Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fox News and their Ilk are the worst

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Many of which are conservatives, right? At least the sort I know of. It's the world I swim in - middle class to upper lower class, with socially conservative views typically, and who give - of their money and time.
    Not sure of your point/question?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    And on Boxing Day, I suggest we just go out and do something generous, rather than bitch about stuff.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Not sure of your point/question?
    Aren't many of the ones you say are the most generous conservatives - at least social conservatives?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Aren't many of the ones you say are the most generous conservatives - at least social conservatives?
    Did I ever say otherwise? I always try to point out that there are good and bad people in/from all groups. What I'm hearing on this board lately is the same BS that I saw back in the early parts of W's first term. What I seem to be reading now is (and correct me if I'm wrong) don't piss on anything/anyone unless you're sure you're pointing towards a Dem. Can this possibly be the case?

Oh and while I know you're definitely no Trump supporter, in what universe is he or his inner circle a social conservative?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    so, which cities, states, etc., fine churches for trying to help the poor/homeless? This would seem to me to be a good cause for everyone to get behind (stopping this practice).
    Could you tell the city Democrat led counsels that. Anything the church do for good, they want to punish them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Did I ever say otherwise? I always try to point out that there are good and bad people in/from all groups. What I'm hearing on this board lately is the same BS that I saw back in the early parts of W's first term. What I seem to be reading now is (and correct me if I'm wrong) don't piss on anything/anyone unless you're sure you're pointing towards a Dem. Can this possibly be the case?

Oh and while I know you're definitely no Trump supporter, in what universe is he or his inner circle a social conservative?
    You implied otherwise - or that's how what you've written has been read by me - and I think a few others.

Typically, we all hear what we want to hear. Then we pontificate. Straw men and all.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-26-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

When the Dems quit punishing people for voicing their opinion is when I get off their necks.

I get fined 140k because I don't want to put a penis on a cake for a gay couple, seriously? Or better yet sued for serving bacon greased meal to a Muslim family.

When will this nonsense quit? I gave up my Democrat carrying card as soon as their Gestapo ways started.
    Last edited by AerchAngel; 12-26-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Typically, we all hear what we want to hear. Then we pontificate. Straw men and all.
    Yes, apparently we do.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Could you tell the city Democrat led counsels that. Anything the church do for good, they want to punish them.
    Again, an example would be nice, or can you just tell those cities by the horns on their administrations' heads?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    When the Dems quit punishing people for voicing their opinion is when I get off their necks.

I get fined 140k because I don't want to put a penis on a cake for a gay couple, seriously? Or better yet sued for serving bacon greased meal to a Muslim family.

When will this nonsense quit? I gave up my Democrat carrying card as soon as their Gestapo ways started.
    I"d still like to have some evidence of any time I've defended the Dems. All I recall doing is to say the Repubs suck as well, but maybe that's the same thing these days. I know it was about a decade ago. I guess history really does repeat itself, I of all people should have recognized this sooner. Pretty ironic huh?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Then maybe you need to watch it again, or maybe you really aren't that conservative.

See here OHawk - here you imply that those who are really conservative are Scrooges. Problem is, that's a mighty broad brush you are painting with. What exactly do you mean by "conservative" if you think this?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Here's a personal anecdote OHawk. In one town I ministered in, the local churches (most fairly small) pooled resources and operated from those resources a clothing closet, a food pantry, a soup kitchen, and an assistance center - all on shoestring budgets. We saw the need of a temporary homeless shelter and had room in the building that housed the soup kitchen, to open up a overnight accommodations for probably 15 people/night. You can't imagine the hindrances the city/town government put up (and you might be surprised at the party affiliation of the mayor and many of the city/town council-folk). You see the soup kitchen was about 4-5 blocks away from the center of town. It was a nightmare, but we persevered despite the guagmire the city made us slog thru.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-26-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    See here OHawk - here you imply that those who are really conservative are Scrooges. Problem is, that's a mighty broad brush you are painting with. What exactly do you mean by "conservative" if you think this?
    That was a reply to weso's "hey we don't need to watch A Christmas Carol, we already know what it's about".

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Here's a personal anecdote OHawk. In one town I ministered in, the local churches (most fairly small) pooled resources and operated from those resources a clothing closet, a food pantry, a soup kitchen, and an assistance center - all on shoestring budgets. We saw the need of a temporary homeless shelter and had room in the building that housed the soup kitchen, to open up a overnight accommodations for probably 15 people/night. You can't imagine the hindrances the city/town government put up (and you might be surprised at the party affiliation of the mayor and many of the city/town council-folk). You see the soup kitchen was about 4-5 blocks away from the center of town. It was a nightmare, but we persevered despite the guagmire the city made us slog thru.
    Sounds like that city council needs to have a spot light shined on their ahole-ness. Was the 4-5 blocks too close to their highnesses (absolutely no political affiliation implied)??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    There is a role for local, state, and federal governments to play (probably larger than many small-government conservatives and definitely libertarians imagine), and a role for charities (including churches) and individuals to play (larger and more important role than many liberals imagine).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Sounds like that city council needs to have a spot light shined on their ahole-ness. Was the 4-5 blocks too close to their highnesses (absolutely no political affiliation implied)??

Small town and you know how that works. After the spotlight is gone, the real powers that be are still there and are pissed. So, just slog it out and keep doing what's for the good.

Yes, too close.

Neat thing about that group of churches and maybe it was because it was a small town/city, is that the liberal mainline churches, local black churches, and evangelical churches all worked together. It was also a means of checking people who just work the system. They couldn't play one church off of another one. There was a built-in accountability that way.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    There is a role for local, state, and federal governments to play (probably larger than many small-government conservatives and definitely libertarians imagine), and a role for charities (including churches) and individuals to play (larger and more important role than many liberals imagine).
    Totally agree, the government isn't the total answer by any means, though the fact that certain people think they pay too much in taxes doesn't outweigh Biblical edicts IMO. I've never stated that the government is the answer or even the biggest part of it. They're better than nothing, though sometimes not by much. I have a big problem with the arrogance and denial of the necessity of helping the poor by the wealthy, no matter their political affiliation. Should the haves just relegate themselves to taking care of those who don't want to work? Of course not and I've never said that, but those who hide money in the Cayman Islands because they feel "picked on" despite their socioeconomic status are putting themselves into danger of judgment but I suppose that's their right to do. And any government that treats some/part/all of its people like they aren't important or don't matter because of their perceived level of "worth" doesn't deserve to exist IMO. Of course that will no doubt piss some people around here off too. Such is life though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    We have 4 in the city, not a single one from any Democrat led business. All are Conservative outreach programs or churches. One is named after one of African American pioneers of helping those in need.

We have far more than 15 a night, we have families in there because my job always donate things to the family. I myself give them clothes and shoes and plan on doing a lot more in the near future with coats we no longer use.

I know some at work donate their time by cooking for them and babysitting while they look for work and if I am not mistaken my boss hired a few to get them off the streets and out of harms way even with a record.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-26-2016)