? The outrage!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (12-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 41s41 seconds ago
    The top slot in the draft will be lower in 2017 than previous four years. It’s $7.4M. Overall $ devoted to the domestic draft won't change.

I'd imagine this is good for us? The top few slots usually provide so much extra money to be used in the later rounds.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The top slot in the draft will be lower in 2017 than previous four years. It’s $7.4M. Overall $ devoted to the domestic draft won't change.

I'd imagine this is good for us? The top few slots usually provide so much extra money to be used in the later rounds.
    Yes. One of the main reasons people wanted the #1 pick wasn't for the talent acquired there but to play the money game like we did this year. May not be able to do that as much going forward.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Also after much discussion on here at the end of the season. No news of any service time changes with the new cba.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Yeah. This will be the last year the top 5 have as much as of advantage. You can see at 6 is where it evens out more going off of last year's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Also after much discussion on here at the end of the season. No news of any service time changes with the new cba.
    We saw many confident assertions about big changes in service time cutoffs. And many confident assertions that the qualifying offer system would be abolished. Not tinkered with. Abolished. I wonder if anyone will step forward to walk back those assertions.