Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: COUNTDOWN COMPLETED: Atlanta's Top 50 Prospects Listed

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm not talking about him busting. I'm saying that I don't think he was ever considered the top prospect in baseball, so naturally the guys we've had that were #1 would have to go ahead of him.
    I mean it's hard to really look at things now to how they were in the early 80's. But Komminsk did make the cover of Baseball America in 81 and billed as a 'potential triple crown winner' and in 83 on a best tool issue. I'd say he was in the conversation of best prospect in those days for those who had those conversations.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Bethancourt, Capellan, and Moss should not be anywhere close to this list. Capellan and Moss never approached any top prospect list. They never were considered amazing prospects in any way whatsoever. Bethancourt reached a top 100 prospect list once, but never did much as a prospect to warrant his hype. Meyer, Davies, and Reyes should replace them, IMO. Maybe even Locke or Morton.

I'd also have Peraza significantly lower. Certainly not above guys like Klesko, Teheran, and Hanson who were consensus top 10 overall prospects in baseball.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-21-2018), jpx7 (03-21-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Bethancourt, Capellan, and Moss should not be anywhere close to this list. Capellan and Moss never approached any top prospect list. They never were considered amazing prospects in any way whatsoever. Bethancourt reached a top 100 prospect list once, but never did much as a prospect to warrant his hype. Meyer, Davies, and Reyes should replace them, IMO. Maybe even Locke or Morton.

I'd also have Peraza significantly lower. Certainly not above guys like Klesko, Teheran, and Hanson who were consensus top 10 overall prospects in baseball.
    Capellan actually peaked at #25 overall in 2005.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Capellan actually peaked at #25 overall in 2005.
    Hmmm.. I don't remember that. Thanks for the clarification.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Hmmm.. I don't remember that. Thanks for the clarification.
    Still, I think there was still a Braves pitcher bias (because Atlanta produces pitchers) and Capellan had a really good 2004 so he had a lot of helium going into 05. I'm no pro scout but to me it was obvious he would get hit once I saw his straight as an arrow fastball.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-22-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    I see that the Mauricio Cabrera travesty was scrubbed. Kudos for that correction

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I see he's in the Milwaukee organization now.

For the record, Capellan shot up the charts in 2004 working his way to end the season in Atlanta after stops in Myrtle Beach, Greenville, and Richmond. He was overpowering in each of his minor league stints and was the #25 overall prospect in BA's pre-2005 rankings. The hype was never realized, but Capellan was the conductor on the hype train all of 2004.

PS--I didn't realize that Capellan is no longer on terra firma, having passed away in 2015.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 03-21-2018 at 09:24 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-22-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    PS--I didn't realize that Capellan is no longer on terra firma, having passed away in 2015.
    RIP. He and Andy Marte are on my all-time all-miss team, and both died tragically recently.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    RIP. He and Andy Marte are on my all-time all-miss team, and both died tragically recently.
    Afraid Davidson is rapidly gaining on joining that team - this year is likely his make-it-or-break-it season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Man, we've had three topnprospects die in recent years.