Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 TOP 30 PROSPECTS: UPDATE IN PROGRESS

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I'd have Bryse Wilson in my top 25. Bryse doesn't get talked about a lot with Anderson, Wentz, and Muller but he should follow right along with them.
    Agreed, I think Wilson has to at least be an honorable mention.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-08-2017), rico43 (01-04-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Wilson's numbers last year were really good and I'm hopeful for him. My only hesitation is that it seemed like most draft experts had him pegged an undoubtedly a reliever when the pick was made, I think because the changeup wasn't good and his breaking ball was barely average. But he threw hard and threw strikes. I want to see what he can do in full-season ball before I get overly excited about him, but no question there are already reasons for optimism.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Wilson's numbers last year were really good and I'm hopeful for him. My only hesitation is that it seemed like most draft experts had him pegged an undoubtedly a reliever when the pick was made, I think because the changeup wasn't good and his breaking ball was barely average. But he threw hard and threw strikes. I want to see what he can do in full-season ball before I get overly excited about him, but no question there are already reasons for optimism.
    He was a 2 sport guy in high school, and completely overpowered hitters in high school with his fastball. He's probably never spent much time working on his secondary pitches. If he can sharpen his slider and develop a better changeup he could be a starter. If not, then yes he has a good floor as a reliever with the movement and location he has on his fastball. I like these kind of guys as they'll hold value as they ascend regardless.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I love good ole' American born Ronald Acuņa.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I love good ole' American born Ronald Acuņa.
    The Venezuelan flag looks just like the US flag, except instead of stars, they have asterisks. You have to look closely...

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Question for the congregation: Does Didder rate top 30 inclusion? We have a bunch of OF already, and his one full season is kind of a mixed bag, to me. Please give me some info to work with since I haven't seen him.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Question for the congregation: Does Didder rate top 30 inclusion? We have a bunch of OF already, and his one full season is kind of a mixed bag, to me. Please give me some info to work with since I haven't seen him.
    I had him at 26 before Gohara
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 01-16-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Honorable mention. Deester has seen him play and can give you the lowdown. Everything I've read raves about his defense and his arm being top shelf. Looks to be a guy with some very interesting tools, but that can be a tease.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

rico43 (01-17-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think he's in that bottom range of 27-30 depending on how many cacthers are in your top 30.

His profile now is probably that of a 4th OF, because of the plus defense in CF and arm for RF, but that was also the profile of Ender at one time. I'd love to see him progress and become a 4th OF for us. Guys who can do a little but of everything like that are valuable pieces to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The more I look at the Yanks' farm system and compare it with ours, I don't see how we aren't number one. I get it, and the Yankees have some top-shelf guys to pick from, but my God -- our depth is incredible.

I don't think any other team could trade what we'd need to trade for a Quintana type guy and still be a top 10 system.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Honorable mention. Deester has seen him play and can give you the lowdown. Everything I've read raves about his defense and his arm being top shelf. Looks to be a guy with some very interesting tools, but that can be a tease.
    Thanks 50. I like Didder having seen him in the GCL as well. His profile to me hasn't really changed that much. I do think he's a 4th OF and some nights better in the future. He's a previous SS so he still has some quick twitch to him and probably should slot in around the 30 area in our system. That being said, if he were in another organization, he'd be around 15-20 IMHO. It's uncanny that he gets hit so much because his set up is in the back half of the batters box about 3/4 adjacent to Home Plate. In every game I saw him though, he fouled pitches off like forever at the plate and made solid contact. In the field is where I really like him. Before the influx of talent, he was one of IF NOT the best OF defensively. And I think he's only worked at it for two years (three now), but that speaks to his athleticism more than anything else.

