User Tag List

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 480

Thread: Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

  1. #1
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,549
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/0...e-simmons.html

    They turned one of their only expendable position assets into even more pitching. Gohara probably slots into the Braves list at about 10-15, and Burrows is a BP guy all the way.

    Seems light for Mallex and Simmons. I suppose I dramatically overestimated Mallex's trade value.

    I think the M's got a steal in this one.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (01-11-2017)

  3. #2
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 24 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mallex Smith traded


  4. #3
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,870
    Thanks
    720
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of them... numbers look decent thought

  5. #4
    High School Draftee Freshmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked 63 Times in 26 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I dunno anything about the guys we got. Are they any good? Moderately surprised we'd trade Mallex away like that. I kinda figured he'd be a good replacement for Neck at some point.

  6. #5
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,613
    Thanks
    5,596
    Thanked 6,740 Times in 3,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fangraphs has Gohara as a future bullpen guy. Not sure how I feel about that.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (01-11-2017)

  8. #6
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,549
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Hmm I dunno anything about the guys we got. Are they any good? Moderately surprised we'd trade Mallex away like that. I kinda figured he'd be a good replacement for Neck at some point.
    Deal is basically Gohara for Mallex (Simmons and Burrows are pretty much a wash). The M's got themselves a 2-3 WAR CFer under control for 5 years by only giving up the equivalent of Kyle Muller.

    Seems like a clear win for the M's. Bad trade by Coppy. He essentially gave an average CFer away for nothing.

  9. #7
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,613
    Thanks
    5,596
    Thanked 6,740 Times in 3,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I assumed that unless Mallex developed some pop there was no chance we'd see him in the same outfield as Ender. Interesting move. Time will tell, I guess.

  10. #8
    Where's My Cup of Coffee? NYCBrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks
    728
    Thanked 182 Times in 111 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I assumed that unless Mallex developed some pop there was no chance we'd see him in the same outfield as Ender. Interesting move. Time will tell, I guess.
    I guess this means Enciarte is looked at as a long term piece. Also, I thought this board thought Mallet had more value than he did in real life.

  11. #9
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,870
    Thanks
    720
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mis-management of assets probably.

    I'd assume we'd have been much better off by trading Ender.

    Mallex + Return for Ender >>>>>>> Ender + Return for Mallex

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

  13. #10
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    DANGERZONE
    Posts
    15,542
    Thanks
    980
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This trade likely rotates around Gohara. He's got potential, and just last year seemed to start figuring out how to pitch
    AJ does all the other things just as well if not better than Mac - zbhargrove

    I don't think Nolan Ryan should be a poster child for mechanics - SAV

  14. #11
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,613
    Thanks
    5,596
    Thanked 6,740 Times in 3,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I guess this means Enciarte is looked at as a long term piece. Also, I thought this board thought Mallet had more value than he did in real life.
    I'm inclined to agree, though I liked the guy. He needs more pop or more OBP to make it to the next level. I think we picked the right guy. Don't love this trade at first blush, though.

  15. #12
    2019. Definitely 2019. GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    3,099
    Thanks
    994
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 673 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I guess this means Enciarte is looked at as a long term piece. Also, I thought this board thought Mallet had more value than he did in real life.
    Damn.

    I did, I'm sure. I really liked the guy. And Simmons...damn.

    Both GMs have entered the rosterbation phase of the offseason. That gives Seattle six center fielders and God knows Atlanta doesn't need any more A level pitching.

    Maybe they'll trade them back for each other on 2/1.

    Damn.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (01-11-2017),jpx7 (01-11-2017)

  17. #13
    Expects Huge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,933
    Thanks
    591
    Thanked 3,846 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    This trade likely rotates around Gohara. He's got potential, and just last year seemed to start figuring out how to pitch
    Yeah. Gohara is the highest upside player in this trade. Still seems like a light return for Mallex and Shae.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (01-11-2017),dak (01-11-2017),JohnAdcox (01-11-2017),jpx7 (01-11-2017)

  19. #14
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,995
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 698 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Mis-management of assets probably.

