Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That's certainly possible. But considering Mallex + was traded for Smyly (who we have a good idea of his value) then it starts to become clear what Mallex's value currently is around the league.
    I don't necessarily think 2 years of Smyly (plus the associated cost of acquiring him in terms of high upside youngsters) is better for this team than taking a chance on Gohara. Quite a few of the prospect writers seem pretty high on him, and he's a 20-year-old who got his body in line last year and then saw tremendous success after doing so.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    That evalulation was clear when they extended Ender.
    Ender being the better player and willing to sign a super team friendly deal doesn't automatically equate to Mallex being a 4th OF even if that would be his role on this team in 2017.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    If I were updating Top 30 just for this, I'd have Gohara at No. 13 on my Top 30. Four years in extended spring gives me pause.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don't necessarily think 2 years of Smyly (plus the associated cost of acquiring him in terms of high upside youngsters) is better for this team than taking a chance on Gohara. Quite a few of the prospect writers seem pretty high on him, and he's a 20-year-old who got his body in line last year and then saw tremendous success after doing so.
    I would agree that of the two moves then Gohara is the better move for this team. I'd bet a lot that Tampa offered Smyly to us for Mallex + and we said no.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don't think so. It was a poo poo platter. And most think the Rays screwed up.

Everything I've read says mlb thinks mallex is a platoon guy
    Clearly Mallex isn't valued as a starting CF right now. Smyly is 2 years from FA and isn't really all that valuable. He is a flawed starter that could be good or could have another 2016. The thing with Mallex is he has the potential to substantially up his value in one season. I'm sure after this year we will have a better idea if the Braves sold low on him or accurately depicted him as a 4th OF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That's certainly possible. But considering Mallex + was traded for Smyly (who we have a good idea of his value) then it starts to become clear what Mallex's value currently is around the league.
    Why are we sure that Smyly is valuable?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why are we sure that Smyly is valuable?
    If he's not then giving up Mallex + for him means that Mallex has very little value. Which brings me back to my point. As a 4th OF this trade is fine. If you think Mallex will be a starting CF then we didn't get enough. IMO with these two trades we saw 3 different teams value Mallex as 4th OF today.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-12-2017), Jaw (01-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If he's not then giving up Mallex + for him means that Mallex has very little value. Which brings me back to my point. As a 4th OF this trade is fine. If you think Mallex will be a starting CF then we didn't get enough. IMO with these two trades we saw 3 different teams value Mallex as 4th OF today.
    The kid we got sounds like he has a dynamite arm. He's far away so odds are against hm but I don't agree with you

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Wrong thread
    Last edited by rico43; 01-12-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    The kid we got sounds like he has a dynamite arm. He's far away so odds are against hm but I don't agree with you
    That's fine. I just don't think if the Braves viewed Mallex as a starting CF they would trade him for a lottery ticket.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-12-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Just read multiple reports on these prospects

Sounds like we got a lefty touki and a left hand reliever who could be ready as early as this year while opening up 40 man space.
    If his slider is as good as Touki's curve, then I like this trade.

This guy would be like Wisler except lefty and with an effective fastball.

Also, Randy Ventura can be the next Mallex (Being serious actually think Mallex is a good 4th OF/low end starter and am kinda meh on this trade. Wish I lived near our high A team now though).
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 01-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    From Rosenthal piece:

Two scouts texted me Wednesday — unsolicited — after the Mariners traded one of their top pitching prospects, left-hander Luiz Gohara, to the Braves.

“Giving up Gohara, worst move EVER!!” the first scout said.

