Thread: Why the obsession with Israel?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Why the obsession with Israel?

Interesting read from a liberal Arab writer. Link

"LONDON—Just before Christmas the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 2334, condemning Israeli settlements in the West Bank. By allowing the motion to pass, President Barack Obama crowned his miserable track record in the Middle East with one last high school debating gesture. This was then embellished by Secretary of State John Kerry’s warning shot delivered to Israel Wednesday.

Israel is not the biggest problem in the Middle East, by a long shot. But you wouldn’t know that from the disproportionate way in which the UN has treated the country. Despite abstaining from the vote, America’s UN Ambassador Samantha Power herself noted that for as long as Israel has been a member of the UN it has been “treated differently” from other nations. And commenting only a week before this latest resolution, even outgoing Secretary General Ban Ki-moon agreed that “decades of political maneuvering have created a disproportionate number of resolutions, reports, and committees against Israel… In many cases, instead of helping the Palestinian issue, this reality has foiled the ability of the UN to fulfill its role effectively.”

You would think that the head of the UN knows when his own organization is displaying an institutional bias. Resolution 465 already existed, rightly condemning settlements. To this day, 47 resolutions concerning the Israel-Palestine conflict have been adopted by the UNSC.

From 2016 alone one need only look at the 18 resolutions against Israel adopted during the UN General Assembly in September, or the 12 resolutions adopted in the Human Rights Council. These were more than those focused on Syria, North Korea, Iran, and South Sudan combined.
    Arabs, Muslims, Islamists, liberals, leftists, and our international organizations share this institutional bias.

Opposing Israel is The One Ring that binds us all. It is the sacred god that must not be questioned. So deep runs this bias against Israeli transgressions, that to call it out is to arouse immediately incredulity and ad hominem abuse.

So entrenched is it, that few noticed how on the very morning of Resolution 2334 a motion seeking to stem the flow of weapons going to what the UN itself fears are genocidal killers in South Sudan failed.

The Security Council could not even bring itself to adopt the simplest of resolutions calling for a seven-day ceasefire to halt the tragedy of Aleppo. Yet when it came to pushing through a final year-end condemnation of Israel, the Security Council suddenly mustered the will to act.

...There is nothing unique about the Israel conflict deserving such disproportionate attention. Baluchistan, Kurdistan, Cyprus, Kashmir, and Taiwan are but a few other disputed territories not fetishized like Palestine is at the UN and in our media. All of these disputes involve deep religious, historic, and political meaning for their respective parties.

Only the overwhelming narcissism of our Abrahamic faiths - including those among us who define themselves against them—would deem the religious and historic significance of the “Holy Lands” to mean anything more than other lost holy lands for Buddhists in Tibet, or Sikhs in Khalistan, which was lost to Pakistan a year before Israel’s creation. Only by releasing the “exceptional status” pressure from this conflict, by stripping it of its religious hyperbole, by removing it from the spotlight, by simply placing it on a par with every and any other conflict in the world—tragic but not unique—do we stand a better chance of solving it, because the stakes are lowered and the frothing prophets of doom, with their Armageddon pathology, are taken out of the equation. Let us call this “Israeli unexceptconalism.”

I remain unaware of a single Middle East pundit not tied to Obama’s State department who holds that the outgoing president has done a good job in the Middle East. Obama cut a deal with Iran and conditionally lifted sanctions, while the Iranians, Hezbollah and Russian President Vladimir Putin aided Syrian President Bashar al-Assad as he used crude chemical bombs and massively destructive weapons against his own people. And just as Obama’s inaction allowed others to act in Syria, his inaction at the UN set the tone once again, this time reaffirming the notion that Israel is the region’s biggest problem. That is despicable. It is inexcusable. And I could remain silent no more."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-03-2017), thethe (01-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    People want to talk about institutional racism in this country. The hatred against Jews is a universal sentiment found across almost all races and nationalities. Its only a matter of time before the Jews are targeted again for another extermination.

The UN is such a joke. Israel has given up territory in the past only to see terrorism escalate. They have every right to defend their borders and expand in the only area that they can be relatively safe.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    It really is odd when you step back and evaluate the big picture. Why the emphasis on Israel? In light of other conflicts, in light of the atrocities committed by other countries? Why is the resolution and criticism mill at full speed when it comes to Israel?

How do the critics/haters explain it?

Racism? A specific religionist bigotry? An ignorance of the world?

How do the supporters of Obama/Kerry explain it themselves?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    cause you hate jews if you say anything against anything Israel does cause holocaust

pretty much sums up everything with the country of Israel these days
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    cause you hate jews if you say anything against anything Israel does cause holocaust

If history has taught us anything its that the Jewish people should always be looking over their shoulder for the next extermination attempt.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Serious question - how do you explain it?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I think the issue right now is that if you support Netanyahu and Likud you essentially accept a one state solution. That's how far to the right Israel has lurched over the past half-decade. The UN resolution was literally a last ditch effort by Obama and Kerry to save the two-state idea.

