Thread: Realistic moves for the remainder of the offseason

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    And trade bait at deadline...
    Man, we have done more than ok flipping Jelly.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Man, we have done more than ok flipping Jelly.
    I hope we do it every year until he's older than Julio Franco

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They probably aren't that confident that Alvie's does arrive this coming season.

Also Rod could win the Job at 2b or 3b or be a super utility bat.

Just my thought. He's another deadline trade type guy if he hits good also.

I don't think Atlanta is doing much differently than it did the last two years except they are spending a bit more money at MLB rather than hoarding it for other purposes.

Maybe less likely to bail out of the season if they are close.
    They're not really doing anything different. It's just better players than Norris, Chacin, Harrell, Aybar, KJ, and Frenchy. They now have Colon, Garcia, Dickey, and Collmenter on one year deals and Sean and JJ on 2 year deals. Throw in Kroll as well

If they layer it right they could replace Colon, Dickey, Garcia, and Collmenter with Wisler, Blair, and Newcomb/Fried, and Tyrell/Perez. They could replace Sean with Albies and replace JJ and Kroll with Simmons/Dirks/Minter.

A lot of things have to go right for that to happen, but if they could pull a Yankees of last year and get better after trading their vets and stockpile more prospects it could be a great year.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Why, we're actually not that bad anymore
    That remains to be seen. The roster doesn't have any obvious upgrades that are going to make a enough of a difference. This roster as is isn't any better than 70-72 wins. Losing 90 plus games is still bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    That remains to be seen. The roster doesn't have any obvious upgrades that are going to make a enough of a difference. This roster as is isn't any better than 70-72 wins. Losing 90 plus games is still bad.
    You don't even pay attention to the club... you just come to troll, so how would you know? The starting rotation has been hugely upgraded... having Swanson up for a whole year, a healthy Inciarte a whole year, and possibly Albies for most of the year is a huge upgrade... plus its December, and we will make more moves. Sean Rodriguez also makes us better.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You don't even pay attention to the club... you just come to troll, so how would you know? The starting rotation has been hugely upgraded... having Swanson up for a whole year, a healthy Inciarte a whole year, and possibly Albies for most of the year is a huge upgrade... plus its December, and we will make more moves. Sean Rodriguez also makes us better.
    Sure if you say so. Players can only get better and not regress or stay the same. You are saying this like these are all definite things that are going to happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Yeah, no....you're wrong.

Doesn't deserve a response any more in-depth that that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Did we just agree on something? It's becoming more common and I'm becoming concerned.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (12-07-2016), UNCBlue012 (12-08-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

Yeah I guess I forget that only Braves players/prospects only get better each season.

You supposed to make sense, but now you have just fallen in line with all the other homers here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Yeah I guess I forget that only Braves players/prospects only get better each season.

You supposed to make sense, but now you have just fallen in line with all the other homers here.
    Well they certainly don't all get worse...

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    It will be interesting to see what they do if they are bumping along at .500 at the deadline and are within spitting distance of a WC slot.
    Sell the farm, baby. Archer, Longoria, Lucroy... if we're.500, we're loading up. And all those prospects are going to Tampa and other ****ty places.

Woooooooooooo!!!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Is there someone who is productive, but not as productive as their contract that we could get? I was thinking someone like Brandon Phillips. Though I'm not sure Phillips is that good anymore.

I was hoping we could have a creative deal where we get a talent upgrade w/o giving up much b/c someone wants to dump some salary.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Is there someone who is productive, but not as productive as their contract that we could get? I was thinking someone like Brandon Phillips. Though I'm not sure Phillips is that good anymore.

I was hoping we could have a creative deal where we get a talent upgrade w/o giving up much b/c someone wants to dump some salary.
    Like how they got Kemp and could have gotten Mac? Those players are/were out there, but the Braves wasted their time at the winter meetings chasing unrealistic targets instead of pursuing deals that actually make sense.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    We are def. getting an ace at some point. Tyson Ross was an ace!
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Like how they got Kemp and could have gotten Mac? Those players are/were out there, but the Braves wasted their time at the winter meetings chasing unrealistic targets instead of pursuing deals that actually make sense.
    I liked Mac as a salary dump. Sounds like the Yanks tried to hold us over a barrel and I would not have touched their price.

Kemp is a similar deal although I'm not sold on him. But yes, that kind of deal.

There's no reason you can't look into both paths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    We are def. getting an ace at some point. Tyson Ross was an ace!
    Gotta worry about any shoulder issue though. I mean if here's any chance it wasn't a big deal and he can get his stuff back to where it was he could be a steal. I just hope we do our due diligence at evaluating his health. A fully healthy Ross is an ace, no question.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If we're going with a 8 man pen, and starting Mallex out in AAA then "as of now" we'd need a 4th OF'er capable of playing CF who is preferably RH. I also think we need to look at upgrading that 12th man which is Darnaud as of now. Camargo, Ruiz, or even Colin Walsh could get that spot, but it looks like we want veteran players to start off and eventually trade away.

We have some depth to trade from in guys like Akeel Morris, Tyrell Jenkins and Jason Hursh we won't even miss who are on the 40 man roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    By taking a cautious approach this off-season, the front office has given itself a lot of flexibility at the trade deadline. I believe they have left money in the budget for the acquisition of a significant contract. They have also added guys that can be flipped: Garcia, Colon, Dickey, Rodriguez and probably one or two more yet to be signed. We also have a deep bullpen from which we can trade either at the trade deadline or next off-season.

If we add at the trade deadline (and I think this could come even if we are out of contention and mostly involved in selling), there are two obvious areas where it is likely to happen. Third base and starting pitching. Who we add will obviously depend on how various teams are doing in the standings. At third it could Longoria. With respect to starting pitching, I don't see us getting an ace. But I think it is likely that we will upgrade the rotation with someone like Jordan Zimmermann or Ian Kennedy.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-10-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The thing is that everyone is focused on the 2017 season. That's understandable. But, most will at least admit that, while the team is likely to be improved over 2016, it is no where near competing on a one year basis much less on a year after year basis.

There are still VERY big areas of concern, some with no realistic internal options anywhere near.

OF - Kemp and Markakis are on the wrong side of peak baseball from an age standpoint. Both are of dubious current value, much less with the ticking of time. And internal replacement options are pretty scarce. IF Peterson continues to improve, maybe he fills one of those spots but right now he's more likely a 4th OF. Acuna and M Smith are CF and potential replacements for Inciarte (which is the one area that looks ok in the OF), even long shots like Didder are unlikely to profile as everyday LF or RF. And, outside of that, there's not much.

C - This position is really worse off than LF or RF as the 1st option is a career second option on other teams and getting old himself. Essentially no real minor league help within 3 years unless you believe in Scavies.

3B - Ruiz might turn out to at least be part of the solution, but his bat will have to significantly develop. Riley also, but he's 2-3 years away. Garcia surely isn't the long term solution.

Pen - Johnson is bubblegum over the crack in the Dam. It looks to me that they don't really trust OR like Viz. LH relief is very limited.

SS, 2B, 1B and CF all seem to have short term AND long term answers. SP better have a long term answer or the Johns will need to get their resumes ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Long-term SP answers might be in the system but not at the upper levels. We are going to have to sign or trade for at least one SP for 2018.