Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    checks teams roster..

closer --- JJ.. Hmm, I guess they didn't ask your advice.

MM has been one of the most consistent, and arguable the best, closers in the game the last 4 years. I would have loved to get him for 4 years.. NOT at 60 million.. obtaining quality players is not a bad thing. even if we are not competing.
    Let's waste a ton of money on a closer to gain 1 win on a non competitive team. Makes a ton of sense.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Absolutely, one of the reasons I wouldn't do it. However, I would seriously consider going after McCutchen if it meant flipping Markakis to another team and playing McCutchen in right.
    Cutch's arm barely plays in CF, it would not play at all in RF. Cutch would have been a great fit for the Braves if they had not already settled on Kemp in LF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I don't see us being in on McCutchen. Doesn't make a ton of sense. We already have every OF spot filled plus Mallex. McCutchen would only be around for 2 more years. While he's probably a good bet to rebound from last year some he's probably not going to be his MVP level self again. It would be a win now move when we're not really set up for that. He makes way more sense for the Nats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Cutch's arm barely plays in CF, it would not play at all in RF. Cutch would have been a great fit for the Braves if they had not already settled on Kemp in LF.
    The arm would be a problem. But since Markakis doesn't exactly have a cannon out there it wouldn't be a huge difference. Still, doesn't make sense in the long run. He's just tempting because he's fun to watch.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I could only see McCutchen if the Braves were to deal for someone like Sale. If you make the commitment for one (both financially and in terms of acquisition cost) then you signal going all in and there's logic behind adding the other. Acquiring either one by himself would leave something to be desired.

From a marketing point of view McCutchen would make more than complete and total sense. I think he's a worthy gamble offensively ... I don't know about defense. Is he completely worthless in the outfield now?
    Last edited by Hawk; 12-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Let's waste a ton of money on a closer to gain 1 win on a non competitive team. Makes a ton of sense.
    you are crazy if you think a dominate closer is worth only one win because some stat says so. MM would slot everyone else down. Our pen would be shut down after 6 good for the next 4 years barring injury.

I also said I would not go to 60. But MM is worth it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I could only see a McCutchen deal if the Braves were to acquire someone like Sale. If you make the commitment for one (both financially and in terms of acquisition cost) then you signal going all in and it makes sense to add the other. Adding either one by himself would leave something to be desired.

From a marketing point of view McCutchen would make more than complete and total sense. I think he's a worthy gamble offensively ... I don't know about defense. Is he completely worthless in the outfield now?
    He's certainly not good. But, you know, Inciarte can cover for all 3 OF spots at one time.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    you are crazy if you think a dominate closer is worth only one win because some stat says so. MM would slot everyone else down. Our pen would be shut down after 6 good for the next 4 years barring injury.

I also said I would not go to 60. But MM is worth it.
    No,I used logic when considering the additional amount of wins. "some stat" would suggest less than 1 win.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    No,I used logic when considering the additional amount of wins. "some stat" would suggest less than 1 win.
    Not sure I agree WAR is the best way to measure relief pitchers. In fact, not sure there is a great measure for relief pitchers besides FIP tbh.

Though I wholeheartedly agree that Melancon would be a bad target for this Braves team (and a great target for SF).

Edit: I see that your implying you weren't considering WAR.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Though I wholeheartedly agree that Melancon would be a bad target for this Braves team (and a great target for SF).
    Yeah he would be a terrible target for us.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Not sure I agree WAR is the best way to measure relief pitchers. In fact, not sure there is a great measure for relief pitchers besides FIP tbh.

Edit: I see that your implying you weren't considering WAR.
    I agree. WAR may even overstate the value of a closer.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    WAR might overstate a closer but undervalues the BP collectively. Adding a dominate closer (relief pitcher) has more value than WAR could ever state. The pressure that it takes off the starters would be impossible to measure. plus the pressure the other team has knowing if it gets to the 6th inning without the lead, their chances of winning are greatly reduced.

I would have been ecstatic if we got MM at 4/50. No, I wouldn't want him at 4/62+ like the Giants did. But our pen was not as bad as the Giants either, so I understand their over pay.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    WAR might overstate a closer but undervalues the BP collectively. Adding a dominate closer (relief pitcher) has more value than WAR could ever state. The pressure that it takes off the starters would be impossible to measure. plus the pressure the other team has knowing if it gets to the 6th inning without the lead, their chances of winning are greatly reduced.

I would have been ecstatic if we got MM at 4/50. No, I wouldn't want him at 4/62+ like the Giants did. But our pen was not as bad as the Giants either, so I understand their over pay.
    Of course, because you should certainly rely on things you cannot quantify. Makes sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Of course, because you should certainly rely on things you cannot quantify. Makes sense.
    Should we ignore them and pretend they don't exist?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If there is no determinable difference, then yes, it's all preconceived notions that makes people "feel" better. Like, "you can't go swimming for 20 minutes after you eat." The difference between a league average closer (something less than Johnson) and Melancon is really small. League average was something like 90% conversion rate in 1 run games last time I checked. Considering the best is not 100%, but something less than that and that the team will still win games that the closer blows; it is really stupid for a non world series contender to pay money for a closer.

Maybe if the team had just a terrible bullpen and a good closer would make a big difference, but that isn't the case here. For the Giants, Melancon makes a little bit of sense.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    that is the problem with Statistics. people who don't deal with them regularly, start to believe them. I can make a data set say 10 COMPLETELY different things and all be TRUE. I do it every day and I am dealing with money, not human performance. so because a HUMAN element of a game can't be measured, then you should completely disregard it and thus make decisions without that being a part of your evaluation. We should only make decisions based on spread sheets and computer models. Also, the nationals are Series champs 3 of the last 5 years.. Where's my Stats, Bro!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (12-05-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    How would you reconcile the prices paid by Cleveland and Chicago for Miller and Chapman? Boston and San Diego paid for Kimbrel? Those are all very smart front offices and they all effectively showed that WAR undervalues elite relief pitchers.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    If there is no determinable difference, then yes, it's all preconceived notions that makes people "feel" better. Like, "you can't go swimming for 20 minutes after you eat." The difference between a league average closer (something less than Johnson) and Melancon is really small. League average was something like 90% conversion rate in 1 run games last time I checked. Considering the best is not 100%, but something less than that and that the team will still win games that the closer blows; it is really stupid for a non world series contender to pay money for a closer.

Maybe if the team had just a terrible bullpen and a good closer would make a big difference, but that isn't the case here. For the Giants, Melancon makes a little bit of sense.
    your error is comparing MM to another closer. You don't do that. You compare him to the pitcher that he would be replacing in the Braves BP. And a little hint, that wouldn't be JJ..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts

Odd you would cite conversion rate in a discussion about value.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    that is the problem with Statistics. people who don't deal with them regularly, start to believe them. I can make a data set say 10 COMPLETELY different things and all be TRUE. I do it every day and I am dealing with money, not human performance. so because a HUMAN element of a game can't be measured, then you should completely disregard it and thus make decisions without that being a part of your evaluation. We should only make decisions based on spread sheets and computer models. Also, the nationals are Series champs 3 of the last 5 years.. Where's my Stats, Bro!
    yada yada yada.