Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic moves for the remainder of the offseason

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

Realistic moves for the remainder of the offseason

I would like to start a new discussion about where the Braves go from here to fill out the rest of the roster, and what kind of results we can expect from that roster. The ground rules are that the discussion needs to stay realistic, so if you refuse to concede the fact that the Braves roster is all but set except for a few positions (3B, C, BP, Bench, and 2B until Albies is called up), please refrain from joining the discussion.

Catcher: Sign Welington Castillo. The Braves failed to upgrade the catcher position with Mac or Castro, and now another golden opportunity to upgrade the position has magically appeared thanks to the continued ineptitude of the DBacks. Castillo should now be offseason priority #1, even if it takes a multi-year deal to acquire him. He can transition to a backup role when Flowers departs. I still want Flowers catching Folty so he can benefit from his superior framing skills.

3B and 2B: Start the year with a 3 headed SRod/Jace/Garcia platoon at both positions. SRod plays 2B vs LHers and 3B vs RHers. Garcia starts at 3B vs LHers. Jace starts at 2B vs RHers, and comes in as a defensive replacement for Garcia on the days Jace is on the bench. When Albies comes up 1-2 months into the season, he takes the majority of the playing time at 2B, and the SRod/Garcia platoon at 3B is re-evaluated.

Bench: I would like to see a RHed 4th OFer acquired. Some candidates are Rajai Davis, Justin Ruggiano and Desmond Jennings. This 4th OFer will take some PAs against LHers away from Inciarte and Markakis, and be the defensive replacement for Kemp in every game. When the Braves play in an AL park, he will start in the OF so Kemp can shift to DH. The Braves should be able to promise this OFer 350+ ABs, most of which will come with a favorable platoon advantage.

BP: I would like the Braves to be the team who takes a chance on Greg Holland. Sign him to a 1 year deal plus an option year. If he comes back healthy he could be an extremely valuable trade chip at the deadline.

That gives the Braves the following roster with my projected WAR values:

C - Castillo/Flowers: 2-3
    1B - Freeman: 4-5
    2B - Jace/SRod/Albies: 2-3
    SS - Swanson: 2-3
    3B - SRod/Adonis: 1-2
    LF - Kemp: 0-1
    CF - Inciarte: 3-4
    RF - Markakis: 1-2
    BN - Jennings: 0-1
    SP - Julio: 3-4
    SP - Folty: 2-3
    SP - Dickey: 1-2
    SP - Colon: 1-2
    SP - JGarcia: 1-2
    BP - JJ/Holland/Viz/MCab/Krol: 3-4

Total: 26-41 = ~33.5 WAR average = ~81.5 wins
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-06-2016 at 01:38 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We've got nothing coming at C so I have no prob doing a multi year deal with Castillo if it's not too long or too expensive. But 2-3 years...sure. Who is he going to block? We'd want to have 2 C anyway if we stumble into one.

I think what you listed is what we'll do.

I know it won't happen, but I want Turner to run out of options and find his way to a deal that is worth the Braves giving up a pick.

Finding a RH CF would be nice. A defensive sub for Kemp should get a lot of late inning run.

I believe it's possible that DPeterson and or Ruiz could make a jump and show they are ready this year. So I'd like to do our best to keep most signings short term and see if we can get some Coppy flips and maybe open a spot if a guy like Peterson rakes in the minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I think 3rd base and Castillo OR Ramos should be our main priorities. I make a run at Turner or Longo (yes, still). Aside from that and a few BP arms, we keep it simple.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-06-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't think it's out of the question we acquire another SP. I don't think it's out of the question that we trade Inciarte or Albies as their value may be at their peak. Inciarte's because his value lies in defense and Albies inthe fact he may still be viewed as a SS. I also think Folty's value may be at it's highest. He's a year away from arbitration and seems to be injury prone.

With that aside I do think our focus will be on the pen first and foremost( Late inning lefties like Doolittle), followed by a catcher (Castillo or Wieters), 3B (Solarte or Longo) and RH hitting 4th OF. I think that 4th OF will depend on if we trade Ender or Mallex. If we have Ender and Mallex there's no reason that guy has to be a CF minded 4th OF. We'd already have two punching judy CF'ers. If we trade one of them then yes a RH Cf'er would be a good get.