If Trump follows through with his campaign promise to move the embassy to Jerusalem it will utterly negate the UN abstention vote in a very real and profound way.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-03-2017 at 06:26 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Serious question - how do you explain it?
    cause they aren't helping themselves in anyway

quit building settlements. quit appeasing their and americas crazy religious right wing that thinks they should build those settlements

you can't control the actions of others but you can control the actions of yourself.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

quit building settlements. quit appeasing their and americas crazy religious right wing that thinks they should build those settlements

you can't control the actions of others but you can control the actions of yourself.
    If Israel concede's on all fronts....does that ensure they won't have to endure more terrorism? What's the real issue here?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If Israel concede's on all fronts....does that ensure they won't have to endure more terrorism?
    terrorism will never go away for everyone

you say that like Israel doesn't have it's hands dirty in all of this too

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think the issue right now is that if you support Netanyahu and Likud you essentially accept a one state solution. That's how far to the right Israel has lurched over the past half-decade. The UN resolution was literally a last ditch effort by Obama and Kerry to save the two-state idea.

If Trump follows through with his campaign promise to move the embassy to Jerusalem it will utterly negate the UN abstention vote in a very real and profound way.
    The author, an Arab begs to differ with you. Not saying he's right or you are wrong.

But the question is still hanging - why the near constant emphasis on Israel/Palestine in light of atrocities and plenty of other land conflicts. Why this Western obsession with Israel?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

You aren't answering the question. Why such an inordinate amount of attention and why such a uniform UN response to Israel versus other conflicts, versus atrocities, etc.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    My question is not whether settlements are right or wrong (I actually think they are most often wrong).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    terrorism will never go away for everyone

you say that like Israel doesn't have it's hands dirty in all of this too
    Is that the new catch phrase now when talking about terrorism? We should just accept as if it doesn't matter.

The Islamists of that region will never be happy until the state of Israel is wiped off the map. They don't care about gaza/west bank/etc... these are just currently what they are saying is the reason for unrest. It won't matter how much land is given up. Israel is under constant attack from these animals
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Is that the new catch phrase now when talking about terrorism? We should just accept as if it doesn't matter.

The Islamists of that region will never be happy until the state of Israel is wiped off the map. They don't care about gaza/west bank/etc... these are just currently what they are saying is the reason for unrest. It won't matter how much land is given up. Israel is under constant attack from these animals
    new catch phrase? wtf are you talking about

you should accept it can happen. we should do what we can to stop it but if it's a free society, it's a risk. if you can't understand that, then you are lost.

i don't let terrorism or terrorists dictate my life, sad that it seems so many other do

the rest of post is just right wing radio drive time talk and not worth really addressing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    You aren't answering the question. Why such an inordinate amount of attention and why such a uniform UN response to Israel versus other conflicts, versus atrocities, etc.
    what things do you think they aren't handling or showing adequate attention to?

i love that i answered your question but it wasn't the way you wanted it answered so it was deemed "not answered".

Maybe it has gotten this much attention cause instead of actually stopping the settlements and other resolutions they just scoff their nose at the world community and we as their friends always protect them from having to answer to their crimes at the un. i was glad to see us speak honestly for once to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    new catch phrase? wtf are you talking about

you should accept it can happen. we should do what we can to stop it but if it's a free society, it's a risk. if you can't understand that, then you are lost.

i don't let terrorism or terrorists dictate my life, sad that it seems so many other do

the rest of post is just right wing radio drive time talk and not worth really addressing
    So there isn't a loud voice within the Islamic community to wipe Israel off the map?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Pretty much this.

Trump's foreign policy is incredibly scary. Netanyahu is scary.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    So there isn't a loud voice within the Islamic community to wipe Israel off the map?

define loud voice for me

cause i am guessing we would disagree what a loud voice means overall

are there some right wing religious wackos that say absurd **** to keep their base happy? sure. none of them will actually do anything other than rhetoric cause it's a good political speech to keep them in favor with the radical right in their countries

oddly enough, kind of reminds me of someone saying absurd **** to a base here in the usa but i digress

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    what things do you think they aren't handling or showing adequate attention to?

i love that i answered your question but it wasn't the way you wanted it answered so it was deemed "not answered".

Maybe it has gotten this much attention cause instead of actually stopping the settlements and other resolutions they just scoff their nose at the world community and we as their friends always protect them from having to answer to their crimes at the un. i was glad to see us speak honestly for once to them.

The article specified some. This isn't a gotcha question. I'm trying to understand. Your answer makes no sense. It answers why there is criticism against Israel. It doesn't answer why the inordinate amount. Read the following again:

"You would think that the head of the UN knows when his own organization is displaying an institutional bias. Resolution 465 already existed, rightly condemning settlements. To this day, 47 resolutions concerning the Israel-Palestine conflict have been adopted by the UNSC.

From 2016 alone one need only look at the 18 resolutions against Israel adopted during the UN General Assembly in September, or the 12 resolutions adopted in the Human Rights Council. These were more than those focused on Syria, North Korea, Iran, and South Sudan combined...."

And this:

"There is nothing unique about the Israel conflict deserving such disproportionate attention. Baluchistan, Kurdistan, Cyprus, Kashmir, and Taiwan are but a few other disputed territories not fetishized like Palestine is at the UN and in our media. All of these disputes involve deep religious, historic, and political meaning for their respective parties."