Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Suspenders Headed to Cooperstown

ESPN Stats & Info
    @ESPNStatsInfo
    Bud Selig (Owner/Commissioner/Executive) and John Schuerholz (Executive) have been elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame

---

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    John Schuerholz was unanimous entry into Hall of Fame, Bud Selig got 15 of the 16 votes, and Lou Piniella had 7 votes_5 shy of election.
    Last edited by Hawk; 12-04-2016 at 06:32 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-05-2016), Knucksie (12-05-2016), Ozzie Swanson (12-04-2016), Runnin (12-04-2016), The Chosen One (12-05-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Congrats JS!

For all the unwarranted praise he received throughout the Streak, he's received that much and more unfair criticism since.

Once Chipper and Andruw are elected, the Dynasty will be laid to rest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-05-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Precendence was Pat Gillick, GM winning WS in both leagues.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,012 Posts
    Are they gonna list all of Selig's ****-ups?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-06-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    **** Selig getting in

terrible

i wouldn't have voted for JS for the hall btw if i had a vote
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    **** Selig getting in

terrible

Oh, for gosh sakes, he got in unanimously. It's time to let the Texeira trade go.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-06-2016), GovClintonTyree (12-05-2016)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Oh, for gosh sakes, he got in unanimously. It's time to let the Texeira trade go.
    The guy took two traditionally bad franchises and built them into World Series champions. One of those won 14 straight division titles, something that no one else has matched. Theo Epstein did basically the same thing (with the help of big market money) and people are already calling him a lock for Cooperstown. The only difference was that Epstein did it for media darlings.

I'm not a huge fan of Schuerholz, but give the guy his due. He deserves to be in the HOF.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (12-05-2016), jpx7 (12-05-2016), Knucksie (12-05-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    The guy took two traditionally bad franchises and built them into World Series champions. One of those won 14 straight division titles, something that no one else has matched. Theo Epstein did basically the same thing (with the help of big market money) and people are already calling him a lock for Cooperstown. The only difference was that Epstein did it for media darlings.

I'm not a huge fan of Schuerholz, but give the guy his due. He deserves to be in the HOF.
    If for no other reason, he didn't throw out his back when he fell off Ted Turner's wallet. I give him credit for pulling the trigger on necessary deals and signings in the early-1990s when he replaced Cox as GM. I always felt that Bobby got a little too cautious and fell in love with the minor league guys he was developing. It's not a whole lot different than it is now, but Schuerholz made some well-timed and well-calculated deals (Pendleton, Bream, Belliard) without tearing up the foundation that Bobby and Paul Snyder had built. I hope Coppolella uses the same measured judgment.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-05-2016), Metaphysicist (12-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post

Media types did overplay Epstein as boy genius. You're right about the budgets he had access to, but it's true that he is now a lock as future HOFer. Pat Gillick and Schuerholz in, winning WS in both leagues as GM is guaranteed plaque.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    i don't care about the texeira trade
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Give JS all the credit in the World for putting the finishing touches on assembling a championship caliber roster in the early 90s, but the guy lost it in the summer of 1996 and was horrible thereafter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    If JS doesnt get in then what executives do? 4 Championships plus the streak that no one will ever beat.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (12-05-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Congrats JS!

For all the unwarranted praise he received throughout the Streak, he's received that much and more unfair criticism since.

Once Chipper and Andruw are elected, the Dynasty will be laid to rest.
    While I certainly agree with you, I don't think Andrew is going to be on the docket any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Give JS all the credit in the World for putting the finishing touches on assembling a championship caliber roster in the early 90s, but the guy lost it in the summer of 1996 and was horrible thereafter.
    That's not true. Now, the Teixeira trade...

Schuerholz had a long and extraordinarily successful career. Congratulations to him on a well-deserved honor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If for no other reason, he didn't throw out his back when he fell off Ted Turner's wallet. I give him credit for pulling the trigger on necessary deals and signings in the early-1990s when he replaced Cox as GM. I always felt that Bobby got a little too cautious and fell in love with the minor league guys he was developing. It's not a whole lot different than it is now, but Schuerholz made some well-timed and well-calculated deals (Pendleton, Bream, Belliard) without tearing up the foundation that Bobby and Paul Snyder had built. I hope Coppolella uses the same measured judgment.
    You're right about Bobby. I wouldn't call JS particularly aggressive, though he could be in spots. Coppy, IMO, is very aggressive, as was Wren. I am in the minority in that I liked Wren (I didn't have to work for him, though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    **** Selig getting in

terrible

You're wrong on both of these. There's no point in having an executive wing if they aren't in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The Otis Nixon for Jimmy Kremers trade was also huge in '91. Schuerholz also had the grounds crew completely re-do the infield. A sense of professionalism was brought to the organization that altered the culture of losing.

Agreed the Cox probably did get too cautious with all of the stockpiled arms. Fortunately, he rebuffed offers for Glavine and Avery, but others could have been made available. Pete Smith was a John Mullen acquisition, and did not become what was expected. Lilliquist was a high first rounder, who did not emerge. Mercker left for basically nothing, IIRC. The combined no-hitter was pretty cool, but maybe they could have gotten something more serviceable for him sooner? Including Tommy Greene in the Murphy deal would quite literally come back to haunt them in '93. Cox made a number of trade/FA blunders during his tenure as GM. Probably deserves its own thread, and we can at least let JS enjoy the moment now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    You're wrong on both of these. There's no point in having an executive wing if they aren't in it.
    well, i don't think this is a right or wrong issue

it's my opinion that i would never allow Selig in and i wouldn't have voted for JS to go in either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    well, i don't think this is a right or wrong issue

it's my opinion that i would never allow Selig in and i wouldn't have voted for JS to go in either
    You're a weird guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Thank you