Thread: Luis Robert Leaves Cuba

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Luis Robert Leaves Cuba

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...ovS06KQ86FA.97

Would be another great add for the Braves.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (01-09-2017), JohnAdcox (01-09-2017), UNCBlue012 (03-02-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    yes please. reminds me of the Lazzaro hoopla last year however.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We should definitely be in on him, but I would assume we're probably a tad wary of the Cuban market, and he's probably going to sign for quite a bit if he gets cleared in time. I think he's a significantly better prospect than Armenteros, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    He should be pushing hard to sign before the June deadline given the new rules from the CBA kick in starting in July. If we could add him that would be pretty big for the farm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Would be surprised if we went after him honestly, with the 100 percent penalty we'd have to pay.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    He should be pushing hard to sign before the June deadline given the new rules from the CBA kick in starting in July. If we could add him that would be pretty big for the farm.
    A team could still offer him $5M+ next signing period if they want him, so waiting isn't going to affect him much. Any team that signs him this period will pay the 100% penalty so the overall cost will be doubled.

Is he worth $8M+ to the Braves?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    With how we've bought a prospect before like Touki I wouldn't be surprised to see us go over and pay a penalty. Especially with us probably gonna get a later draft pick next year with a better record.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-01-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A team could still offer him $5M+ next signing period if they want him, so waiting isn't going to affect him much. Any team that signs him this period will pay the 100% penalty so the overall cost will be doubled.

Is he worth $8M+ to the Braves?
    I'm not saying the answer is necessarily yes, but it wouldn't shock me. We were in on Lazarito before we inadvertently shot ourselves in the foot by running it through the agent he parted ways with instead of his parents, and I'd imagine at that juncture the price tag was at least similar. The FO has said in the past that they really want to blow it out of the water this IFA period and that we'd make signings throughout the period. Wouldn't it make more sense to pay the price to get another impact youngster in the system than it would to sign a guy like Wieters? Everyone seems to agree the Braves have money left to spend and are just waiting for the right opportunity to do so. Adding to our stable of impact up the middle prospects would seem like such an opportunity.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-09-2017), Hudson2 (01-09-2017), JohnAdcox (01-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I agree 100% with the notion of preferring Robert to some FA that represents a marginal upgrade to the MLB team like Wieters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I think he's worth the risk. Would be a nice addition and puts an immediate top prospect position player into the system. I would hope Olivera wouldn't make them skittish here... completely different situation and the Braves wouldn't have as much competition to sign him if he can sign before the deadline. I would personally like to see us take a shot with him and the Korean 3rd baseman.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm not sure if he's worth it or not, but it does seem like the kind of risk we'd be glad to take. He fits the profile.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Baseball America profile on him: http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...QxfVfP7XGz1.97

The most meaningful paragraph for us: "Before then, teams are still free to spend past their bonus pools. Most of the teams with the best chance to sign Robert are the ones that have already exceeded their pools. The Padres and Cardinals are drawing the most attention. The Astros could be in the mix. The Braves, Reds, Nationals and Athletics are also over their bonus pools."

Doesn't really sound like we're in the mix all that much if the only mention is that we're over our bonus pool.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think he's worth the risk. Would be a nice addition and puts an immediate top prospect position player into the system. I would hope Olivera wouldn't make them skittish here... completely different situation and the Braves wouldn't have as much competition to sign him if he can sign before the deadline. I would personally like to see us take a shot with him and the Korean 3rd baseman.
    I have no idea whether the Braves have any spending limits in sight, but this would certainly be a nice addition. I have a feeling the Braves have exhausted their funds though, which would be a reason to potentially criticize the old pitcher signings. Attempting relevance there might have the opportunity cost of acquiring someone like this. Of course the Padres might just be in better position to overpay regardless.

I don't know that he and Oliveira have much in common though so that shouldn't really affect their decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I have no idea whether the Braves have any spending limits in sight, but this would certainly be a nice addition. I have a feeling the Braves have exhausted their funds though, which would be a reason to potentially criticize the old pitcher signings. Attempting relevance there might have the opportunity cost of acquiring someone like this. Of course the Padres might just be in better position to overpay regardless.

I don't know that he and Oliveira have much in common though so that shouldn't really affect their decision.
    They have almost nothing in common, but it may make them shy away from Cubans

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I see no way the Braves land him. If he is cleared before June 15th, then the bidding on him will keep the Braves away.. especially with the report about the Braves being in the hole 20+ million in 2016. And if he post after June 15th, then obviously he won't sign for 300K..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I see no way the Braves land him. If he is cleared before June 15th, then the bidding on him will keep the Braves away.. especially with the report about the Braves being in the hole 20+ million in 2016. And if he post after June 15th, then obviously he won't sign for 300K..
    This is unfortunate. Spending whatever it took to get Robert would have been infinitely more valuable to the organization than giving contracts to guys like Dickey and Colon.

Yet another series of moves by Coppy that show me he is a mediocre GM at best. Rather than signing the best international prospect not named Otani, the Braves spent over $20M on a couple of geriatric pitchers on a team that will be lucky to sniff a .500 record.

Very poor allocation of assets.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-01-2017), Hudson2 (03-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is unfortunate. Spending whatever it took to get Robert would have been infinitely more valuable to the organization than giving contracts to guys like Dickey and Colon.

Yet another series of moves by Coppy that show me he is a mediocre GM at best. Rather than signing the best international prospect not named Otani, the Braves spent over $20M on a couple of geriatric pitchers on a team that will be lucky to sniff a .500 record.

Very poor allocation of assets.
    I'm pretty confident the Dickey/Colon signings have 0 to do with our inability/unwillingness to go after Robert. But continue with the agenda.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (03-01-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm pretty confident the Dickey/Colon signings have 0 to do with our inability/unwillingness to go after Robert. But continue with the agenda.
    Colon and Dickey signings have nothing to do with the 20 million lose in 2016, since their contracts are not payable until 2017. those have absolutely noting to do with each other. Eating Bourn and Swisher and going big in the J2 singings was the reason we lost 20 million.

My point about the 20 million lose in 2016 is that it might be harder to justify another high profile signing that doesn't produce a tangible return immediately and that is not set in a salary budget like Colon and Dickey are.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 03-01-2017 at 05:03 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    So you don't think the Braves operate on a budget? Or giving those 2 pitchers $20M instead of signing Robert was a better use of that budget? Or do the Braves just not think Robert is a good prospect? Or some combination of all 3?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-01-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If the Braves are interested I don't think we'd hear much about it right now anyways. But it would make sense for us to overpay for somebody like that who can be a future piece in a big way than somebody who will be here for just one or 2 seasons.