Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Robert Leaves Cuba

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Would be surprised if we went after him honestly, with the 100 percent penalty we'd have to pay.
    Different fiscal year for Liberty. They just announced losses for the Braves and blamed it mostly on stadium costs and pursuit of international FA talent such as Maitan and Gutierrez.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is unfortunate. Spending whatever it took to get Robert would have been infinitely more valuable to the organization than giving contracts to guys like Dickey and Colon.

Yet another series of moves by Coppy that show me he is a mediocre GM at best. Rather than signing the best international prospect not named Otani, the Braves spent over $20M on a couple of geriatric pitchers on a team that will be lucky to sniff a .500 record.

Very poor allocation of assets.
    I can't believe I'm doing this since I have long been an advocate of re-building without 2017 or the new park in consideration. BUT, I expect the whole Dickey/Colon talent grab has everything to do with illusion building driven by necessity coming from the new stadium and not from any real desire flowing from Coppy to go sign those guys (gotta have 'em).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I can't believe I'm doing this since I have long been an advocate of re-building without 2017 or the new park in consideration. BUT, I expect the whole Dickey/Colon talent grab has everything to do with illusion building driven by necessity coming from the new stadium and not from any real desire flowing from Coppy to go sign those guys (gotta have 'em).
    I feel like Coppy in his typical weaselly Coppy way has suggested that he was basically forced into trying to field a competitive team and that he did not have unlimited cash resources to buy free agents or prospects.

We ain't going to know for sure.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I feel like Coppy in his typical weaselly Coppy way has suggested that he was basically forced into trying to field a competitive team and that he did not have unlimited cash resources to buy free agents or prospects.

We ain't going to know for sure.
    It sounds pretty reasonable that he would have been pressured to be not the worst team in baseball

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So you don't think the Braves operate on a budget? Or giving those 2 pitchers $20M instead of signing Robert was a better use of that budget? Or do the Braves just not think Robert is a good prospect? Or some combination of all 3?
    I think the Braves have to fill out a major league roster, especially this year with a new stadium, with something more than utter crap. And I think they almost certainly have a payroll floor. We had to spend the money on something, and those guys give you potentially decent results, name recognition, some entertainment value, and no risk with the potential to flip them at the deadline. Pretty much the perfect signings in our situation.

I can promise you we're not choosing Colon/Dickey over a super talented 19-year-old if those are the two options. Everything Coppy has done should tell you he values the young talent and is willing to pay to get it.

And sure, it's also possible we don't totally buy into the talent and the risk associated with it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think the Braves have to fill out a major league roster, especially this year with a new stadium, with something more than utter crap. And I think they almost certainly have a payroll floor. We had to spend the money on something, and those guys give you potentially decent results, name recognition, some entertainment value, and no risk with the potential to flip them at the deadline. Pretty much the perfect signings in our situation.

I can promise you we're not choosing Colon/Dickey over a super talented 19-year-old if those are the two options. Everything Coppy has done should tell you he values the young talent and is willing to pay to get it.

And sure, it's also possible we don't totally buy into the talent and the risk associated with it.
    Ahh yes, the team that has routinely taken on risky pitchering prospects, most of whom come with the additional risk of significant injury and/or well established control issues, is suddenly not willing to take the risk that comes with the best international prospect currently available.

You're probably right though, the additions of Colon and Dickey were done in an attempt to add "names" to the roster to cater to the naive fans. It's just too bad they decided to spend the cash on 40 year old players who will help during a losing season instead of a 19 year old player that could impact a minimum of 6 competitive seasons.

Seems like a good allocation of resources to me! Braves way baby!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    It sounds pretty reasonable that he would have been pressured to be not the worst team in baseball
    And how did that work out? Well...I guess they weren't technically the worst team in the game. So...congrats?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,894 Posts
    Braves already signed the best international prospect since Sano. What more do you want from them?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves already signed the best international prospect since Sano. What more do you want from them?
    To sign this guy too. Dickey could be replaced By one of wisler/Blair/Newcombe/wiegel/collementer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,894 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    To sign this guy too. Dickey could be replaced By one of wisler/Blair/Newcombe/wiegel/collementer
    What if the expectation was always he wouldn't be available this j2 period?

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    And how did that work out? Well...I guess they weren't technically the worst team in the game. So...congrats?
    I was half sarcastic with that, but I meant this year. Should be pretty safe to project us as mediocre/bad but not atrocious.

Would I rather have Robert than Dickey? Yeah. Are the Braves willing to spend more money than the Padres for him? I dunno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Ahh yes, the team that has routinely taken on risky pitchering prospects, most of whom come with the additional risk of significant injury and/or well established control issues, is suddenly not willing to take the risk that comes with the best international prospect currently available.

You're probably right though, the additions of Colon and Dickey were done in an attempt to add "names" to the roster to cater to the naive fans. It's just too bad they decided to spend the cash on 40 year old players who will help during a losing season instead of a 19 year old player that could impact a minimum of 6 competitive seasons.

