Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: COUNTDOWN COMPLETED: Atlanta's Top 50 Prospects Listed

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    It's done. I already know where a couple of changes need to come, but I can't believe Horner's bio got no comments. I have invested too much time in this not to get it right.
    I honestly didn't even see it before it got moved.

So are you accepting the lists of others to further mold yours?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I'm a long time lurker and only recently began posting but I enjoyed the heck out of the past month watching these prospects get detailed every day or so. Definitely an excellent list and while most everyone would rank them in tiny different orders, the amount of time and effort you put into this list is amazing. Thank you so much!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (02-24-2017), The Chosen One (02-24-2017)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    It's done. I already know where a couple of changes need to come, but I can't believe Horner's bio got no comments. I have invested too much time in this not to get it right.
    Remember Rico a lot of people here are not old enough to know who and how big a deal Bob Horner was. there are only a handful of players that have started their career IN the Majors, never having played a game in the minors.
    Last edited by depley; 02-23-2017 at 05:09 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to depley For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-23-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Awesome work with this! Thanks rico!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (02-24-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I honestly didn't even see it before it got moved.

So are you accepting the lists of others to further mold yours?
    When it was done, I linked every bio to the master list on this thread. Specific recommendations, omissions, etc., would be more helpful than an opposing list.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    When it was done, I linked every bio to the master list on this thread. Specific recommendations, omissions, etc., would be more helpful than an opposing list.
    The primary differences I have are:

1) Heyward has to be top 4 at the absolute least, and should probably be top 2 with Andruw.
    2) I think Andruw is far and away #1
    3) I think Teheran, Chen, and Hanson (especially the first 2) are way too low. I don't see any way they are below Craig Kimbrel, for example.
    4) Francoeur is much too high.
    5) I think Simmons is a good bit too high as well.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    People I feel like were noticeable omissions include Kevin Milwood, Adam LaRoche, Joey Devine and since Thorman is on the list I'd also have to say Mike Hessman. In addition Marte and Betemit are both top 10 prospects. Lopez and McCann also need to swap spots on the list.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

rico43 (02-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    THought you guys told me that the discussion would follow once all the players were listed. Instead, seems like you've already moved on. Thanks to those who did give me something to work with.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-28-2017), jpx7 (03-21-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    THought you guys told me that the discussion would follow once all the players were listed. Instead, seems like you've already moved on. Thanks to those who did give me something to work with.
    We have attention spans of fleas. You have to understand that. I do think you should have popped the list out on Sunday prior to spring start. Gives us more to talk about for that long ass week.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    From my POV, it appears your list was somewhat a mixture of internal hype (Braves franchise, fan awareness, etc.), external hype (ratings by external organizations and individuals such as BA, Callis, etc.), trade value if traded, star factor, combustibility, bust factor and fan euphoria or ultimate depression. In other words it looks very subjective, informed by various inputs of differing weights spiced by certain amounts of hype. Which is ok, since it IS your list.

Overall, I don't have a lot of huge issues.

I think I would have had Horner MUCH lower simply because he was never much of a professional prospect since he went from college player to MLB rookie. I would have had Bethancourt MUCH higher, even though he busted, because he was talked about as catcher of the future essentially from the day he signed.

Overall a solid list and an outstanding effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

I think I would have had Horner MUCH lower simply because he was never much of a professional prospect since he went from college player to MLB rookie.

Overall a solid list and an outstanding effort.
    Addressing the Horner problem; how can he be a prospect if he were never in the minors? DId the Braves think they were drafting a big leaguer or intended to move him directly to Atlanta? That would be no, as he and agent Scott Boras pushed for it.
    Consider that he was named to the FIRST college baseball Hall of Fame class. I think there were maybe six on that list of the first class. Considering the program he came from, his credentials speak to the fact he was a truly spectacular college player. I have no info as to why he was not drafted out of high school; perhaps he already had Boras on board to screen suitors.

As for my criteria, his was an original Braves recruit, one who generated tremendous acclaim (buzz!) upon his arrival. From my end, it is foolish to say he was too good to be a prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Think Acuna needs to be somewhere really high on this one.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Think Acuna needs to be somewhere really high on this one.
    Top 10 for sure.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Slot him behind mo Cabrera
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Slot him behind mo Cabrera
    Wentz and fried for sure... best pitching prospects in the game

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The top 4 pretty much has to be Andruw, Heyward, Chipper, and Acuna in some order.

I get Horner, but he didn't have time to really build his prospect status. Those were all #1 prospects in the game. And Andruw is still far and away #1 to me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-21-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The top 4 pretty much has to be Andruw, Heyward, Chipper, and Acuna in some order.

I get Horner, but he didn't have time to really build his prospect status. Those were all #1 prospects in the game. And Andruw is still far and away #1 to me.
    Komminsk has to be in the running of top 5 as well. Dude was hyped beyond belief. I agree with Andruw being #1 overall and for me I just don't see anyone approaching that. Acuna clearly has the bat but I don't see him projected to have plus defense like Heyward or Andruw did. I think for anyone to top Andruw on this list you'd need a plus bat with plus defense at short to be considered which of course comes a long once a generation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Komminsk has to be in the running of top 5 as well. Dude was hyped beyond belief. I agree with Andruw being #1 overall and for me I just don't see anyone approaching that. Acuna clearly has the bat but I don't see him projected to have plus defense like Heyward or Andruw did. I think for anyone to top Andruw on this list you'd need a plus bat with plus defense at short to be considered which of course comes a long once a generation.
    Komminsk was hyped, but I find it hard to believe a guy who didn't get out of A-ball until age 21 would have been considered the true top prospect in baseball.

I don't see another Braves prospect ever topping Andruw. You're talking about a kid already showing what would be the greatest OF defense in baseball history, combined with just absolutely insane offensive production. It would basically be if Andrelton Simmons had had Trout's minor league offensive production.

So you're talking more like plus-plus-plus defense combined with plus-plus offense.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Komminsk was hyped, but I find it hard to believe a guy who didn't get out of A-ball until age 21 would have been considered the true top prospect in baseball.

I don't see another Braves prospect ever topping Andruw. You're talking about a kid already showing what would be the greatest OF defense in baseball history, combined with just absolutely insane offensive production. It would basically be if Andrelton Simmons had had Trout's minor league offensive production.

So you're talking more like plus-plus-plus defense combined with plus-plus offense.
    Hype is hype regardless of when/where they bust.

IMO ARod is the only prospect of the Baseball America Top 100 era to be higher than Andruw so that's the type of guy you'd be looking at.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Hype is hype regardless of when/where they bust.

IMO ARod is the only prospect of the Baseball America Top 100 era to be higher than Andruw so that's the type of guy you'd be looking at.
    I'm not talking about him busting. I'm saying that I don't think he was ever considered the top prospect in baseball, so naturally the guys we've had that were #1 would have to go ahead of him.