Realistically I could see us acquiring Castillo at C, Solarte at 3B, and Doolittle in the pen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I don't think it's out of the question we acquire another SP. I don't think it's out of the question that we trade Inciarte or Albies as their value may be at their peak. Inciarte's because his value lies in defense and Albies inthe fact he may still be viewed as a SS. I also think Folty's value may be at it's highest. He's a year away from arbitration and seems to be injury prone.

With that aside I do think our focus will be on the pen first and foremost( Late inning lefties like Doolittle), followed by a catcher (Castillo or Wieters), 3B (Solarte or Longo) and RH hitting 4th OF. I think that 4th OF will depend on if we trade Ender or Mallex. If we have Ender and Mallex there's no reason that guy has to be a CF minded 4th OF. We'd already have two punching judy CF'ers. If we trade one of them then yes a RH Cf'er would be a good get.

Realistically I could see us acquiring Castillo at C, Solarte at 3B, and Doolittle in the pen.
    I am assuming that Mallex is playing CF everyday somewhere whether in Atlanta, Gwinnett, or for another team. Mallex rotting on the bench as a 4th OFer is an inexcusable misuse of his value to the organization.

I like the Solarte idea for 3B though. I just wonder why the Braves signed SRod if not to give him the bulk of the playing time at 3B once Albies arrives.

Another option for 3B is Valbuena. He and SRod would make an excellent platoon at 3B.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-06-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Seeing this roster as a whole is amusing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Even if I have to change my signature, I'd be freaking happy with Turner and Castillo... don't think Turner will happen, but those two would be a massive upgrade.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Why, we're actually not that bad anymore

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Agreed. A roster with real potential to win 80+ games will be very amusing to watch.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed. A roster with real potential to win 80+ games will be very amusing to watch.
    I want more. Archer, Castillo, Turner.

Make it so, Coppy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    I'd check in with Wieter's to see what his market is looking like. See if we could get him on a 1 or 2 year deal for relatively cheap. Give him a way to come home and re-establish some value.

If not, no harm no foul.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I want more. Archer, Castillo, Turner.

Make it so, Coppy.
    Archer? Looks like Derp-Along Cassidy missed the "realistic" part of this discussion.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Archer? Looks like Derp-Along Cassidy missed the "realistic" part of this discussion.
    Yeah, I know. I wanted Archer before all this Sale mess started. He fits better, plus the five year thing.

Since it looks like Castillo fixed his framing issue, we need to jump on that yesterday.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I am assuming that Mallex is playing CF everyday somewhere whether in Atlanta, Gwinnett, or for another team. Mallex rotting on the bench as a 4th OFer is an inexcusable misuse of his value to the organization.

I like the Solarte idea for 3B though. I just wonder why the Braves signed SRod if not to give him the bulk of the playing time at 3B once Albies arrives.

Another option for 3B is Valbuena. He and SRod would make an excellent platoon at 3B.
    They probably aren't that confident that Alvie's does arrive this coming season.

Also Rod could win the Job at 2b or 3b or be a super utility bat.

Just my thought. He's another deadline trade type guy if he hits good also.

I don't think Atlanta is doing much differently than it did the last two years except they are spending a bit more money at MLB rather than hoarding it for other purposes.

Maybe less likely to bail out of the season if they are close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They probably aren't that confident that Alvie's does arrive this coming season.

Also Rod could win the Job at 2b or 3b or be a super utility bat.

Just my thought. He's another deadline trade type guy if he hits good also.

I don't think Atlanta is doing much differently than it did the last two years except they are spending a bit more money at MLB rather than hoarding it for other purposes.

Maybe less likely to bail out of the season if they are close.
    It will be interesting to see what they do if they are bumping along at .500 at the deadline and are within spitting distance of a WC slot.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I continue to point out that Mallex is a perfect fit for Oakland's needs, and it should not be that hard to build a package around him for Sonny Gray.

Then you sign Francoeur to be your fourth OF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I continue to point out that Mallex is a perfect fit for Oakland's needs, and it should not be that hard to build a package around him for Sonny Gray.

Then you sign Francoeur to be your fourth OF.
    4th OFers usually need to be able to play CF.

I could see Mallex or Ender to Oakland, but not for Gray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    KJ still makes sence as primary lefty pinch hitter and option at third.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    KJ still makes sence as primary lefty pinch hitter and option at third.
    And trade bait at deadline...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    And trade bait at deadline...
    Maybe trade them Colon and KJ for something juice.

Did you guys read that Big Sexy is hanging em up after this season..