Thread: Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I assumed that unless Mallex developed some pop there was no chance we'd see him in the same outfield as Ender. Interesting move. Time will tell, I guess.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    Mis-management of assets probably.

I'd assume we'd have been much better off by trading Ender.

Mallex + Return for Ender >>>>>>> Ender + Return for Mallex

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Mis-management of assets probably.

I'd assume we'd have been much better off by trading Ender.

Mallex + Return for Ender >>>>>>> Ender + Return for Mallex
    Not necessarily. As pure and simple assets, maybe. But in terms of fielding the best team, if we assume Mallex is roughly a 2ish WAR guy (don't know how you could assume more yet), then Ender is a clear and impactful upgrade from him at CF. So the pieces you got in return for Ender would have to be that much better than the guys they're replacing. So even if you could get three 3-WAR guys for Ender, that doesn't automatically mean you're better off than you would have been getting a much lesser return for Mallex and keeping Ender.

That said, I don't think this was a good trade.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Not necessarily. As pure and simple assets, maybe. But in terms of fielding the best team, if we assume Mallex is roughly a 2ish WAR guy (don't know how you could assume more yet), then Ender is a clear and impactful upgrade from him at CF. So the pieces you got in return for Ender would have to be that much better than the guys they're replacing. So even if you could get three 3-WAR guys for Ender, that doesn't automatically mean you're better off than you would have been getting a much lesser return for Mallex and keeping Ender.

That said, I don't think this was a good trade.
    I think we could have gotten fair value for Ender... but below-fair value for Mallex.

I could, of course, be wrong

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Yeah, I don't like this at all. I agree that Burrows and Simmons are about a push so this is really about Mallex for Gohara. If Mallex had a lower ceiling I could understand this. But with his speed and track record of getting on base in the minors, he has the potential to be a very dangerous leadoff hitter. Trading a major league ready CFer who could end up being one of the game's better leadoff hitters for a pitcher that hasn't even made the jump to AA isn't something I like. Gohara's ceiling value is probably similar to Mallex's ceiling value but Gohara is a tremendously higher risk.

I'm unimpressed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-11-2017), JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Yeah, I don't like this at all. I agree that Burrows and Simmons are about a push so this is really about Mallex for Gohara. If Mallex had a lower ceiling I could understand this. But with his speed and track record of getting on base in the minors, he has the potential to be a very dangerous leadoff hitter. Trading a major league ready CFer who could end up being one of the game's better leadoff hitters for a pitcher that hasn't even made the jump to AA isn't something I like. Gohara's ceiling value is probably similar to Mallex's ceiling value but Gohara is a tremendously higher risk.

I'm unimpressed.
    Mallex actually strikes me as more of a guy with a high floor than a guy with a high ceiling. Because of his defense, which seems to be at least average in CF, and his speed, he can provide value to a team and should be able to stick as at least a guy who can produce 1-1.5 WAR in the majors. But I don't know if he'll ever hit enough in the majors to be a whole lot more than that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,382 Posts
    Mallex actually strikes me as more of a guy with a high floor than a guy with a high ceiling. Because of his defense, which seems to be at least average in CF, and his speed, he can provide value to a team and should be able to stick as at least a guy who can produce 1-1.5 WAR in the majors. But I don't know if he'll ever hit enough in the majors to be a whole lot more than that.
    I think Mallex will become a good CF.. he always got better after repeating a level, which tells me he adjusts well. I think he will consistently produce 3+ WAR through his age 30 season. Hopefully the big arms we got back are going to continue to improve as they both had very solid years last season. Burrows is close so he definitely softens the blow of losing Kimbrel2.0

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think Mallex will become a good CF.. he always got better after repeating a level, which tells me he adjusts well. I think he will consistently produce 3+ WAR through his age 30 season. Hopefully the big arms we got back are going to continue to improve as they both had very solid years last season. Burrows is close so he definitely softens the blow of losing Kimbrel2.0
    And you may end up being right. But the opinions of prospect sites has continued to lag behind fans. We'll see which turns out to be right in the end, but there has to be a reason they still don't see Mallex as much more than a bench bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    I've always seen Mallex as having a Juan Pierre type ceiling with a decent shot at reaching that. I'm just not terribly high on Gohara, though I admittedly don't know a ton about him. What I've read has me thinking he's more likely to be a back end of the rotation starter or a lefty setup man. I just don't see Gohara's realistic ceiling being higher than Mallex's.

It just seems like we traded for a whole lot more risk without much potential for a larger payoff. That's not a smart thing to do.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-11-2017)