To hoard assets based on the availability of a guy a year from the J2 deadline if\when he lands on US soil and gets cleared by MLB in time seems like waiting on 00 to hit in roulette (and that's assuming we'd like him enough at the price he will command). If he didn't get get here fast enough Coppy would be damned for holding money back and not using it if he doesn't get cleared. It would be a total waste. Would it be awesome if we got him? Of course... we need bats like that. Also- there is nothing indicating we can't sign him anyway. The Braves may send guys to his showcase and go bonkers. Who knows?

We had to sign some starters. We did. At pretty much market value... I don't think the IFA budget necessarily coincides with the MLB roster budget? I would think funds are earmarked for certain things and stay fairly independent of each other. I'd always assumed this was the case under the total budget, but I don't have any confirmation on it one way or the other.
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (03-02-2017), zedsdead (03-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,894 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    To hoard assets based on the availability of a guy a year from the J2 deadline if\when he lands on US soil and gets cleared by MLB in time seems like waiting on 00 to hit in roulette (and that's assuming we'd like him enough at the price he will command). If he didn't get get here fast enough Coppy would be damned for holding money back and not using it if he doesn't get cleared. It would be a total waste. Would it be awesome if we got him? Of course... we need bats like that. Also- there is nothing indicating we can't sign him anyway. The Braves may send guys to his showcase and go bonkers. Who knows?

We had to sign some starters. We did. At pretty much market value... I don't think the IFA budget necessarily coincides with the MLB roster budget? I would think funds are earmarked for certain things and stay fairly independent of each other. I'd always assumed this was the case under the total budget, but I don't have any confirmation on it one way or the other.
    Coppy sucks. He can't predict the future.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I don't think you can really fault Coppy, we needed a couple arms and that's what he got, the Braves aren't a team that's going to outspend everyone, I'm guessing they have an INTL budget and they've already hit that. I'm sure Coppy would love to keep spending money on the international guys as they pop up; I'm bet he doesn't have that luxury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Your bias is showing.

We added risk because it allowed us to get better talent/higher ceiling guys for less. You can debate whether we should have gotten safer guys with lower ceilings, but I like the approach we took.

It's called scouting. We decided to jump in on some pitchers with issues because of what we believed they were capable of down the line, and we may have decided not to take a multi-million-dollar chance on this kid because of what we believe he is capable of down the line. That is not contradictory.

My point was that Colon and Dickey were two guys we chose to spend our payroll on partially because of their names. It was clearly not that spending on them kept us from spending on a kid on the international market. I believe we spent what Liberty allowed us to spend on the international market, and I believe they gave us a new payroll floor and told us to solve the revenue gap. Choosing to spend less on the current team, putting out a worse product, for the purpose of spending on Robert, was likely not an option.

You can be angry about ownership, that's fine. But it's something we can't change. Again, Coppy has shown again and again that he values young talent with high upside, and he's willing to literally just pay money to get it. He is a smart guy who wants to build for the long haul. You are also a smart guy who wants to build for the long haul. The fact that you continue to just make assumptions and use every little assumption on every little transaction to try to prove that he is below average is hilarious.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    I still don't get why anyone is equating Dickey/Colon =not signing this guy. That is not the reason. 2017 budget is set colon and dickey are apart of that. I have no idea how much they have allocated for off budget signing. There will be 20 or so teams that will have a reason why they didn't sign him.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Again, Liberty has reported the losses which means any current signing will be reported as part of next years losses, if there are any.

The report from the AJC says that the losses stem from stadium costs & international signings (with penalties).

My guess is that the Braves won't sign this kid. But, they could be players if they want. It might mean that they are more limited during the 2017-2018 offseason. But, they could do it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Again, Liberty has reported the losses which means any current signing will be reported as part of next years losses, if there are any.

The report from the AJC says that the losses stem from stadium costs & international signings (with penalties).

My guess is that the Braves won't sign this kid. But, they could be players if they want. It might mean that they are more limited during the 2017-2018 offseason. But, they could do it.
    I was thinking about budgeting and stuff... I wonder if the Braves would roll some of 2018 J2 budget to 2017 since they would still be in penalty. Thought behind this is you have 10 million roughly to spend over the next 2 years but can only sign someone for 300K. So say you hold 1.2 for 2017 J2 and 1.2 for 2018 J2.. that is 2.4 million of the 10 you can spend. That leaves you ~7 million you could use up until the June 15th deadline. You would be fudging the books a bit, but in real dollars, it could work..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    This is the best chance we have to add a possible young stud bat to the system anytime soon. Bc we aren't gonna trade anybody that will bring one back and we will probably be picking middle of the pack next year in the draft. The international rules are changing after July this year so who knows how that will shake out. The Padres aren't ready to compete anytime soon so that should give us more motivation than them to sign this guy being that we will be competing as of next year imo and won't have the chance to draft an impact bat anytime soon. Imo this is a signing we need to make to really cap off the rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    This is the best chance we have to add a possible young stud bat to the system anytime soon. Bc we aren't gonna trade anybody that will bring one back and we will probably be picking middle of the pack next year in the draft. The international rules are changing after July this year so who knows how that will shake out. The Padres aren't ready to compete anytime soon so that should give us more motivation than them to sign this guy being that we will be competing as of next year imo and won't have the chance to draft an impact bat anytime soon. Imo this is a signing we need to make to really cap off the rebuild.
    The White Sox are apparently the leaders right now.