    I'd assume we'd have been much better off by trading Ender.

    Mallex + Return for Ender >>>>>>> Ender + Return for Mallex
    Not necessarily. As pure and simple assets, maybe. But in terms of fielding the best team, if we assume Mallex is roughly a 2ish WAR guy (don't know how you could assume more yet), then Ender is a clear and impactful upgrade from him at CF. So the pieces you got in return for Ender would have to be that much better than the guys they're replacing. So even if you could get three 3-WAR guys for Ender, that doesn't automatically mean you're better off than you would have been getting a much lesser return for Mallex and keeping Ender.

    That said, I don't think this was a good trade.

  20. #15
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,870
    Thanks
    720
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Not necessarily. As pure and simple assets, maybe. But in terms of fielding the best team, if we assume Mallex is roughly a 2ish WAR guy (don't know how you could assume more yet), then Ender is a clear and impactful upgrade from him at CF. So the pieces you got in return for Ender would have to be that much better than the guys they're replacing. So even if you could get three 3-WAR guys for Ender, that doesn't automatically mean you're better off than you would have been getting a much lesser return for Mallex and keeping Ender.

    That said, I don't think this was a good trade.
    I think we could have gotten fair value for Ender... but below-fair value for Mallex.

    I could, of course, be wrong

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

  22. #16
    It's OVER 5,000! UNCBlue012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,137
    Thanks
    1,408
    Thanked 749 Times in 540 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure injuries are the only reason we traded Simmons. Dude just couldn't stay healthy.

  23. #17
    10 yr, $185 million Extension cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    4,703
    Thanks
    1,196
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 903 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Deal is basically Gohara for Mallex (Simmons and Burrows are pretty much a wash). The M's got themselves a 2-3 WAR CFer under control for 5 years by only giving up the equivalent of Kyle Muller.

    Seems like a clear win for the M's. Bad trade by Coppy. He essentially gave an average CFer away for nothing.

    But I thought the Braves were all about that WAR and surplus value projections. Please look into your crystal ball and tell me what the surplus value is of these players.
    Byrd is not the word

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

    Knucksie (01-11-2017)

  25. #18
    Anytime Now Frankie... striker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,404
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 688 Times in 380 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't like this at all. I agree that Burrows and Simmons are about a push so this is really about Mallex for Gohara. If Mallex had a lower ceiling I could understand this. But with his speed and track record of getting on base in the minors, he has the potential to be a very dangerous leadoff hitter. Trading a major league ready CFer who could end up being one of the game's better leadoff hitters for a pitcher that hasn't even made the jump to AA isn't something I like. Gohara's ceiling value is probably similar to Mallex's ceiling value but Gohara is a tremendously higher risk.

    I'm unimpressed.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (01-11-2017),JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

  27. #19
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,493
    Thanks
    354
    Thanked 895 Times in 582 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tells me that Coppy is thinking about keeping the farm restocked. is he about to move some pitching for something?? I don't like the trade initially.. I think Mallex has big upside to become a better player than Ender.

  28. #20
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,549
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    But I thought the Braves were all about that WAR and surplus value projections. Please look into your crystal ball and tell me what the surplus value is of these players.
    Actually, I have repeatedly said the Braves are one of the few teams still clinging to some forms of stone aged thinking. This trade exemplifies that thinking perfectly, and is why it's going to be widely viewed as a bad trade from the Braves perspective.

    They gave up ~$50M in surplus value with Mallex (10+ WAR over 5 years at a total salary of ~$25M) for another lottery ticket A ball pitcher. This is a terrible trade.

    I know you can't wrap your head around surplus value, but that's how transactions are evaluated by the majority of people in the game.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-11-2017 at 03:16 PM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (01-11-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •