User Tag List

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 206

Thread: Trade Inciarte or No?

  1. #101
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,961
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Think of it this way, you've just met a nice, attractive girl and you're going on a first date. Maybe a casual dinner. Obviously, there's going to be an opportunity to share information on the things that you like. Citing the previous examples, chess might be a hard sell. If you're passionate enough, this shouldn't be a deal breaker. Enjoying music is something that will probably get her attention. You could say you like baseball, and even if she's not a fan, she could understand/appreciate it. Then, try explaining to her about fantasy leagues, Fangraphs, the optimal version of WAR, maintaining Excel spreadsheets on salaries with hypothetical lineups projected out until 2023.

    It's not difficult to envision what sort of reaction this might elicit. At that point, it wouldn't be very subjective!
    You might be on to something. Thinking back to my pre-married period, I did tend to downplay my interest in baseball (and sports generally) when meeting a woman I wanted to impress. And my geeky interest in the statistical side of baseball was a deep dark secret. I felt that was not a good image to present. My interests in wine, travel, even opera were the things I played up.

    But I feel this is sort of a safe space where my weird and socially unacceptable interests can be pursued.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    GovClintonTyree (12-18-2016),jpx7 (12-19-2016),Knucksie (12-18-2016)

  3. #102
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,235
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 705 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    HH, i think you would find quite a range of opinion as to how much weight 2017 should be given relative to subsequent years
    As one of the go-for-it guys, I would say I agree that we're not contenders...but if the boys decided to fill 3B, C and SP1, then we'd be competitive. Question is, how hard should we really churn to make that happen when it's a very narrow set of circumstances that would fill all that without unduly hurting the future...there's still time, certainly, but if you fix one you need to do all three.

  4. #103
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,235
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 705 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You might be on to something. Thinking back to my pre-married period, I did tend to downplay my interest in baseball (and sports generally) when meeting a woman I wanted to impress. And my geeky interest in the statistical side of baseball was a deep dark secret. I felt that was not a good image to present. My interests in wine, travel, even opera were the things I played up.

    But I feel this is sort of a safe space where my weird and socially unacceptable interests can be pursued.
    I laughed.

  5. #104
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,235
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 705 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. But he does it in manly non-geeky style. Which apparently he thinks we should all aim to emulate.
    Enscheff does this, as well.

  6. #105
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,532
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 855 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Think of it this way, you've just met a nice, attractive girl and you're going on a first date. Maybe a casual dinner. Obviously, there's going to be an opportunity to share information on the things that you like. Citing the previous examples, chess might be a hard sell. If you're passionate enough, this shouldn't be a deal breaker. Enjoying music is something that will probably get her attention. You could say you like baseball, and even if she's not a fan, she could understand/appreciate it. Then, try explaining to her about fantasy leagues, Fangraphs, the optimal version of WAR, maintaining Excel spreadsheets on salaries with hypothetical lineups projected out until 2023.

    It's not difficult to envision what sort of reaction this might elicit. At that point, it wouldn't be very subjective!
    Again, you're carrying out this argument on a baseball message board. My objective opinion is that you're in the same boat, bro.

  7. #106
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,961
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Again, you're carrying out this argument on a baseball message board. My objective opinion is that you're in the same boat, bro.
    My subjective opinion is that he is on a boat of his own.

  8. #107
    On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List blueagleace1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    735
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 208 Times in 134 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    My subjective opinion is that he is on a boat of his own.
    And it's WAYYY out at sea...
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

  9. #108
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 374 Times in 265 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Enscheff does this, as well.
    He has a financial incentive. An executive from a major league team just might spot one of his posts, be impressed, and offer him a job.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

    GovClintonTyree (12-19-2016)

  11. #109
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,961
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    He has a financial incentive. An executive from a major league team just might spot one of his posts, be impressed, and offer him a job.
    You might get spotted too. I hear they are looking for a new version of "the most interesting man in the world" for the Dos Equis ad campaign.

  12. #110
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 374 Times in 265 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You might get spotted too. I hear they are looking for a new version of "the most interesting man in the world" for the Dos Equis ad campaign.
    Not for that swill. Tecate and Modelo are all right, when visiting Texas, but that's about the extent.

    Think they did bring in the new guy though anyway, didn't they. Saw a new commercial where he kicks a field goal between a couple of giraffes/

  13. #111
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,961
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Not for that swill. Tecate and Modelo are all right, when visiting Texas, but that's about the extent.

    Think they did bring in the new guy though anyway, didn't they. Saw a new commercial where he kicks a field goal between a couple of giraffes/
    the new guy does not impress me

  14. #112
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,235
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 705 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the new guy does not impress me
    He's interesting.

  15. #113
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    11,961
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    He's interesting.
    not as interesting as Knucksie

  16. #114
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,235
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 705 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    He has a financial incentive. An executive from a major league team just might spot one of his posts, be impressed, and offer him a job.
    I think he's in an unfulfilling and unsatisfactory relationship, largely because of choices he's made. As a result, he spends a lot of time on the internet amusing himself and typing out long, overwrought, overthought posts that elicit a broad range of emotional responses that he's missing at home.

    I could be wrong, though.

  17. #115
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,235
    Thanks
    1,115
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 705 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not as interesting as Knucksie
    Nowhere close.

  18. #116
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 374 Times in 265 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    not as interesting as Knucksie
    All the interesting topics have already run their courses on the other boards (indie rock, Scotch, car talk and beer). It's why the weighier topics of Western Civilization have to give way to hostile interactions about Class A pitchers!

  19. #117
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,786
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 374 Times in 265 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think he's in an unfulfilling and unsatisfactory relationship, largely because of choices he's made. As a result, he spends a lot of time on the internet amusing himself and typing out long, overwrought, overthought posts that elicit a broad range of emotional responses that he's missing at home.

    I could be wrong, though.
    You might well be right. Another member actually did a profile on him. It probably was reasonably accurate, but it did come as a surprise that so many personal clues were left about the offline lifestyle.

  20. #118
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,442
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 922 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think he's in an unfulfilling and unsatisfactory relationship, largely because of choices he's made. As a result, he spends a lot of time on the internet amusing himself and typing out long, overwrought, overthought posts that elicit a broad range of emotional responses that he's missing at home.

    I could be wrong, though.
    Haha, seriously, how much time do you guys spend thinking about me?

    It's weird.

    You and the rest of the Goof Troop insinuate I lie about my personal life. So what exactly have I lied about?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-19-2016 at 04:38 PM.

  21. #119
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,878
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 466 Times in 285 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    You might well be right. Another member actually did a profile on him. It probably was reasonably accurate, but it did come as a surprise that so many personal clues were left about the offline lifestyle.
    Not really my place or intent to defend Enscheff, BUT you guys hammer on people for speculating on trades (even if they are likely just daydreams) with real, live baseball players, yet spend pages speculating about another interwebs poster and/or trying to draw said poster into an electronic slap-fight? Well, bon jour, I guess.

    I like my way better.

    Yankees said to be shopping for Starting Pitching. Maybe Teheran for Frazier, Rutherford and Chad Green.

  22. #120
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,442
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 922 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    He has a financial incentive. An executive from a major league team just might spot one of his posts, be impressed, and offer him a job.
    Nah, I had a head hunter look into job opportunities with MLB teams, and they don't pay well at all. Anyone coming out of school with programming/analysis skills can make $100k+, and MLB teams are offering less than half that while expecting 60+ hours worked per week, including weekends. There are countless smart kids coming out of school with dreams of being a GM, so teams can hire them for peanuts and work them to death.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •