Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The point is that it's not hard to see where several of the rumors this winter have come from.

You only get the chance to add some players every-so-often. When potential long-term considerations become "available", it isn't that big a stretch to draw the conclusion that the Braves might be "in on them" - particularly when they can be had for pieces we have.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't personally add some of the players we've been mentioned as being in on, but that doesn't necessarily make those people who mentioned acquiring them "idiots". We have arguably the deepest system in the game, so we have the pieces to trade for just about anyone the brass decides to. Now that Ender has been locked up and identified as a "core player", not only is Mallex "excess" - you're not really looking to have someone else as a leadoff hitter. That doesn't mean I'd simply give Mallex or Albies away (by any stretch), but this winter has shown us that the brass intends to have Ender and Swanson hitting in front of Freeman for the long run. With that being the case, aren't you somewhat "wasting" Mallex' and Albies' talents if you're going to slide them down to the bottom of the order?

Adding a guy like Dozier makes sense IF you intend to extend him as another core piece. Why tuck an "extra" leadoff guy away in the #8 or #9-hole if you can add another 30+ HR bat?

Really just playing devil's advocate in most situations, but it's not ridiculous for people to tie us to other "win now" pieces when we just added three arms to the rotation and the new park's opening.
    To answer most of your post.

1. As i recall more than one member of the organization considers Ozzie the future at leadoff. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I recall reading something. I like Ender in the 2 hole or 6 hole.

2. Mallex is excess, but Mallex has little value. The smart thing to do is trade Markakis and let Mallex play and hopefully he'll be successful and someone will trade for him then. Right now his value is pretty low.

3. Dozier is a quality player. I'm not going to put him down. But I don't think he's the missing piece. I'm fine with sniffing around guys for value, Dozier would have costed us a haul. Probably ALbies, Allard and Toussant at least.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-01-2017)