Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,569 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Biggest Letdown: Prospect No. 39: Jordan Schafer

COUNTDOWN: TOP 50 BRAVES PROSPECTS

PROSPECT NO. 39: JORDAN SCHAFER

Many top prospects have found obstacleS such as injury or the inability to play certain positions as blocking their way to a prolonged major league career. Jordan Schafer's biggest obstacle was present for the outfielder every time he looked in a mirror.
    A third-round prep pick in the 2003 draft, he took $320,000 not to take his talents as a pitcher to Clemson, the lefty hitting outfielder at age 20 ascended to the top of the Braves' prospect board before the 2008 season. He later admitted, “I never dreamed I would be drafted as a hitter.”
    Playing both at Rome and Myrtle Beach, he hit .312, leading all of the minor leagues with 176 hits with 15 homers, 63 RBIs and 74 extra base hits (49 doubles). That was followed by a sensational Arizona Fall League campaign, and it seemed that the sky was the limit.
    He showed up for spring training the following year decked out in bling and with an entourage of guys who made the Braves' brass nervous. He quickly became one of the most unpopular players in camp, but that did not prepare anyone for what came next.
    On April 4, MLB lawyers brought him to Atlanta for questioning, and on April 8, his season with Class AA Mississippi was interrupted when he was nailed with a 50-game suspension for using HGH – Human Growth Hormone. His father told ESPN that Jordan did not fail a drug test and did not purchase HGH, either from a supplier or online. But the MLB director of media relations, Mike Teevan, replied that MLB has “non-analytic means of identifying players, (and Schafer) falls under that category.”
    That August, he told Baseball America, “What happened is unfortunate. It's not what people think. I didn't do something to make me better. … If you have proof that I used stuff, I mean, someone please show me.” But the point was made in a USA Today article the following spring was that Schafer accepted the suspension when MLB's anecdotal evidence was presented.
    At the time, there was no test for HGH.
    Admitting his head was still in the wrong place, he got off to a wretched start when he was finally allowed to take the field. A strong finish was required to get his average up to .269, but still had 80 hits (including 10 homers) in his 84-game season. He broke camp with the Braves in 2009, but the Schafer who was such a heralded prospect was nowhere to be found; he hit only .204 with 63 strikeouts in 50 games and was exiled to the minors for two injury plagued seasons.
    But the Astros thought enough of his potential to build a trade that inclued Schafer for veteran Michael Bourn during the 2011 season. That winter, he was pulled over with expired 2008 plates on his vehicle and police found it filled with marijuana smoke. He was in possession of 25 grams, making it a felony arrest. But remarkably, following the 2012 season, the Braves re-acquired him on waivers thanks in large part to a plea from friend and teammate Matt Diaz. Playing for minimum salary, he hit .247 with 22 stolen bases and played in 94 games. He returned for 2014, but suffered a stress fracture in his ankle and was put on waivers. He was claimed by the Twins, hit a career-high .285 with 15 stolen bases in just 41 games and was named the Twins Opening Day center fielder for 2015.
    But once again, the Cinderella story turned sour. He sprained his knee, hit only .217 and was 0-for-3 in stolen bases when he was released on June 18.
    His career seemingly over at age 28, Schafer instead staged another re-boot, returning to his original plan to be a pitcher. In 2016, signed by the Dodgers, he appeared in a total of 40 games over three minor league levels (1-1, 3.83, 59 strikeouts in 49 innings), finishing the year in AAA.
    He enters 2017 with a new deal in hard with the St. Louis Cardinals as a pitcher. with a roster invite to the big league camp this spring. He'll be just 30 year old.
    Last edited by rico43; 02-12-2017 at 02:39 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-11-2017),BornaBrave (01-11-2017),buck75 (01-11-2017),Coach_Chris (01-10-2017),CyYoung31 (01-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Schafer burned out so quickly. I really thought he was going to smoke the league when he rolled up to the big leagues.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-11-2017),Forever Fredi (01-11-2017),FreemanFan (01-12-2017),Jaw (01-12-2017),Julio3000 (01-11-2017),Prikichi (01-12-2017),thewupk (01-11-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,434 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think rico mentioned it in a different post, but Baseball America used to give awards for the best junior league players or players of a certain age group and both Kyle Davies and Jordan Schafer were recognized as possible big-time players at a very early age. I've always been a bit puzzled by how sometimes Braves' scouts go "opposite" on a lot of guys from the rest of the scouting community in projecting the future position of a prospect. Klesko was a great pitching prospect, but hurt his arm as a HS senior and the Braves always had him as a hitter. Schafer projected as a pitcher to most scouts, but the Braves had him as an OF from the get-go. A lot of folks had Andrelton Simmons as a relief pitcher. I'm sure there are other examples, but those leap to mind.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,895 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think rico mentioned it in a different post, but Baseball America used to give awards for the best junior league players or players of a certain age group and both Kyle Davies and Jordan Schafer were recognized as possible big-time players at a very early age. I've always been a bit puzzled by how sometimes Braves' scouts go "opposite" on a lot of guys from the rest of the scouting community in projecting the future position of a prospect. Klesko was a great pitching prospect, but hurt his arm as a HS senior and the Braves always had him as a hitter. Schafer projected as a pitcher to most scouts, but the Braves had him as an OF from the get-go. A lot of folks had Andrelton Simmons as a relief pitcher. I'm sure there are other examples, but those leap to mind.
    I know LaRoche was somewhat of a pitcher but don't know what the consensus on him coming out of college was. Didn't realize he was also drafted in the 29th round.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,895 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had hopes that Jordan would be our lite version of Grady Sizemore. Someone that was good at all facets of the game. Jordan was also in an impressive string of Braves rookies to homer on opening day.

