Thread: What if the Braves still want Trammell?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

What if the Braves still want Trammell?

One of the worst-kept secrets of the 2016 draft was the Braves' gamble on picking homegrown talent Taylor Trammell. They tried playing poker with the teams, but the Reds nipped their strategy in the bud by picking the slick outfielder out of Mt. Paran Christian with the No. 35 pick, frustrating the Braves who were at No. 40.
    The Braves got a nice consolation prize in Joey Wentz, but the relative shortage of versatile outfielders in the system is becoming more and more of a talking point. Trammell did not disappoint the Reds, playing all three outfield positions for Billings, committing only one error, and hitting .303 with 24 stolen bases but little pop.
    But what if the Braves still covet the 6-2 lefty talent? Well, consider this: the very young Reds starting rotation, which at one point consisted of five rookies, has a negative WAR for the entire 2016 season according to Fangraphs. Only three of their projected starters had as many as 100 innings, and Call to the Pen calls their bullpen a "mess."
    What would it take to snatch Trammell away? Thinking that it might be a package worth making to fill a position that could use another projectionable position prospect.
    Last edited by rico43; 12-11-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Clarified

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Definitely an interesting question, but unfortunately I don't think we match up particularly well with the Reds. They're rebuilding just like we are, so trading some present value for future value won't work as well. Then you have the fact that they clearly coveted Trammell last June and he did nothing in rookie ball to suggest they were wrong to do so.

My guess is that it would take a prospect like Newcomb or Soroka to get him, which is really risky for both parties, and wouldn't really happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    One of the worst-kept secrets of the 2016 draft was the Braves' gamble on picking homegrown talent Taylor Trammell. They tried playing poker with the teams, but the Reds nipped their strategy in the bud by picking the slick outfielder out of Mt. Paran Christian with the No. 35 pick, frustrating the Braves who were at No. 40.
    The Braves got a nice consolation prize in Joey Wentz, but the relative shortage of versatile outfielders in the system is becoming more and more of a talking point. Trammell did not disappoint the Reds, playing all three outfield positions for Billings, committing only one error, and hitting .303 with 24 stolen bases but little pop.
    But what if the Braves still covet the 6-2 lefty talent? Well, consider this: the very young Reds starting rotation, which at one point consisted of five rookies, has a negative WAR for the entire 2016 season according to Fangraphs. Only three of their projected starters had as many as 100 innings, and Call to the Pen calls their bullpen a "mess."
    What would it take to snatch Trammell away? Thinking that it might be a package worth making to fill a position that could use another projectionable position prospect.
    He projects best in CF doesn't he? Braves have no shortage of CF prospects. Inciarte has years of control and Mallex hasn't gotten started. Acuna is perhaps a great prospect and people say good thinks about Pache as well.

Braves are missing corner OFs in the pipeline if anything else. Power.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Remembering how much Braves wanted him in June, just thought I'd try some outside the box thinking. I was thinking Wisler for Trammell straight up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Remembering how much Braves wanted him in June, just thought I'd try some outside the box thinking. I was thinking Wisler for Trammell straight up.
    Holy crap, that would be a huge overpay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Holy crap, that would be a huge overpay.
    Yeah. I think Wisler still has a good chance of being a solid mid-rotation starter.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. I think Wisler still has a good chance of being a solid mid-rotation starter.
    I'm thinking Wisler for Taylor Trammel, Tyler Stephenson and Tony Santillan.

That would be a ceiling vs floor trade for the Braves. Wisler's floor is probably a ML #5 with a ceiling of a ML #3. He's at least a 5 now.

Trammel another long term OF option who might be a starter in CF or LF but is probably no worse than a 4th OF.

Stephenson is a long term catching prospect who's an upside play all the way, but he's boom or bust. If he's boom he might be a future All Star Catcher for many years, bust and he fade's quickly to never be heard from again.

Santillan is a long term guy who probably is a pen arm with closing not out of the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    I am sure there's several players every year they want but aren't able to draft. If the opportunity presents itself I am sure they will go after him just like Hart did with Jackson.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.