Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Braves FO is obviously applying a pretty big positive fudge factor to Gohara. They might turn out to be right. But I tend to be suspicious when trades are based upon a big fudge factor.
    The heck is a fudge factor? Haha

Their values seem prett comparable right now. Some knowledgeable people have even argued Gohara has quite a bit more value right now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You can bet Coppy has forgotten more about baseball, than we will ever know....he doesn't know how it will turn out and neither does anyone else.

He is again and again taking taking a chance on high ceiling guys. Only one or two have to "hit" to make it worth it.

They like DPet much more. There is a gamble both ways of course. Mallex can come out on fire OR (just as likely), he could regress or stay hurt.

Big leftys that throw 95 plus are a rare find. He's only 20. Mallex is 24. If he doesn't progress quickly from here out, he has a tough road ahead.

Everything...everything is a gamble. The most "sure thing" prospect can blow out a arm. The Cuban has lost weight and is getting in shape, if he puts it together...look out. As far as chances go...chances are neither become stars.

One thing is for sure a big young Lefty that throws 95+ will always have more value than a burner outfielder with very little pop in his bat, that doesn't hit for that great of an average either.

The Braves have a ton of talent evaluators, that do this for a living. If they let him go, they don't believe he has much more to show than he already has, and that is....he will never come close to Ender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    My guess is Tampa could have made a Smiley for Gohara trade but declined. Something to keep in mind.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    You can bet Coppy has forgotten more about baseball, than we will ever know....he doesn't know how it will turn out and neither does anyone else.

He is again and again taking taking a chance on high ceiling guys. Only one or two have to "hit" to make it worth it.

They like DPet much more. There is a gamble both ways of course. Mallex can come out on fire OR (just as likely), he could regress or stay hurt.

Big leftys that throw 95 plus are a rare find. He's only 20. Mallex is 24. If he doesn't progress quickly from here out, he has a tough road ahead.

Everything...everything is a gamble. The most "sure thing" prospect can blow out a arm. The Cuban has lost weight and is getting in shape, if he puts it together...look out. As far as chances go...chances are neither become stars.

One thing is for sure a big young Lefty that throws 95+ will always have more value than a burner outfielder with very little pop in his bat, that doesn't hit for that great of an average either.

The Braves have a ton of talent evaluators, that do this for a living. If they let him go, they don't believe he has much more to show than he already has, and that is....he will never come close to Ender.
    Actually Coppy has made lots of trades for quantity rather than high upside. The trade bringing us Mallex being a prime example.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Earlier yes, but that's not been his bag as of late...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Actually Coppy has made lots of trades for quantity rather than high upside. The trade bringing us Mallex being a prime example.
    Not really. We weren't going to get a higher ceiling prospect than Fried for one year of Upton.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    My guess is Tampa could have made a Smiley for Gohara trade but declined. Something to keep in mind.
    They didn't give up Smyly for Mallex alone.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The of positions does not work. I'm with you but our front office thinks kemp and neck are positives not negatives.

Mallex was not going to play if ppl are healthy. Dpeterson is the guy to move neck. How was he going to get the time to prove he's a x war player? Is aaa going to do that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Not really. We weren't going to get a higher ceiling prospect than Fried for one year of Upton.
    Agreed. Thought that comment was weird.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    think about all the players we've traded in recent years...if the emphasis had really been on getting very highly rated talent we would have taken a different approach...we would have tailored combinations of guys like Heyward, Kimbrel and Simmons rather than tradingdthem piecemeal sometimes in 3 or 4 for one trades...the only time we did that was Wood and Peraza for Olivera...that trade had other issues but the concept of two very good players for an exceptional talent is a good one
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-12-2017 at 07:41 PM.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    They didn't give up Smyly for Mallex alone.
    But they already had the other prospects in the deal, so it could have just been Gohara and those guys, which implies Tampa likes Mallex more than Gohara (or is heavily valuing proximity to the majors).

Kinda funny that I agree with your opinions completely on this trade since I'm all about the nuances.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 01-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    My Lord....what would Kemp have to do for you guys to respect him...hit 80 HRs and 300 RBI??? He changed the offensive output of the team almost over night. For the matter ...what would Nick have to do. He played solid D and was a clutch hitter that hit for average. Unreal.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

rico43 (01-12-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    My Lord....what would Kemp have to do for you guys to respect him...hit 80 HRs and 300 RBI??? He changed the offensive output of the team almost over night. For the matter ...what would Nick have to do. He played solid D and was a clutch hitter that hit for average. Unreal.
    Be worth more than 2 WAR.

