Thread: ?s about traveling through Atlanta

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

?s about traveling through Atlanta

Taking the family to Disney World next week and we are leaving tomorrow to head that way. Leaving from Illinois, it looks like we will hit Atlanta and the surrounding areas in the later afternoon/early evening tomorrow night. I've been through Atlanta a few times and have never had any issues, however with the impending snow coming tonight/tomorrow I was wondering if you all had any advice on what to expect? Coming from Illinois, I have plenty of experience driving through the snow/snow covered roads but I know people in the South handle it a little differently. We aren't planning on making the entire trip to Orlando in one day (15 hour drive) - should we stop prior to Atlanta tomorrow night and get through the city early Sunday? I've got a 3 year old, a 10 month old, and a mother-in-law with only one kidney who has to pee frequently, so stops will be pretty often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    Taking the family to Disney World next week and we are leaving tomorrow to head that way. Leaving from Illinois, it looks like we will hit Atlanta and the surrounding areas in the later afternoon/early evening tomorrow night. I've been through Atlanta a few times and have never had any issues, however with the impending snow coming tonight/tomorrow I was wondering if you all had any advice on what to expect? Coming from Illinois, I have plenty of experience driving through the snow/snow covered roads but I know people in the South handle it a little differently. We aren't planning on making the entire trip to Orlando in one day (15 hour drive) - should we stop prior to Atlanta tomorrow night and get through the city early Sunday? I've got a 3 year old, a 10 month old, and a mother-in-law with only one kidney who has to pee frequently, so stops will be pretty often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    People in the South aren't used to driving in those conditions. And the state rarely prepares for salting roads and what not. So expect it to be complete chaos. Atlanta has lots of slopey terrain as well. If its even half as bad as the last time it happened (when Chipper rescued Freddie) then you're going to have be a really an offensive defensive driver.
    Forever Fredi

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    We won't be in the area until late tomorrow afternoon/early evening and the forecast is showing the snow will be finished by around 6 or so tomorrow morning. Hopefully that's plenty of time to have the main roads cleared.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    We won't be in the area until late tomorrow afternoon/early evening and the forecast is showing the snow will be finished by around 6 or so tomorrow morning. Hopefully that's plenty of time to have the main roads cleared.
    It certainly is not. You have to understand, it's completely different than Illinois. They don't have the same equipment or expertise. The last time there was a snowstorm in Atlanta, my buddy was stuck on the interstate for 20 hours.

All I can say is good luck.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Maybe they've learned their lesson since last time. We will monitor the roads and may choose to stop sooner than Atlanta tomorrow and take it on Sunday morning. Would traffic through that area be lighter then? Appreciate the input.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    depends on how many people try to go out driving in the snow and if there is ice

if no ice and people stay home, you will be fine

if not, good luck and you will get there monday or tuesday
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Can anyone give me an update on how the roads are looking, specifically Interstate 75?

Does anyone have a link for a site they use often? Maybe a radio station?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I would avoid atlanta at all costs. It's going to be a nightmare. Friend of mine was in standstill traffic yesterday for almost 2 hrs before it broke up.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Go through Birmingham instead and head south to Columbus ?
    Ivermectin Man

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Go through Birmingham instead and head south to Columbus ?
    That's our other option. We've booked rooms in both Macon and Auburn. Birmingham route takes about 90 minutes longer to get to Orlando, but it beats dealing with the standstill traffic in and around Atlanta

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    From what I've read online, it looks like the roads aren't terrible through Atlanta. Anyone have an update personally?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    No clue man I'm 3 hrs south
    Ivermectin Man

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    how did this work out?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-17-2017), The Chosen One (01-17-2017)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    how did this work out?
    We made it through Atlanta with no issues on the 7th. There were some slick spots but there was barely any traffic. I appreciate all the input

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We made it through Atlanta with no issues on the 7th. There were some slick spots but there was barely any traffic. I appreciate all the input
    Consider it your Christmas miracle.

I've been in heavy traffic at 9 am 11am 2pm and 5pm on a Sunday. Its just part of the program up there. There is almost no time you can count on flying straight through.
    Ivermectin Man