He gets overlooked because of all the talent we've brought in, but he's not lost on scouts. He was also amongst the fan favorites in Rome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Thanks 50. I like Didder having seen him in the GCL as well. His profile to me hasn't really changed that much. I do think he's a 4th OF and some nights better in the future. He's a previous SS so he still has some quick twitch to him and probably should slot in around the 30 area in our system. That being said, if he were in another organization, he'd be around 15-20 IMHO. It's uncanny that he gets hit so much because his set up is in the back half of the batters box about 3/4 adjacent to Home Plate. In every game I saw him though, he fouled pitches off like forever at the plate and made solid contact. In the field is where I really like him. Before the influx of talent, he was one of IF NOT the best OF defensively. And I think he's only worked at it for two years (three now), but that speaks to his athleticism more than anything else.

He gets overlooked because of all the talent we've brought in, but he's not lost on scouts. He was also amongst the fan favorites in Rome.
    among our fourth outfielder types how would you compare him to Lien or Mallex. Or Todd Cunningham or Lipka.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    among our fourth outfielder types how would you compare him to Lien or Mallex. Or Todd Cunningham.
    I like him better than all those except maybe Lien. Not because he's still in our system, but I like his instincts better than all those except Lien. Mallex is faster yes (seems a more forced OF'er to me. Routes, instincts need work), Lien (I thought of Marlon Byrd initially. His OF work is proven. He's very good there, but he's got Frenchy in him at the plate...for better or worse), and Cunningham to me doesn't approach Lien or Didder although he was good. Matter of taste nsacpi, but Lien is his best defensive competition. Also, Didder projects to hit around .260 or so and it shouldn't be an empty BA. His OBP should be fine.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    To think we still have at least one more highyl positioned draft next year....my goodness, if we hit on a few more high end talents...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I like him better than all those except maybe Lien. Not because he's still in our system, but I like his instincts better than all those except Lien. Mallex is faster yes (seems a more forced OF'er to me. Routes, instincts need work), Lien (I thought of Marlon Byrd initially. His OF work is proven. He's very good there, but he's got Frenchy in him at the plate...for better or worse), and Cunningham to me doesn't approach Lien or Didder although he was good. Matter of taste nsacpi, but Lien is his best defensive competition. Also, Didder projects to hit around .260 or so and it shouldn't be an empty BA. His OBP should be fine.
    thanks...the OBP part might be the thing that allows him to have a major league career

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Do you think Lien could be the answer to RHed 4th OFer the Braves need to compliment Ender and Markakis? How well does he handle LHed pitching?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Do you think Lien could be the answer to RHed 4th OFer the Braves need to compliment Ender and Markakis? How well does he handle LHed pitching?
    That's really a great question. I think defensively, he's been good enough or will be good enough to succeed right now. I really like his outfield play. HOWEVER, he's been all tools and potential to me and mixed with decent stretches of play, there is still a longer stretch of "yuck" in him. Offensively, Against LH'ers, he's flat out serviceable to above average. (I've only seen him 4-5 times though). I think his minor league averages are pretty good vs them. However, NEVER ask him to hit RH's. I didn't see him have a good swing against them at all.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (01-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    That's really a great question. I think defensively, he's been good enough or will be good enough to succeed right now. I really like his outfield play. HOWEVER, he's been all tools and potential to me and mixed with decent stretches of play, there is still a longer stretch of "yuck" in him. Offensively, Against LH'ers, he's flat out serviceable to above average. (I've only seen him 4-5 times though). I think his minor league averages are pretty good vs them. However, NEVER ask him to hit RH's. I didn't see him have a good swing against them at all.
    Isn't Lein on the 40 man now? Do you play him in the minors and see if he puts it all together or do you put in in the majors as 4th of who only starts vs lefties?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The more I look at the Yanks' farm system and compare it with ours, I don't see how we aren't number one. I get it, and the Yankees have some top-shelf guys to pick from, but my God -- our depth is incredible.

I don't think any other team could trade what we'd need to trade for a Quintana type guy and still be a top 10 system.
    You can make a case that their top 6 is better than our top 6, but even that is close:
    Dansby > Frazier
    Albies = Torres, and Albies may be slightly higher
    Mateo > Acuna right now, but it's pretty close
    Judge > Allard
    Rutherford = Soroka
    Sheffield = Anderson

And our depth blows them away after that.