Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting List Of Potential Spring Cuts...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Interesting List Of Potential Spring Cuts...

Just updating projected minor league rosters, and there are going to be quite a few interesting decisions to have to make during camp. Given several recent additions, there will be quite a few names "squeezed out" that might surprise us since they've not been focused on...

1.) d'Arnaud and Jace (and potentially even Adonis) - does Rodriguez take ABs at 2B or 3B until Albies takes over (assuming he doesn't win the job during camp)? With the additions of Micah Johnson and Camargo and return of Bonifacio, are both (Jace and Chase) now completely expendable? Johnson and Bonifacio offer more speed as well as arguably better defense in CF if utilized as super-subs, and Camargo is certainly a better defender at SS than either of them. With Valbuena and KJ still available, could you jettison all three and play Valbuena and Rodriguez at 3B and KJ and/or Johnson at 2B until Albies steps in?

2.) Chaz Roe - the brass is obviously high on Rivero, Winkler, and Luke Jackson, and Rivero and Winkler have to be on the active roster to be kept unless they can work out a deal to keep them. Not likely to be hard to find something they'd be willing to give up for Winkler (since he's coming off his injuries), but I'm relatively sure the Cubs would extract a painful piece in exchange for Rivero. With Minter, Dirks, Jackson, Hursh, Akeel Morris, and even potentially Walden hanging around, can you keep Roe if you need the roster spots for Rivero and Winkler? Don't forget, you also have Biddle returning and the Braves quietly added Andrew Albers as well.

3.) Connor Lien, Mel Rojas, and Ronnier Mustelier - the OF situation at the two highest levels in the minors is going to be an absolute mess. Bonifacio is likely to start in CF at Gwinnett if he doesn't replace d'Arnaud or Jace on the MLB roster. Then you have Johnson and Lane Adams as recent additions. Dustin Peterson stands out as an obvious candidate to fill one of the corner spots in AAA, and Meneses is coming off a solid season and strong winter ball showing. This would seem to be the perfect time for the organization to have Davidson repeat a level, but he and potentially even Acuna could factor into the discussion as corner guys at Mississippi at some point (obviously not until later in the season for Acuna).
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-15-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Camargo had a .683 OPS in AA. I think he should spend more time in the minors.

In the infield we need some lefty hitting partners for Adonis at third and Rodriguez at second. Jace can be one of those. D'Arnaud doesn't fit since he is a righty. Bonifacio doesn't fit because although he is a switch hitter he hits much better from the right side. My guess is we will sign either Kelly Johnson or Stephen Drew to provide an additional left handed hitting option for the infield and for the bench.

Micah Johnson is an option for the Drew/Kelly Johnson role. But I have a feeling they will try to stash him in the minors as extra depth. He has an option left.

If we go with an eight-man pen, which Snitker has hinted at, we have room for four bench players. Currently it looks like this: Recker, Jace, a signing like KJ or Drew. And one more. That last guy in all likelihood is a right-handed hitting outfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Pretty sure Lipka is with the Rangers now

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (01-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I get a very Martin Prado feeling when it comes to Camargo. Prado has a better track record in the minors but really 'found' it when he was 23.

I think the Braves view Camargo as the super util guy for the next 3 years starting in 2018.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-15-2017), JohnAdcox (01-16-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not sure that the money's there - or that the brass would spend it - but I do think we could make a couple under-the-radar signings that would make this team a lot more competitive than expected at this point.

Valbuena's market has failed to develop, and he and Adonis would make a perfect platoon at 3B. Offer a little less than MLBTR was projecting he'd get to get him to sign a one-year deal so he doesn't block Rio in the event he takes a step forward this season. Maybe $5 million for 2017 gets him since his market's kinda cratered on him. Platoon Rodriguez and Jace at 2B. Cut d'Arnaud loose and use Bonifacio as the 4th OF. That provides a right-handed option for Markakis' days off (Rodriguez), a left-handed option for Kemp's days off (Jace), and would still provide the flexibility to carry 8 guys in the pen.

