Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2017

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2017

About as satisfying a group as I could imagine, announced this week.

Pearl Jam, which everyone said was a lock with this being their first eligible year.

Tupac, because in large part he influenced people and sold millions of records after he died.

ELO, long one of my guilty pleasures; Lynne has resumed playing under the brand and has two knockout sisters on violin and cello and did some killer live shows this year. (Look up Glastonbury 2016).

Journey won the fan vote in, remarkably, the first year they were ever nominated. Schon says he wants Steve Perry to join them for the induction.

Joan Baez, who was a Dylan soulmate in the 60s. You would have thought she'd been put in years ago.

Yes. Too late, though. Only band member to appear of every album was Chris Squire, who passed away last year. But it seems this will get Jon Anderson back with the band, which has kept rotating members of the core group.

Acts that still need to be inducted: Doobie Brothers, Little Feat, ELP.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Pearl Jam, Yes, ELO and Journey all were picks from the fan ballot.

What's interesting and I wonder if the band had any say is only Krusen will be with Pearl Jam from their former drummer brigade. Krusen only drummed for Ten. Abruzzese who toured for a lot of Ten and drummed on Vs. and Vitalogy, I knid of hope they bring him onstage because his input was valuable.

I think this is one of the stronger classes, I think all bands will perform which has been an issue in the past, I think they represent a talented varietal of musicians that Jam should be great. Maybe not as great as the 2013 Jam, but still great.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    As I understand it, only the winner of the fan ballot gets a vote posted in the actual election. But it was clearly the case that, except for The Cars, the popular vote and the smoke-filled room vote was pretty much in sync.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    As I understand it, only the winner of the fan ballot gets a vote posted in the actual election. But it was clearly the case that, except for The Cars, the popular vote and the smoke-filled room vote was pretty much in sync.

The Cars aren't in? The Cars get more airplay today than everyone of those rock bands. Hell they get more spins than U2 and the Doors. That's a helluva argument they can make
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 12-22-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    What I read from the presser was that the top 5 vote getters from the fan vote all counted. I think what they did in the past was the top vote getter got in, but they stopped that IIRC the year Rush obliterated the fan ballot realizing that highly motivated fan bases could really manipulate the results. Which IMO is worth it because rabid fan base 25+ years after coming out is a heck of an accomplishment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    The Cars aren't in? The Cars get more airplay today than everyone of those rock bands. Hell they get more spins than U2 and the Doors. That's a helluva argument they can make
    I find that really hard to believe. The Cars get more playtime than Journey? Pearl Jam and Pac I can believe because they're not old enough to be classic rock and get airplay on the same stations, but I've heard way more Journey songs on the radio than Cars. Granted I don't listen to as much radio now as I did 10 years ago, but it can't have changed that much.

Cause this report certainly disagrees with that

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...it-used-to-be/

But again, that isn't really fair to Pearl Jam as they don't get many spins on classic rock aside from maybe Jeremy. And it's not fair to U2 as well as some of their early 90s stuff doesn't get spun on classic rock. If you read the article which is 2 years old. The majority of CLassic rock was from 73-82 in his sample, which generally seems fair from what I have personally experienced.

What is lost in that though, is actual impact. What people out there really care about the Cars?

But you're a big fan of citing sales. Quick calculation in my head, they had 6 albums certified platinum for a total of like 23 times. ANd I'm just counting US here. Pearl Jam has a certified Diamond Album, 6 certified platinum albums for a total of being certified platinum 28 times. Again to add as well, that's just in the US, ignoring the 27 times in AUstralia, or 30 times in AUstralia.

Bands like ELO and Yes are getting in as influencers now more than anything else. Similar to Rush getting in when they did. Their impact on musicians is why they're in.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    The Hall's own criteria lists influence. Sales are not an official factor, despite being more quantifiable. They want to sell seats to the dinner. Fan balloting is a small portion of overall. Counts as one vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    What is lost in that though, is actual impact. What people out there really care about the Cars?
    Like any other Hall of Fame, some of the nomination/induction processes are based on precedence. If Blondie got in early on first try, why have The Cars encountered so much resistance? They came up at the same try with similar influence on New Wave. Blondie did better with singles. The Cars did better with albums sales.

If The Beatles get in, The Stones get in.
    If Nirvana gets in, Pearl Jam gets in.
    If Public Enemy gets in, NWA gets in.

So what are inductions based on then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Blondie gets in because of Debbie Harry. Not to put it any other way but being one of the most famous female frontwomen of all time gets you bonus points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Blondie gets in because of Debbie Harry. Not to put it any other way but being one of the most famous female frontwomen of all time gets you bonus points.
    That's a factor but she and her partner, Chris Stein, were also tight with Jenn Wenner of Rolling Stone.