Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overreach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    if you actively try to make laws to treat others not as equal as i am and others, i don't see how that isn't anything but hate

it's insane to think in this country that someone can say "hey, we want to be equal as you" and there are a lot of people that go "nope"

and then hide behind bull**** arguments of tyranny and freedom

it makes light of actual tyranny and dilutes the word freedom
    Do you even realize that you said that you're in favor of not allowing people to think a certain way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do you even realize that you said that you're in favor of not allowing people to think a certain way?
    Nope. That's the power of the leftists platform.

"We are tolerant (of those that vote with us). If you disagree with us you must be intolerant."

It never enters their mind that they are being intolerant. That's as impossible as a minority being a racist, it just can't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post

"We are tolerant (of those that vote with us). If you disagree with us you must be intolerant."

It never enters their mind that they are being intolerant. That's as impossible as a minority being a racist, it just can't happen.
    It's scary that this became the 'enlightened' position. No longer.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Cause I hate freedom and love tyranny

Duh
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    That's as impossible as a minority being a racist.

Well that's a dumb statement
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    It's scary that this became the 'enlightened' position. No longer.
    Hahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Cause I hate freedom and love tyranny

Duh
    Keep ignoring the fact that you support a position of controlling people's thoughts. I get that you are trying to avoid the statement.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    i don't give a flying **** about the statement

you can name it whatever you want

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts

But that runs both ways. I am in my 60s and I remember when the whole political correctness argument ran the other way. If you weren't in favor of bombing the Vietnamese back to the Stone Age, you were considered a communist sympathizer. The whole Red Scare thing was alive and well and ruined many careers in the 1950s and 1960s.

I somewhat agree with the effect of the original article. My problem is "Where does it end?" I know sturg33 will come in with his property rights argument that any business should be able to refuse any customer (and while I don't agree with that, there is an intellectual argument that supports that stance), but in reality, once you enter a free market economy that promotes the free movement of business without barriers, you make a tacit agreement to operate totally in the marketplace. It seems here is that some supposed free marketeers believe in the concept of the free market only to the extent it doesn't offend their sensibilities. I can see all sorts of enterprises using the cover of religion to justify a number of activities that will further divide this country by allowing religious (and I use the term very loosely) to basically secede from the social contract.

But there's no question that high profile confrontations should have been avoided given the volatile nature of the issue.

thethe, you better look up the definition of tyranny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    i don't give a flying **** about the statement

you can name it whatever you want
    Yes, it's clear that you don't care at all about forcing people to think in a singular way which is closely aligned with how you feel is the right way. And of course you don't think there is anything g wrong with that. I very much understand your stance and I'm glad it's out in the open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But that runs both ways. I am in my 60s and I remember when the whole political correctness argument ran the other way. If you weren't in favor of bombing the Vietnamese back to the Stone Age, you were considered a communist sympathizer. The whole Red Scare thing was alive and well and ruined many careers in the 1950s and 1960s.

I somewhat agree with the effect of the original article. My problem is "Where does it end?" I know sturg33 will come in with his property rights argument that any business should be able to refuse any customer (and while I don't agree with that, there is an intellectual argument that supports that stance), but in reality, once you enter a free market economy that promotes the free movement of business without barriers, you make a tacit agreement to operate totally in the marketplace. It seems here is that some supposed free marketeers believe in the concept of the free market only to the extent it doesn't offend their sensibilities. I can see all sorts of enterprises using the cover of religion to justify a number of activities that will further divide this country by allowing religious (and I use the term very loosely) to basically secede from the social contract.

But there's no question that high profile confrontations should have been avoided given the volatile nature of the issue.

What else would you call the desire to control people's thoughts? Thats one of the most dangerous position I've ever heard someone take on this political board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    cool

glad we could go take that time to make sure i'm on the record for not being on the side of thinking it's ok to treat people as 2nd class citizens.

what a dishonor to be on the record for that

i'm so ashamed

but your slippery slope argument and false use of tyranny was such a blast

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Yes, it's clear that you don't care at all about forcing people to think in a singular way which is closely aligned with how you feel is the right way. And of course you don't think there is anything g wrong with that. I very much understand your stance and I'm glad it's out in the open.
    It's not thinking in a singular way! It's asking people to recognize the rights that people have to participate in the economy. goldfly isn't saying everyone has to order vanilla ice cream. He's saying everyone should be allowed in the ice cream shop to order the flavor they prefer. Do I have that right goldfly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    It's not thinking in a singular way! It's asking people to recognize the rights that people have to participate in the economy. goldfly isn't saying everyone has to order vanilla ice cream. He's saying everyone should be allowed in the ice cream shop to order the flavor they prefer. Do I have that right goldfly?
    yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Of course everyone should be allowed in the shop. I've never said otherwise. But not everyone should be forced to feel everyone should be allowed. I would nevery be in favor of taking someone property rights away or the freedom to live free of physical harm as well as extreme mental harm.

But in now way should people ever be forced to think a certain way even if their beliefs are repugnant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    The statement literally was not allowing the freedom for someone to hate. That is legislation of thought is it not?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Not being able to get your cake anywhere you want isn't things being forced on you.

My boss is gay, and my colleague is catholic. Over drinks they discuss their beliefs and why they believe them. I think she is wrong, but in no world does she "hate" like is commonly being thrown around by goldy. "Hate" will be the new "racist" when it comes to just crying wolf over and over and over again until it loses its meaning
    When hate means anything it means nothing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-09-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Of course everyone should be allowed in the shop. I've never said otherwise. But not everyone should be forced to feel everyone should be allowed. I would nevery be in favor of taking someone property rights away or the freedom to live free of physical harm as well as extreme mental harm.

But in now way should people ever be forced to think a certain way even if their beliefs are repugnant.
    Everyone has the freedom to believe what they want to believe, but there are--and should be--limits to how people act of those beliefs. I am not a racist, but some are. If I believe that people of a different race are ruining society, should I be allowed to chastise them and make their lives miserable. There is a distinct difference between what one believes and how one acts. Just because I don't believe that a certain stretch of road shouldn't have a 30 mph speed limit doesn't give me the right to drive 60. It's called a social contract. We all give up something to gain something else.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    When hate means anything it means nothing.
    Agree here, but we now live in a society wrought with hyperbole. It pervades our life daily. One can't say they simply enjoyed the meal. They have to tell the host that it was stupendous for fear of offending.