I get that some folks aren't high on his pitch-framing and defense, but adding Wieters simply makes too much sense - if it can be done on our terms. I think it can. You have to figure that he and Borass always thought that returning to Baltimore would be a fallback option. It's not. The veteran adds to the rotation aren't likely going to be as concerned about having him behind the plate, so let Flowers catch Julio and Dickey, and unload Recker or Gosewisch - the offense would be MUCH stronger. Offer him 2/$20 million or 3/$27 million and see if he can beat it (or even wants to try).

Surprise everybody and sign Jerry Blevins. A Johnson/Blevins/Vizcaino/Krol back-end would be awfully strong.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-15-2017), thethe (01-15-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yup - knew there were several reasons I was updating spreadsheets!!!

LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure that the money's there - or that the brass would spend it - but I do think we could make a couple under-the-radar signings that would make this team a lot more competitive than expected at this point.

Valbuena's market has failed to develop, and he and Adonis would make a perfect platoon at 3B. Offer a little less than MLBTR was projecting he'd get to get him to sign a one-year deal so he doesn't block Rio in the event he takes a step forward this season. Maybe $5 million for 2017 gets him since his market's kinda cratered on him. Platoon Rodriguez and Jace at 2B. Cut d'Arnaud loose and use Bonifacio as the 4th OF. That provides a right-handed option for Markakis' days off (Rodriguez), a left-handed option for Kemp's days off (Jace), and would still provide the flexibility to carry 8 guys in the pen.

I get that some folks aren't high on his pitch-framing and defense, but adding Wieters simply makes too much sense - if it can be done on our terms. I think it can. You have to figure that he and Borass always thought that returning to Baltimore would be a fallback option. It's not. The veteran adds to the rotation aren't likely going to be as concerned about having him behind the plate, so let Flowers catch Julio and Dickey, and unload Recker or Gosewisch - the offense would be MUCH stronger. Offer him 2/$20 million or 3/$27 million and see if he can beat it (or even wants to try).

Surprise everybody and sign Jerry Blevins. A Johnson/Blevins/Vizcaino/Krol back-end would be awfully strong.
    Agreed. There are many permutations for the Braves being a mid 80's win team right now that could get hot at the right time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Camargo had a .683 OPS in AA. I think he should spend more time in the minors.

In the infield we need some lefty hitting partners for Adonis at third and Rodriguez at second. Jace can be one of those. D'Arnaud doesn't fit since he is a righty. Bonifacio doesn't fit because although he is a switch hitter he hits much better from the right side. My guess is we will sign either Kelly Johnson or Stephen Drew to provide an additional left handed hitting option for the infield and for the bench.

Micah Johnson is an option for the Drew/Kelly Johnson role. But I have a feeling they will try to stash him in the minors as extra depth. He has an option left.

If we go with an eight-man pen, which Snitker has hinted at, we have room for four bench players. Currently it looks like this: Recker, Jace, a signing like KJ or Drew. And one more. That last guy in all likelihood is a right-handed hitting outfielder.

I just think Rodriguez is that right-handed OF. That guy (even if it is someone else) isn't going to get many ABs as anything other than a pinch-hitter since Kemp and Markakis take so few days off. He's a better hitter than Frenchy and provides more flexibility. Again, JMO, but I think adding Valbuena to platoon with Adonis would be a much more substantial offensive upgrade (but that's just me).

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    D arnaud isn't worth a roster spot IMO. I think Micah has a lot more upside. But he and jace both can't hit lefties.

I'd love to get a vet on a below market price

I'm hoping Garcia plays well early and we can flip him for a useful non 40 man piece so we can open room for albies and get something. Or maybe he shows he can be a rh pinch hitter and backup in the corners

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    This is correct. It even had its own thread.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I completely agree that if the Braves can get bargain deals on Valbuena and Wieters, they should make it happen. If they add a RHed 4th OFer like Jennings or Jackson, and use him as a daily defensive replacement for Kemp and 1-2 starts per week in place of Inciarte or Markakis against LHed starters, they should do so as well.

