Thread: Trade Inciarte or No?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Think of it this way, you've just met a nice, attractive girl and you're going on a first date. Maybe a casual dinner. Obviously, there's going to be an opportunity to share information on the things that you like. Citing the previous examples, chess might be a hard sell. If you're passionate enough, this shouldn't be a deal breaker. Enjoying music is something that will probably get her attention. You could say you like baseball, and even if she's not a fan, she could understand/appreciate it. Then, try explaining to her about fantasy leagues, Fangraphs, the optimal version of WAR, maintaining Excel spreadsheets on salaries with hypothetical lineups projected out until 2023.

It's not difficult to envision what sort of reaction this might elicit. At that point, it wouldn't be very subjective!
    You might be on to something. Thinking back to my pre-married period, I did tend to downplay my interest in baseball (and sports generally) when meeting a woman I wanted to impress. And my geeky interest in the statistical side of baseball was a deep dark secret. I felt that was not a good image to present. My interests in wine, travel, even opera were the things I played up.

But I feel this is sort of a safe space where my weird and socially unacceptable interests can be pursued.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (12-18-2016), jpx7 (12-19-2016), Knucksie (12-18-2016)