Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves trade Mallex and Simmons to M's for Gohara and Burrows

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I probably trade a player like Mallex for a shot at a Gohara seeing what pitching is bringing these days. With two potentially dominant pitches , he could end up in the pen and still have tremendous value.

On another note good Lord at what the Ms gave up to get Smyly all told. (Gohara and Burrows included)
    It did turn out to be a lot, didn't it? While I like Smyly and think he's a pretty good candidate to get straightened out, they gave us two good prospects and Tampa two more.

Dipoto better hope he's right. His friends out here are considering staging an intervention and taking away his phone. Since 9/15 he's made 36 trades, 50% again more than the #2 GM, who is...yep, you got it.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    It did turn out to be a lot, didn't it? While I like Smyly and think he's a pretty good candidate to get straightened out, they gave us two good prospects and Tampa two more.

Dipoto better hope he's right. His friends out here are considering staging an intervention and taking away his phone. Since 9/15 he's made 36 trades, 50% again more than the #2 GM, who is...yep, you got it.
    Right now you don't know if he's brilliant or impatient. Only time will tell.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Right now you don't know if he's brilliant or impatient. Only time will tell.
    Wonder what those 45 bombs would have looked like from Trumbo at 1B if he hadn't impulsively dealt him for Steve Clevenger? He missed the playoffs by a game.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I probably trade a player like Mallex for a shot at a Gohara seeing what pitching is bringing these days. With two potentially dominant pitches , he could end up in the pen and still have tremendous value.

On another note good Lord at what the Ms gave up to get Smyly all told. (Gohara and Burrows included)
    I've long been a fan of Smyly....so they gave up Burrows, Gohara, Vargas, and Yarbrough for Smyly and Simmons.

Basically a high upside pitcher that is top 50ish but a long ways away and 3 guys that have almost no chance of a ML impact for a middle of the rotation starter and a later inning reliever (with injury concerns). That is understandable for a team trying to win this year.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I've long been a fan of Smyly....so they gave up Burrows, Gohara, Vargas, and Yarbrough for Smyly and Simmons.

Basically a high upside pitcher that is top 50ish but a long ways away and 3 guys that have almost no chance of a ML impact for a middle of the rotation starter and a later inning reliever (with injury concerns). That is understandable for a team trying to win this year.
    I would bet Burrows makes MLB this year or beginning of next. Vargas is a very young, toolsy SS that could be good. I think that is a lot to give up for a reliever with potential and a starter who can't pitch 150 innings. I think Simmons was the best get for them in this whole thing.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Smyly threw 175 innings all the way back in 2016.

Burrows is at best a LOOGY with average stuff. Thats not really saying much.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Right but that was his highest total of his career and those 25 extra innings he posted a 5+ ERA.. averaging 5 innings per. I understand he was coming back from injury.. but I am not so sure I would bet on Smyly ever being that effective again. Just another added to the long list of pitchers who try to come back from torn labrums and don't regain old form.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

I'd love to see Smyly do well, but he's struggled with injuries since college.

When Drew is on he's pretty good, but any rating system or stat that rates Smyly as equal to or better than Teheran uses crack residue as one of its key inputs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Yeah there is absolutely no way in any universe Smyly is a better pitcher than Teheran at the moment.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yeah there is absolutely no way in any universe Smyly is a better pitcher than Teheran at the moment.
    Who is comparing him to JT.. in fairness to Giles.. he said he liked him and thought he was a good pitcher.. nothing about being equal to JT.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Who has said Smyly is as good as Teheran?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I'm not going back through 18 pages to find it, but someone quoted one of the projections that had Smyly as a close comparison with Teheran. I didn't mean to imply that you said that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It was never said outright, but Enscheff strongly implied that because an objective projection predicts Smyly to be more valuable than Teheran this year, you can't really argue with it or else you're a huge homer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    BP's take on Gohara. Needless to say, he is not a Top 50 prospect due to his extreme (even for a pitcher) risk:

"Gohara is a 20-year-old with an electric arm and concerns up and down the profile from there. Let’s start with the good. He comfortably sits in the mid-90s and touches higher with his fastball. Hitters in short-season ball couldn’t catch up to it and he dominated the Midwest League after an early-summer promotion. His curve has somewhat slurvy action, but when thrown right it’s a sharp offering with bat-missing downward action. And while the changeup is still a work in progress, it started to flash for him last summer as well.

Now the bad: While Gohara has most of the ingredients you’d want in a no. 2 starter, he’s not all that likely to reach his lofty ceiling. Stemming from issues with his size and conditioning—the big southpaw is listed at 210 pounds, but is pushing 250—he struggles to repeat his delivery and his command drifts over the course of outings. That may be fixable, but he’s got a lot of work ahead, and whispers about his makeup and effort level grew louder over the past couple of years."

