Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pitching Side of the Rebuild

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    That's right. Trade the bastards. Let somebody else wait on them.
    The key phrase (which I guess you ignored) was that from JUNE moving forward. There will be major changes across the board between now and then just on natural attrition and the wrap up of moves that the front office have already set in motion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It will be interesting to see whether we make a move for a starting pitcher at the deadline. I think it will largely turn on how our prospects at the upper levels are doing. Folty, Wisler, Blair, Newcomb. Maybe Fried and Weigel. If they have a strong first half as a group, the FO might be comfortable sticking with internal options.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The key phrase (which I guess you ignored) was that from JUNE moving forward. There will be major changes across the board between now and then just on natural attrition and the wrap up of moves that the front office have already set in motion.
    No, I tacitly agree. At this point, I think it's almost a certainty that we're done for this offseason. If you weren't going to fill 3B and C, there's no point in spending 4 prospects on SP1. As always, go big or go home.

If, for instance, we signed Wieters (probably WA), we'd really need to go ahead and do whatever it takes to get Frazier/Quintana or Archer/Longoria. All that is probably by the boards now.

It's probably healthiest, I acknowledge, to wait one more year for any big hole-plugging - both in terms of letting our guys develop and because this board's favorite catcher (mine, too) will be available next winter.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It will be interesting to see whether we make a move for a starting pitcher at the deadline. I think it will largely turn on how our prospects at the upper levels are doing. Folty, Wisler, Blair, Newcomb. Maybe Fried and Weigel. If they have a strong first half as a group, the FO might be comfortable sticking with internal options.
    Yeah, I don't think they'll come up snake eyes with this next wave. In fact, I grew increasingly excited about Fried last year, then when he dominated in the playoffs, I gotta think midseason this year is a possibility. Newcomb, too.

That would actually be the rebuild as they designed it. Pitching coming from inside.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    put me in the Fried band wagon. I believe he is going to be special. Missing almost 2 years has benefits and drawbacks, but the last half of last season in the minors he showed us a dominant pitcher to be reckoned with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    put me in the Fried band wagon. I believe he is going to be special. Missing almost 2 years has benefits and drawbacks, but the last half of last season in the minors he showed us a dominant pitcher to be reckoned with.
    AA will be the big test for him once he gets there. He'll be 23 this upcoming season. At that age, a top pitching prospect should be able to handle AA without a problem. Now I realize that every pitcher is different in terms of development path and that Fried's path has been disrupted by the TJ surgery. But a top guy drafted out of high school typically goes through AA at age 21. So I don't think it is too ambitious a goal to say that Fried should be able to have success in AA this upcoming season (and I realize the club might be cautious and start him in High A).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Do you not write off the age comparisons a good bit when a prospect misses as much time as he does or is the expectation that the lost time shouldn't matter on development as much?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Do you not write off the age comparisons a good bit when a prospect misses as much time as he does or is the expectation that the lost time shouldn't matter on development as much?
    That's why I lined up what I expect from him in his age 23 season with what I would expect from a top prospect drafted out of HS in his age 21 season.

If guys like Allard, Soroka and Anderson don't make it through AA by their age 21 seasons, something has gone wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I was about to say that. What the devil does it matter that he's 23 if he missed two years? He's moved about as expected I think when healthy.