Boras' Client
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 725 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Most had Austin Riley as a pitcher as well.

And the story I've heard on Simmons is that we had him as more of a pitcher as well, but he said he would only sign if we gave him a shot at SS first.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This going OT, but wanted to mention the rather unique story about somebody who might well have joined this list. Michael Bernier was from Long Island, had a high 90's fastball, got signed with a fairly significant bonus by the Braves. What happened? During a high school game, he collided with an outfielder, while shagging flies (don't ask why) and separated his shoulder. Baseball career over.

He chose a path in music:

So, instead of teaming with Glavine and Maddux, he worked instead with Tony Levin.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stick_Men_(prog_band)

Could not find anything from a search about his baseball career, but this was 20+ years back. I did get to see him perform once. He's an excellent musician, and might well have had the same dedication to pitching. I asked about his heater. He kind of chuckled, and acted a bit coy, but drew a sketch of the heater on a signed CD. Pretty cool!
    Last edited by Knucksie; 01-11-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never forget opening night 2009 - Braves and Nats. Shaefer hitting a homer in his first game.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (01-12-2017)

Our Leader.
    Always and Forever.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 Times in 2,730 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It's a shame Schafer burned out so quickly. I really thought he was going to smoke the league when he rolled up to the big leagues.
    I'll be blunt about this. I had high hopes for him to be our everyday center fielder for a long time. I didn't expect him to stink up the joint as bad as he did. I thought a fire would be lit under him after his second chance.

Atlanta Braves - Arsenal - Federer -

"
    So I'll make you a deal, let me post again and I'll drop this whole narrative about you being intolerant and so on."
    - A PM sent from Tomahawking4life to me 11/21/'16

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forever Fredi For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (01-12-2017),FreemanFan (01-12-2017),Julio3000 (01-11-2017),Prikichi (01-12-2017),smootness (01-11-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,981 Times in 3,476 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'll be blunt about this. I had high hopes for him to be our everyday center fielder for a long time. I didn't expect him to stink up the joint as bad as he did. I thought a fire would be lit under him after his second chance.
    He looked like a budding superstar but ended up disappearing like a puff of smoke.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (01-12-2017),Prikichi (01-12-2017),smootness (01-11-2017)