Your Royal Highness

From the Wee Flea. Had a pint once with him - great and fun guy. Link

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Had a pint once with him - great and fun guy.
    hold up

have we ever gotten this story before

and if so, how did i miss it?

edit: never mind, i'm guessing you are talking about "theweeflea". i guess the many bottles of wine at christmas eve dinner and then continued to have while watching christmas movies and wrapping presents has for sure taken affect. cheers

merry christmas man
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    From the Wee Flea. Had a pint once with him - great and fun guy. Link
    So, what kind of guy did he seem like? One (made up) story I always tell my classes when we discuss the current British monarch is that death has been by to claim Elizabeth at least 10 times, but every time she tells him she refuses to go until William is old enough to reign and that she WILL NOT allow herself to die until she can make sure someone other than that doofus (Charles) is ready to take over for her. Now of course this is fiction (mostly) but since you've met him, tell us more about the guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Somebody has a new idea of who the real king is. And who says that Republicans don't have a sense of humor?

That is so funny on one level but scary on another. It seems the P party has learned much from the Donald. We are all doomed.
    Last edited by Runnin; 12-25-2016 at 08:54 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    hold up

have we ever gotten this story before

and if so, how did i miss it?

edit: never mind, i'm guessing you are talking about "theweeflea". i guess the many bottles of wine at christmas eve dinner and then continued to have while watching christmas movies and wrapping presents has for sure taken affect. cheers

merry christmas man

Yeah, the Wee Flea - not Doofus. :-)

Merry Christmas gold!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    So, what kind of guy did he seem like? One (made up) story I always tell my classes when we discuss the current British monarch is that death has been by to claim Elizabeth at least 10 times, but every time she tells him she refuses to go until William is old enough to reign and that she WILL NOT allow herself to die until she can make sure someone other than that doofus (Charles) is ready to take over for her. Now of course this is fiction (mostly) but since you've met him, tell us more about the guy.

The Wee Flea is a great guy. :-)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    The Wee Flea is a great guy. :-)
    Might I inquire as to a pint of what? ;)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    An Innis and Gunn on the Royal Mile.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    "...Your view of Muhammed is coloured by your desire to believe that Islam is at core fundamentally just another religion like Christianity and it really does mean peace. But it is a wrong view of both Muhammed and of Islam. Any comparison with him and ‘our Lord Jesus Christ’ (as you rightly call him) shows that. As you know we get our information about Jesus from the four Gospels, about Mohammed from the Quran, the Hadith and other sources such as the Sirat Rasul Allah. Without going into the details – which of course you can easily check – the basic facts are that whereas Jesus was a religious leader, Muhammed was a religious, political and military leader. Jesus never killed anyone, nor owned slaves, but Muhammed killed over 3,000 (including 700 plus captured Jews in Medina) and had many slaves. Jesus never married, Muhammed had many wives. And so on. Your attempt, along with many liberal Western politicians, to portray Islam as equivalent to Christianity just does not work. I could give many more, but consider this. In the first 300 years of Christianity, Christians were persecuted, abused, tortured and killed. They never sought to spread their faith by force. In the first 300 years of Islam, Islam spread by military conquest throughout North Africa, the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Muhammed himself fought in 27 battles. I realise that some Christians after that (when political power and Christianity often went together) then behaved in a manner which was contrary to Christ, but I think the origins of the religions are important – as are the fundamental differences between the founders.

None of that means that Christianity is necessarily right and Islam wrong. But it certainly means that they are fundamentally different. The failure to recognise this amongst European and Western Liberals is creating havoc, because it means that we forget how much of our liberal heritage is owed to Christianity, and how much it is threatened by Islam. I know that there are many Muslims who are peace loving – but to portray Islam itself as such is not wise. In fact I wonder whether there is anything more ‘post-truth’ in this post-truth generation? You are aware that Islam is a political as well as a religious system and that it means ‘submission’, not peace. Or perhaps to be fair, that should be peace through submission?

You spoke of the “freedom to practice their faith according to their conscience“. Personally I think that is the foundation of all our freedoms. Although it too has limits. If my faith says I can have four wifes, or that I can beat my wife, I assume that you would regard that as a freedom too far! But my problem here is that I am struggling to think of any country where Islam is in political power and yet allows real freedom of religion. Is there any Islamic country where muslims are free to change their faith? My brother was once in your Majesty’s forces and sent to fight in the first Iraq/Kuwait war. He told me that they were instructed not to even take their own personal bibles with them in case it offended our allies, the Saudis. Is that freedom? What were we fighting for?

I can think of many people I know who are Christians in Islamic countries and have to live in fear of being accused of blasphemy. Even in your own country I have come across people who are under police protection because they have changed their faith. I’m afraid that by appealing to the example of Muhammed you are only fuelling the fire. All one has to do is read what Muhammed said and thought about apostates or unbelievers, to realise that if people take what you say seriously, and thus take him seriously, we are in real trouble!

There is one elephant in the room that you did not mention in your talk. Who is doing the persecuting of Christians in the vast majority of cases? Surely not the religion of peace?..."