Thread: A NYT Confession

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

A NYT Confession

As they say "honest confession is good for the soul." Glad someone at the NYT is honest here - they really don't get religion. Link

"I want to make sure that we are much more creative about beats out in the country so that we understand that anger and disconnectedness that people feel. And I think I use religion as an example because I was raised Catholic in New Orleans. I think that the New York-based and Washington-based too probably, media powerhouses don’t quite get religion. We have a fabulous religion writer, but she’s all alone. We don’t get religion. We don’t get the role of religion in people’s lives. And I think we can do much, much better. And I think there are things that we can be more creative about to understand the country."
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-26-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I know the NYT isn't a political candidate, but I think that's one disadvantage of a Democratic candidate from a solidly blue area and background or a Republican from a rural red area. They don't see the other side. I am definitely on the left when it comes to these kinds of issues, but due to my background I can see disconnects that some of my friends from other parts of the country don't. I remember when Obama said "bitter small town folks with their guns and religion." I'm pretty aware of those people. I like some of them, but politically they frustrate me. I saw a couple of them at my family Christmas. I have some friends though who see them almost like aliens and have some real hostility.

I think it is absolutely essential in politics to be able to anticipate the reactions things are getting and will get. That goes for people running and those writing about it. You don't have to like it, but you have to be aware.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-28-2016), jpx7 (12-28-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Exactly Coredor. It's like traveling abroad, once you do you quickly realize that there are different ways, different worldviews. We all tend to live in bubbles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-28-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Exactly Coredor. It's like traveling abroad, once you do you quickly realize that there are different ways, different worldviews. We all tend to live in bubbles.
    The goal is to make those bubbles as large and permeable as possible. That doesn't mean adopting, or even necessarily condoning, everything that filters in and out of the bubble; but it does mean being receptive to the fact of otherness.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,743 Posts
    Seems strange since religion is dying out in the western world. I live in Texas and I don't sense any anger from the religious people, but I usually start looking for exits once they start with "Obama is a muslim".
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-28-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    " Seems strange since religion is dying out in the western world "

Why can't people take their religions to the privacy of their homes and tax exempt sanctuaries and leave the rest of us alone ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-29-2016 at 06:24 AM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,974 Posts
    Religion is a big part of it because that composes a very large portion of many people's world view, but I suggest everyone read Bill Bishop's The Big Sort. The book is about a decade old now, but it saw a lot of the division of the country coming. One of the best books on demography I have ever read. It gets kicked around in some quarters, but I think his analysis is right on the mark.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077FAYES...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-29-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Religion is a big part of it because that composes a very large portion of many people's world view, but I suggest everyone read Bill Bishop's The Big Sort. The book is about a decade old now, but it saw a lot of the division of the country coming. One of the best books on demography I have ever read. It gets kicked around in some quarters, but I think his analysis is right on the mark.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077FAYES...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    No kidding!!! And what happens when you criticize someone from a particular group at the national level? Their minions and "self appointed protectors" move to quell dissent and defend people from "their group"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    What good is a religion that supports the politics of denying people everyday basic health care ?
    That is why in the US Christianity is a dying religion

Data supports.
    Unless you are a Federalist believer where Christianity is constantly the victim
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    57, you are annoying.