Edit: I think they're more or less fine, but to get respect, that would be the line.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 01-12-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Paralysis by analysis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    But they already had the other prospects in the deal, so it could have just been Gohara and those guys, which implies Tampa likes Mallex more than Gohara (or is heavily valuing proximity to the majors).
    It is pretty clear that Tampa values Mallex over Gohara. And even more clear they would value Shae plus Mallex over Gohara.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So if everyone has him pegged as a 4th OFer, why trade him now at that value? Why not give him some time in AAA to prove he can be an everyday CFer that posts 2-3 WAR? Why not see is he can reach his lofty KATOH projections after already posting 1 WAR in less than half an MLB season?

Worst case scenario is he confirms he is a 4th OFer, and has the exact same value as right now.

What was the rush to trade him now? Did the Braves have an urgent need for yet another A ball pitcher?
    He can't prove he's more than a fourth OF in aaa. Or by in fact being a fourth OF.

And apparently the braves don't think he's more than that. Or at least they don't think he's better option than inciarte at a higher salary.

As far as I can tell only braves fans think he is more.

And they aren't going to play him and inciarte together because that doesn't make any roster sense.

So they moved him for I guess a pitcher they consider to be a really high upside play.

Baseball in general seems to agree with that. I'm not sure if that was the play or not, but he does seem to be turning a corner of sorts.

The mariners are probably either selling high after the best days of the kids career or trying to do something to win in short term as acquiring a starter with 2 years of control doesn't make much sense otherwise as a long term play.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So the fact that he hit over 100 RBIs, and 35 HR's in the two worst hitters parks in baseball means nothing.

In a hitter friendly park he would be batting in about 130 RBI and 40 HRs.

Our offense went from literally unwatchable , to one of the better ones in the league. That wasn't all him, BUT he had a BIG part in it.

WAR is only ONE way to evaluate a player's performance. It's not the end all be all.

I wasn't too big on the Kemp trade, but I can't argue the results....I don't see how anyone can. Any GM would take a 40 HR/ 100 + RBI guy...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    The odd thing here, to me, is that he reverted to earlier form and traded a guy who will likely contribute something at the big league level in the near future for a guy who is pretty far away. From statements late in the season, I thought we were moving towards trades that would bring in more big league-ready guys.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    think about all the players we've traded in recent years...if the emphasis had really been on getting very highly rated talent we would have taken a different approach...we would have tailored combinations of guys like Heyward, Kimbrel and Simmons rather than tradingdthem piecemeal sometimes in 3 or 4 for one trades...the only time we did that was Wood and Peraza for Olivera...that trade had other issues but the concept of two very good players for an exceptional talent is a good one
    The goal was to get as many high upside guys as we could get. There is clearly a strategy to minimize risk by getting numerous high-upside assets. You may consider that 'quantity' but it's not a bunch of middling guys. You also have to have trade partners. There's no guarantee that packaging all those guys will return as much value.

When you're getting prospects in return for major leaguers, you're always going to give up fewer players than you're getting. But the track record of the team's getting prospect hauls in deals like that is pretty good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    So the fact that he hit over 100 RBIs, and 35 HR's in the two worst hitters parks in baseball means nothing.

In a hitter friendly park he would be batting in about 130 RBI and 40 HRs.

Our offense went from literally unwatchable , to one of the better ones in the league. That wasn't all him, BUT he had a BIG part in it.

WAR is only ONE way to evaluate a player's performance. It's not the end all be all.

I wasn't too big on the Kemp trade, but I can't argue the results....I don't see how anyone can. Any GM would take a 40 HR/ 100 + RBI guy...
    It's all about defense, which I find a questionable consideration for a LF, but that's the limitation.

i don't think WAR really values defense quite right and it ignores some aspects of lineup construction.

But I don't think Kemp or Mallex is necessarily a championship player. That's not really what atlanta's trying to do at the moment so Mallex is probably pretty disposable and carries a little bit of value.