They didn't even mention his shoulder issues that scuttled a trade to the Reds.

These shoulder issues:

"Kevin
    9:21 What are your thoughts on the prospects the Braves received in the Mallex trade?

Jeff Sullivan
    9:21 I don't have any thoughts on Burrows, except that as a strikeout-heavy minor-league reliever, he could move fast
    9:23 Gohara is clearly the more exciting get, but as Ken Rosenthal pointed out, there are questions about his shoulder, and he's never even thrown 70 innings in a minor-league season. The stuff is there, but Gohara is pretty damn raw, and he's years off, if he even ever arrives"

Oh yeah, and he's going to be 20 this season.

Gohara is currently ranked 12 in the Braves system. If he is a Top 50 guy, does than mean the Braves have 12 guys in the Top 50? If so, wow!!!

No, Gohara probably isn't even a Top 100 guy.

The Braves undersold Mallex too soon, and got a fat LHed version of Touki with shoulder issues in return.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-13-2017 at 02:12 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

thewupk (01-13-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It was never said outright, but Enscheff strongly implied that because an objective projection predicts Smyly to be more valuable than Teheran this year, you can't really argue with it or else you're a huge homer.
    ok.. let me rephrase my comment then.. Who of importance said/implied that Smyly is as good as JT..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I posted a set of numbers. The numbers upset you. I apologize.

Hopefully your safe space is a numbers-free zone.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The Braves clearly think Gohara found something last year with his conditioning and if he carries that forward his stock is going to get a lot more expensive than Mallex Smith. Time will tell on Mallex, I liked him, I think he can be a starter, but there are plenty who doubt he hits well enough to be that type of guy and if that's the case the Braves likely did well by selling on him now and not letting his value go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Opinions are all over the place on Gohara. You'll hear one scout say he's the best lefty pitching prospect in baseball and another say he's probably only ever going to be a reliever. You'll hear one source talk about makeup issues while another praises his hard work on his conditioning and weight loss. One place will say he lacks athleticism while another calls him a great athlete.

I'm sure we did our homework on him. Probably saw a lot of him in the AFL. I just hope it works out because I think Mallex will end up as a Juan Pierre clone and those have value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    BP's take on Gohara. Needless to say, he is not a Top 50 prospect due to his extreme (even for a pitcher) risk:

"Gohara is a 20-year-old with an electric arm and concerns up and down the profile from there. Let’s start with the good. He comfortably sits in the mid-90s and touches higher with his fastball. Hitters in short-season ball couldn’t catch up to it and he dominated the Midwest League after an early-summer promotion. His curve has somewhat slurvy action, but when thrown right it’s a sharp offering with bat-missing downward action. And while the changeup is still a work in progress, it started to flash for him last summer as well.

Now the bad: While Gohara has most of the ingredients you’d want in a no. 2 starter, he’s not all that likely to reach his lofty ceiling. Stemming from issues with his size and conditioning—the big southpaw is listed at 210 pounds, but is pushing 250—he struggles to repeat his delivery and his command drifts over the course of outings. That may be fixable, but he’s got a lot of work ahead, and whispers about his makeup and effort level grew louder over the past couple of years."

They didn't even mention his shoulder issues that scuttled a trade to the Reds.

These shoulder issues:

"Kevin
    9:21 What are your thoughts on the prospects the Braves received in the Mallex trade?

Jeff Sullivan
    9:21 I don't have any thoughts on Burrows, except that as a strikeout-heavy minor-league reliever, he could move fast
    9:23 Gohara is clearly the more exciting get, but as Ken Rosenthal pointed out, there are questions about his shoulder, and he's never even thrown 70 innings in a minor-league season. The stuff is there, but Gohara is pretty damn raw, and he's years off, if he even ever arrives"

Oh yeah, and he's going to be 20 this season.

Gohara is currently ranked 12 in the Braves system. If he is a Top 50 guy, does than mean the Braves have 12 guys in the Top 50? If so, wow!!!

No, Gohara probably isn't even a Top 100 guy.

The Braves undersold Mallex too soon, and got a fat LHed version of Touki with shoulder issues in return.
    That's the first I've read on him and a curve. Pretty much everything else I've read mentions a real good slider. or am I imagining things again?
    Ivermectin Man

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Enscheff, serious question here..

Let me preface this with you seem to be a knowledgeable person who understands analytics and can bring a lot to a public forum. But with that being said, people have a hard time carrying on a conversation with you because of your objectivity and arrogance (whether you mean to come across as that or not) towards other posters. Just my opinion, and it's only that but you come across as one who automatically thinks your right and the other person is wrong before ever giving them a chance to explain. This isn't meant to be an attack or anything to the contrary, as like I said you can at times post some really insightful stuff but just in the wrong tone. So my question...

Why do you post on here?

Would love to hear your answer.

Enscheff any answer here my friend??
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"