They should be able to add 3-4 wins to this roster for under $20M total in 2017, at which point we can seriously start talking about 80-85 wins and possible WC relavence.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    I just think Rodriguez is that right-handed OF. That guy (even if it is someone else) isn't going to get many ABs as anything other than a pinch-hitter since Kemp and Markakis take so few days off. He's a better hitter than Frenchy and provides more flexibility. Again, JMO, but I think adding Valbuena to platoon with Adonis would be a much more substantial offensive upgrade (but that's just me).
    Well, Sean hits RH and plays OF, but if he does that against LHP, who's on second? It ain't Jace. I think we probably need a RH who can play CF as well as the corners. It's not going to be a lot of ABs - 100, 150 - might as well not break the bank with a big dollar guy. Perhaps that's Micah Johnson, who also plays IF. Wait, no, he's a lefty. <sigh>

Anyway, positional flexibility becomes very important in a bench guy when you've only got four and one's a catcher.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 01-16-2017 at 07:40 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

Well, Sean hits RH and plays OF, but if he does that against LHP, who's on second? It ain't Jace. I think we probably need a RH who can play CF as well as the corners. It's not going to be a lot of ABs - 100, 150 - might as well not break the bank with a big dollar guy. Perhaps that's Micah Johnson, who also plays IF. Wait, no, he's a lefty. <sigh>

Anyway, positional flexibility becomes very important in a bench guy when you've only got four and one's a catcher.

Things have been terribly quiet on the Albies front- too quiet, if you ask me. Will need to do some digging, but I recall a discussion with Coppy (I think) where Ozzie was described as "well ahead of schedule" in his rehab, and that barring setbacks he would be given the chance to make the team during camp if he's healthy. While that doesn't seem ideal since you'd be starting both he and Swanson's clocks at the same times, I still wouldn't be shocked to see Ozzie at 2B to open the new park (one of the reasons I paid through the nose for my ticket to the home opener). Just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing the brass is already working on the numbers it's going to take to lock Swanson up and provide even more cost-certainty, so staggering clocks isn't likely going to be nearly as important if they do that.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Things have been terribly quiet on the Albies front- too quiet, if you ask me. Will need to do some digging, but I recall a discussion with Coppy (I think) where Ozzie was described as "well ahead of schedule" in his rehab, and that barring setbacks he would be given the chance to make the team during camp if he's healthy. While that doesn't seem ideal since you'd be starting both he and Swanson's clocks at the same times, I still wouldn't be shocked to see Ozzie at 2B to open the new park (one of the reasons I paid through the nose for my ticket to the home opener). Just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing the brass is already working on the numbers it's going to take to lock Swanson up and provide even more cost-certainty, so staggering clocks isn't likely going to be nearly as important if they do that.
    Interesting thought. I'm not usually worried about rushing prospects- you gotta start somewhere - but that would really be rushing the prospect.

I'd feel better about it had he been more successful at Gwinnett. But it doesn't seem to have hurt Dansby, maybe they move forward.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Interesting...I agree.

Albies is 20 (or 19?) and hurt. So I was assuming he'd start in the minors.

I was thinking they'd play Jace and Adonis and hope someone catches lightning in a bottle for a flip.

But I could see them starting both guys. Hitting Albies at 9th or 8th to protect him. Albies will come to FA years SOOO young that he could be very expensive if he lives up to 75% of the hype.

I do agree they'll sign Swanson long term and soon. Assuming he doesn't fall flat on his face they'll look to lock him up next off season or maybe the one after like Simba.

But if Albies is up, then he's starting. So that makes having Rod, Jace and Adonis not make a lot of sense for me.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm thinking ole Emilio Bonofacio may take that last bench spot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    That's a power move

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Does anybody really peg Bonifacio as more than Gwinnett material?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I certainly hope not. There are several options that are much better still available. Jennings, Jackson, Pagan, just to name 3.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's a power move
    Haha..Yeah it is. It's not my preference, but I'm thinking with only a 4 man bench they're going to want utility guys who can play multiple positions.