“Best pitcher in the Arizona Fall League,” the second scout said, adding that he saw Gohara throw 97 to 100 mph in an outing late in the AFL season.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (01-11-2017), Hawk (01-12-2017), mossy (01-11-2017), rico43 (01-12-2017), Tapate50 (01-12-2017), UNCBlue012 (01-12-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Clearly Mallex isn't valued as a starting CF right now. Smyly is 2 years from FA and isn't really all that valuable. He is a flawed starter that could be good or could have another 2016. The thing with Mallex is he has the potential to substantially up his value in one season. I'm sure after this year we will have a better idea if the Braves sold low on him or accurately depicted him as a 4th OF.
    Ok

But couldn't you say that about everyone? Gohara could put it all together and be a top 50 prospect. Then you can't get him

It's like if we traded Ruiz now. He's young for aaa. Maybe adds power and or becomes ok vs Lh.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    From Rosenthal piece:

Two scouts texted me Wednesday — unsolicited — after the Mariners traded one of their top pitching prospects, left-hander Luiz Gohara, to the Braves.

“Giving up Gohara, worst move EVER!!” the first scout said.

“Best pitcher in the Arizona Fall League,” the second scout said, adding that he saw Gohara throw 97 to 100 mph in an outing late in the AFL season.
    Really interesting. Very few seem to be viewing it like that from the Braves perspective. Most seem to be saying "another lottery ticket, small chance of cashing", but these (unnamed) scouts seem to be saying something very different. Perhaps the first unnamed scout is given to hype and the second has a poor opinion of all the other AFL pitchers. I have no idea if he'll be good, but I don't mind seeing that some "scouts" apparently think he will.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    I think that's exactly what the Rays plan. They will likely let him play every day in AAA, flip Kier next offseason when he starts to get expensive, and use Mallex in CF for the next 2-3 years.

Trading pitchers with 1-2 years of control remaining for younger assets is an excellent move, and I hope the Braves make a habit of doing the same.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Ok

But couldn't you say that about everyone? Gohara could put it all together and be a top 50 prospect. Then you can't get him

It's like if we traded Ruiz now. He's young for aaa. Maybe adds power and or becomes ok vs Lh.
    Sure. Technically anyone could bust out at any point. These things happen. I just don't see this as a scenario where the Braves see Mallex as a starting CF and then trade him for Gahora who they believe is on the verge of becoming a huge prospect. They likely see Mallex as a 4th OF with a chance to become a regular and Gahora as a young kid with a big arm with a chance to make some noise. Again, the fact that Mallex was sent with someone else for Smyly suggests the M's and Rays saw him pretty much the same way.

I understand that the odds are great that Mallex is likely destined to be a 4th OF/platoon guy. But I do like his game and would have given him more of an opportunity after coming back from injury to show it before making a decision.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (01-12-2017)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    If you're going to quote the Rosenthal piece, you should also quote the part where he mentions the Reds scuttling a trade involving Gohara because they didn't like the medicals on his shouder.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-12-2017), rico43 (01-12-2017), Tapate50 (01-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I won't lie, I was able to sleep on it, and I'm still on board with this trade. I think Gohara could be a good 2-3 starter moving forward, or he could be an all-important chip for a larger trade. Look, I'll miss Mallex, and even more Simmons when he's healthy, but I think our moves have been smart. If there is indeed a sore shoulder issue, I don't like the deal as much. But with what we know now, I'm a fan. Smith just wasn't a part of our plans moving forward -- and it's pretty obvious even before the trade.

Now: GO BRAVES!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I believe Simmons was going to be arbitration eligible next year, which is another factor in to flipping him out of that whole group of righty 6th and 7th inning guys.

I'm thnking we sign two more vets to hopefully flip in July woth the 2 new 40 man roster spots. I just hope it's not Frenchy and KJ.
    Last edited by Chico; 01-12-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I believe Simmons was going to be arbitration eligible next year, which is another factor in to flipping him out of that whole group of righty 6th and 7th inning guys.

I'm thnking we sign two more vets to hopefully flip in July woth the 2 new 40 man roster spots. I just hope it's not Frenchy and KJ.
    I'm down with KJ, but I don't want anything to do with Frenchy. I do think we make another big-time move though. This just seems like a precurser to a much bigger trade -- may not be -- but seems like it.