Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Brunson

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Y'all, it's OK to have ambivalent feelings about missionaries without blaming the victim here. You don't have to share somebody's convictions to recognize them as a political prisoner or prisoner of conscience.
    Well said!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Y'all, it's OK to have ambivalent feelings about missionaries without blaming the victim here. You don't have to share somebody's convictions to recognize them as a political prisoner or prisoner of conscience.

Thanks friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I don't know anything specific about this situation and of course, I hope the guy goes free. I know the great majority of missionaries (I don't include the Mormons) do selfless, life affirming humanitarian work of which there is none higher. I totally support humanitarian aid but not conversion.

Bedell said that he hoped the guy wouldn't end up being a pawn. My point was that he became a pawn of sorts when he agreed to be a missionary.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

From his mom back at the beginning of November:

Today we saw Andrew. He said,"I plead with the Lord to release me by Christmas so I can be with Blaise's last year in high school and Jackie's graduation before she moves to Germany. But if I'm still here at Christmas, then I'll thank God for sending Jesus to be born. If I'm still here at New Year, I'll thank him for helping me make it through this year. If I'm here on my birthday, I'll give thanks for the life I've had." Amazing grace, how sweet the sound!" (Andrew is holding a cross given by the Chinese).

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I hope that he and all the victims of political repression and religious intolerance there and elsewhere will soon be able to worship, associate, and spend their holy days and election days as they choose. In Turkey and every country in the world...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I hope that he and all the victims of political repression and religious intolerance there and elsewhere will soon be able to worship, associate, and spend their holy days and election days as they choose. In Turkey and every country in the world...
    You'd think as many of us are there are here, and as many different beliefs, viewpoints, political affiliations and dalliances as are represented here there would be at least ONE of us who actually knew a Senator, Representative, or at least some highly placed or connected individual who cared about helping people other than themselves and their own bank account (regular or offshore).

Hey what about Mike Huckabee, ie the white Al Sharpton? He likes helping people who are victims of "religious persecution", right? The problem may be that Bedell's friend really is a victim of religious persecution and not just a good quality photo op.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Amen.

I know of this one directly - have spent time with his father, have worshiped in a church he started in Izmir, am good friends with many who have gone to school with him or who have worked with him - so this one touches close to home. Let's advocate for others as well. Just know, I'll keep this before my friends here and elsewhere and the powers that be...

If you are willing to contact your Senators on his behalf, that would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (12-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    You'd think as many of us are there are here, and as many different beliefs, viewpoints, political affiliations and dalliances as are represented here there would be at least ONE of us who actually knew a Senator, Representative, or at least some highly placed or connected individual who cared about helping people other than themselves and their own bank account (regular or offshore).

Hey what about Mike Huckabee, ie the white Al Sharpton? He likes helping people who are victims of "religious persecution", right? The problem may be that Bedell's friend really is a victim of religious persecution and not just a good quality photo op.

Yeah, helping Andrew probably won't earn you much if you are seeking the applause of men. Now, if he had been a basketball player, well that's another story altogether.